Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

A/C Does Not Cool Good When HOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a used compressor put in my T-5R last spring after I got it and it worked good for about 60 days. Then it started cyceling. My favorite A/C shop said that compressor was leaking so I went back to the guy that installed the used compressor and they serviced it for free with leak detector (dye). Two months later it was 1/2 working again. Just like you said, great at 85 or below, not worth a dang over that. It gets 105 almost every day here in July & August so A/C is a must, all day and night. So I went back and they serviced it again and claimed they could not find a leak. Said glowing area looked like old dye (whatever). So they cleaned it all off with some special cleaner and off I went. They also showed me how to check the evaperator coil.

So I went to the store and picked up my own leak detection kit (light & goggles). When it started cyceling again I started hunting for the leak and low and behold my evaperator was leaking and there was some spots on the compressor. So I figured I needed to replace the evaperator. Being that it was in October and I was recovering from my daughters college tuition, I didn't hurt myself to get another one.

So now it's spring, getting hot, and no cash for a new evaporator. So I was in O'Railly's and notice the A/C service stuff there. The guy at the register talked me into getting the large can of synthetic stuff that had the hose & guage on it. It also had some STOP LEAK in it. I hooked it up and emptied the can. Started cyceling and pressure was still a little low so I went back and got a small can (I think it's 12 oz) and emptied that in there. That was about a month ago (mid May 2010) and it still blows 100% cold and does not cycle.

I think the system could have been totally empty when I started and now has enough to keep it going properly. NO A/C is not an option for me. I'd rather stay home and let the world end than to drive around sweating like a pig in my car. The A/C works great in the 960 so I would just drive it.

I will post back when and if it starts cyceling again. I am not sure if the stop leak actually would stop leaks in the evaperator. From what I have read, it is to help expand seals, not stop leaks in the evaperator coil. I still want to fix the car but just need to get the extra cash for the parts.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The other day I turned it on and the compressor ran for maybe 30 seconds then started cycling again. It's not cooling at all now. Guess I'm going to have to take it somewhere.