Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy or not to buy?

I'm looking to buy my first volvo, and 850.

I found a guy who is selling his far for $2,000 obo. Looks like it won't start, it's at a mechanic parked, needs a valve job.

I talked to the Mechanic, he said it needs a valve job and that at the same time he's going to do the timing belt and the water pump. He says he'll do all this for $1,400.

Car is an 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo with 120,000 miles.

According to the mechanic, after the valve job the car should be good to go. This mechanic has been the mechanic on this car for previous upkeep.

So, I can't see the car run before I'd commit to buying it. That has me a lot worried, but at the same time, if the guy would take 1k for the car, it might be worth the chance along with the 1,400 in repairs.

Any thoughts? Would this be a terrible move? Good chance for a deal?

I like that I'd know right away the timing belt and water pump were fresh, but there could be other problems?

Old 05-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To buy or not to buy?

Hey now Tim Halberg,

IF he's willing to take $1K and IF he's willing to do the work for $1400 I would have him put the car on a lift and take a Real Good Look as there could be other issues.

You say that he has serviced this car in the past? If this is the case then he'll have records of the previous done. Ask to see them. I'll not go into the issues that I went through with The Anvil.[:@]

You say that the car needs a valve job. Or, rather, the mechanic tells you that the valve job is needed.My question is "Why"?

What led to the need for a valve job? Remember, most people will not tell the whole truth when they bring a car in with that much/type ofdamage.[8D]

The Volvo has an "interferance engine" which means that the pistons and valves occupy the same space in the engine, just not at the same time. This means that if a valve job is needed then there may also be piston damage and that wouldrequire a replacement engine as when my water pump bearing went and with the pump seizing up, snapped the timing belt which meant that the pistons were still moving, due to momentum, and slapped against the valves, that were no longer moving, causing minor to major bending of said valves and left four dents (minor to major)in the top of each piston which meant the engine was TOAST.[:@]

RECOMMEDATION

If you have a friend who owns a Volvo, take him/her with you when you go to look at the car on a lift as two pairs of eyes are better.

IMO, I would pass on this one and find one in running condition as these can be very expensive cars to repair and you really don't want to spend cheap on a car just to have to put more cash than you intended and then be stuck with no choice but to continue because getting another car is out of the question.[:@]

$1000(car) + $1400(repairs) + $$$$ other things that seem to just "POP" up and are needed before the car can hit the road.

If you can, get a pic or two of the car. Better for us to see what you're being offered.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Well said! All very good points. Main thing I would add is that I would DEFINITELY ask why it needs a valve job (see Interference engine info above)

I have found that if these cars are not well maintained they can be expensive, but if you do the work yourself and take decent care of the car, they can be quite reliable.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to disagree at all with what the other guys said, but when you think of a 94 850 Turbo with 120K on it for $2400 you are talking a pretty good deal. It probably needs a valve job cause the timing belt broke, and like was said above that could mean piston damage. But if the mechanic is telling you he will get the car running and fixed for $1400, have him put that in writing. There is a chance he has already taken the head off and knows what the damage is. If he has worked on this car previously, you need to get a feel for honest he is being with you. There are honest people out there and who knows this guy just might be one of them. Too many times we have come accustomed to not trusting anybody, and I find this sad. Now if the guy wants $2,000 for the car plus $1400 for repairs, I would walk away cause you can get one for $3,000 pretty easily.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now to everyone above,

When I bought The Anvil a few years back for $3000CDN I got a lot of "records of service" with it and I thought that I was finally having a little luck. Little did I know what was to come. See "Expensive Habit"

To my surprise the safety for the car cost me $1000 []as I had to replace all four tail lights and the passenger headlight. I have, since that point in time, learned to do a lot of the things that I can for myself and now only take it to the shop for the things that I "Don't" feel comfortable with. Just painted the bumpers and trim. Had a good time doing it, but I digress.

Hope it doesn't take it long to load you you folks. I took a lot of pictures.
http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

If you can see the the engine with the head off (great)and examine the pistons for scarring/dents/dings, and find that there is none, then you may have a winner there. The pistons would be aluminium, soft metal as we all know, but the valves are hardened steel and when the two come into contact when the engine is running, [:@],the pistons always lose that battle.

While I'm all for a good deal I would be careful. As I said earlier, I got what I thought was a good deal but it turned out The Anvil needed a steering rack, power steering lines, rear main seal, front left drive shaft due to missing ABS sensor ring, sway bar links, radiator, A/C compressor/ cap, shocks, struts,pads and rotorsall around including the emergency brake.All of this seemed to start going to pot about1.5/months after Ihad the car [:@]. And this car had a large, and I mean a big whackido,amount of service records.

For $2400 + what ever taxes and little ****ly (always wanted to use that word)thingsdoesn't sound like a bad deal. will he give you some kind of warranty for the work on the engine? Or will you get the "Tail Light Or In Half" Warranty? "When I don't see your tail lights, you don't have a warranty", or, "you get the FULL guarantee - if it breaks in half - you get to KEEP BOTH halves" [sm=smiley36.gif]

Let us know which way you're going to go and just pop by the place and take a few pic's. It's not that we can't read, we just like the pretty pictures.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>Too many times we have come accustomed to not trusting anybody, and I find this sad

+1.

JPN