Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Car just made a weird noise...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changed to Stereo Questions...HA.

I just started my car for the first time today to run a couple errands, and when I turned it on and the rpm's went to 1.5 and then back down to 1 like they always, however, on the way back down from 1.5 to 1 there was a weird grindy/creeking noise. Turned the car off, turned it back on and the same thing happened, only not as bad. Turned it off, turned it back on and nothing. I then pulled out of my parking spot, put it into drive and pressed on the gas and it made the noise again, not as loud as before, but it was there, stopped, and went and same noise, and then it didn't do it anymore after that.

The sound felt like it was coming almost right in front of me, that's the impressions I got. I talked to the guy at NAPA when I was there getting some restore and told him about it, and he said maybe a belt tensioner, I just don't know why a tensioner would only make that sound cold.

So it only occurs when the car is cold. I drove it and it drove fine, didn't make any other noises, transmission shift great, nothing different than yesterday. However, I first noticed yesterday that when I took off from a stop there was a small creaking noise, only happened a couple times and it was when I took off kind of hard, it did it once today too, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I know the heat shield underneath the turbo by the downpipe is loose, so I think it might be that because that's where it sounded like it was coming from.

I would like to add that the only maintenance I have done on my car is changed the turbo housing and added an exhaust. So I don't know if removing the turbo or anything like that could have triggered something.

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Last edited by gilber33; 07-23-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Last timing belt and pulleys?

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Ok, so I think I may have found the noise. With my new heat down pipe, there was really no clearance between that and the heat shield, I bent the heat shield up a little bit last weekend after installation. I looked under the hood and the heat shield was once again resting on the downpipe. I think after starting it a couple times it was right between the point of not touching it and basically making out with the down pipe and that made the vibrations as the engine revved "forward" and then back on the rpm drop, and it was just enough to leave it resting on the DP. I think that's what the other vibrations that I mentioned when I accelerated hard was that, with the extra boost and torque going through it, it was able to touch and make that noise.

God I'm good. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Timing belt was just redone recently and the pullies were all in good shape.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be the "easiest solution" thread I have seen as long as I have been a member! lol...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM

hahaha. We'll see, hopefully that's what it is, I have no idea what else it could be, it makes sense to be that.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM

Do your self a favor, and go knock on wood real quick. Like you said, I hope that's what it is!

Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad it is good now!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM

We'll find out once I go to my cabin this weekend and my dad and I can get in there with a big wrench or something and bend it.

On brighter note, I did get my stereo today after my break in, got it installed and it works and everything. But now my subwoofer doesn't have power and the rear driver deck speaker isn't working. So now I have to figure that out. oooooh well.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
On brighter note, I did get my stereo today after my break in, got it installed and it works and everything. But now my subwoofer doesn't have power and the rear driver deck speaker isn't working. So now I have to figure that out. oooooh well.
I can help. Did you have the Basslink professionally installed? I believe your problem is the signal wire that runs from the head unit to the amp to tell the amp to turn on.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:01 PM

I installed the basslink. There really isn't any wiring between the basslink and the headunit. The only thing that connects them is the RCA cables to deliver the sound. Otherwise the remote turn on is wired into the antenna and the power is wired into my cigarette lighter.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

But I went out there this morning to check it, and now my sub has power. So I don't know what it was last night that it didn't. Hopefully when I can install it later today and I get everything connected it will still have power.

And then I need to listen to my rear speakers and hopefully it's just my rear deck speaker that's not working, because if it's the door speaker too, then I know there's something wrong with my 850 harness.

Does anyone know if I can buy a stereo harness or where I could find one?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Your sub is powered from your cigarette lighter? What gauge wire is it? How many watts is the sub?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM

The cigarette lighter has constant power going to it. So I disconnected the lighter and used the wiring from that. I don't remember what gauge wire we used, we installed it probably like 6 years ago, so I wouldn't remember. It was legit wire though and it works fine. It has a 200 watt class D amp.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 PM

I have a 900W amp and had to use wire as thick as your index finger. I don't know how you get away with such tiny wiring.

What do you mean the signal wire goes to the antenna?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM

The remote wire. It's spliced in with the antenna wire, it tells it to turn on when you turn the the car on. The basslink has ground, remote, and power wires. And then a bass control that goes up to the front so you can turn it up and down, and then wires to connect it to the head unit, whether it be RCA cables or speaker wire that spliced in with the speakers.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Right, my remote turn on is run to my head unit I forgot you could splice into the antenna.

I guess check to make sure that wire is on and then to see if your power antenna is working. If not, check to make sure there is 12V from the cigarette lighter.

Other than that there is nothing that could be wrong.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 PM

Yeah, I know. That's why I was so confused. I was like, well it doesn't matter if there's a head unit or not, it should still have power. I check it this morning and it had power, so when I get home I'll install everything and it should all work, I'm tired of listening to the radio. Then I have to figure out what's wrong with the rear deck speaker.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Radio sucks nowaday with Britney Spears new sh*t and lady gaga, etc.

My firends and I have discussed and have dubbed this the annoying era in music because all songs nowadays have an annoying beat that gets stuck in your head. We have a station called z107.7 that plays nothing but the same 5 songs looped. lol.

For some reason if my drivers side rear deck speaker is disconnected, all the speakers refuse to play... strange.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Are they all on a circuit or something? Hm, well maybe then it's just the speaker, because all the other speakers work, I really hope the rear drivers side door speaker works. I would hate to have to mess with the harness. How are the wires split up in the back? do they just splice somewhere and then go to the separate speakers?

Quick Reply: Car just made a weird noise...