Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Can someone tell me where to find the flame trap/pcv filter/insert?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone tell me where to find the flame trap/pcv filter/insert?

Hello...
Newbie here. I'm trying to find where my flame trap insert/filter is located.This is my first Volvo & I'm blowing oil out of the filler cap and dipstick. I'm guessing this is the problem,but I've no idea where the part is so I can clean/replace it,!! Can someone help me please?
Thank you!!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Default RE: Can someone tell me where to find the flame trap/pcv filter/insert?

It is on the intake side of the flex hose coming from your air filter housing. I ordered the flame kit from fcp groten, and it was only about $5 and had all the bits.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/ftrap.php

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I wish you find it helpful & enjoyable.

As you look at the engine bay from front of the car,the PCVsystemis to the left under the intake manifold.

I wouldn't try cleaning it; just replace the flame trap & hoses with a new kit:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm#850

Make sure to order the correct kit for your model, as there seem to be a few different kits. Also, when you decide to do it by yourself, order intake manifold gasket as you'll have to disconnect the manifold.

I hope this gets you started.

JPN

The following users liked this post:
louella (06-28-2022)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because his flame trap is gunked up doesn't mean that all the connecting hoses are; therefore, he many not need to remove the intake manifold.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies & advice! My only remaining question is...is the trap/insert easily accessible,or do I need to go 'deep' into the motor/manifold,etc. to get to it?I had varying answers,so I'm still not clear on that.When I went to FCPGROTON the site had a diagram that showed all the parts,(with lots of plumbing compared to the 'normal/typical PCV on most cars) but did not show all that plumbing in relation to the rest of the motor.
Thanks so much for all the help,everyone!! Times are tight right now & I can't afford to take it somewhere. You're saving me money already & I appreciate it.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The answer to your question is yes & no. It is semi-deep but not too bad. You will need a new intake manifold gasket, as you will have to disconnect it to gain access to the PCV components. Look at the engine bay and the PCV components are right under the intake manifold, to the left as you view the engine.

The reason why I recommend replacing the system as a kit is, you don't want to go back in there soon after having it cleaned, etc... and find out that there was another faulty hose/connection, etc... If you replace the entire system as a kit, however, there is much less chance of going back there. It is up to people to whether to clean the hoses or replace them. If it were my car, I would simply replace the entire system as a kit. So, it is not mandatory that you replace the entire kit, and it is my personal recommendation that you do.

Best wishes,

JPN