Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Do I Need A New Turbo Intake Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do I Need A New Turbo Intake Hose?

I was doing the PCV system on my T5R and the the piece that the hose goes to from the oil trap came out of the Turbo Intake hose. Do I need to get a new intake hose or can the piece be put back in? Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

I tried to get it to pop back in but could not get it to stay. I might remove the entire hose and see if I can get it in when the hose is off the car. Not much room to work down the behind the engine.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is comparatively very easy to pop it in with the intake hose removed from the engine. If the rubber gromet on yours (PTC) is not damagd or torn then you might be able to put it back in the hose without problem. In my case it was in bad shape, specially the lip that goes inside the hose, so I strapped the PTC back on hose using 2 long cable ties untill I found a better condition component from the wreckers.

I would suggest putting 2 cable ties in cross position to hold it in place and it should work fine.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Actually mine was in good shape and when I took the hose off it was fairly easy to get back in the hole. I did put a cable strap around it to hold it though.

Now my next problem: Does anybody know where this electrical connection goes? It's coming out from under the intake manifold, but not really sure if is should go there or up unde the intake manifold.

Here is a picture I took before taking anything off and I am fairly certain it's not the hookup you see in this picture because I don't think I unhooked that one and it does not look like it would reach that far anyway.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

I went ahead and put it together with that electric plug not hooked up. It started and ran, but would not idle. I took it for a drive and got it up to normal operating temp and it ran fine, but when I got back home it was surging up to about 2000 rpms. I would tap the gas pedal and the idle would come down and then go back up. Sounds like I have a vacuum leak somewhere or could that electric hookup have something to do with it? I sure hope I don't have to take the thing back apart.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:25 PM

Wonder if its not the connector from the EGR temperature sensor?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't the tempature sensor up with the thermostat? Or are you talking about some outher temp sensor, and if so where? It's a fairly short wire so it has to go somewhere on the driver's side. It will not come out any further than what you see in the picture, which leads me to believe it goes somewhere under the intake mainfold. It does look kind of dirty inside so there is a chance it's was nto hooked up.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

That might be the plug for the EGR temp sensor off the EGR valve.
But that also should not really make it not idle.
I would also check for a Vacuum leak.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Jim,

I'm not sure what that connector is doing there in the picture you posted before taking everything off. That location is one of the knock sensors and it should just have convoluted tubing covered lead(s) running to it similar to what is running to the other one over the breather box.

I'm just finishing up my own PCV system that I started on Saturday. There is no electrical connection like that under the manifold that I recall. Is the mystery connector the throttle body electrical connection, the item labeled 4B on step 4 of the the lakeside PCV replacement instructions? (pic attached) I'll try to look around as I finish buttoning everything back up on mine and let you know if I find anything else it might be.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Do I Need A New Turbo Intake Hose?-pic04.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Nope deifinitely not that. Thanks for looking. Where is the EGR temp sensor? Can't stay on much here at work, but will look again at lunch time.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:04 AM

The EGR temperature sensor is right on the EGR valve located just below the throttle body...Can this be the connector from the throttle position sensor?...that certainly will make the engine run rough as you mentioned.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

I have that one connected. There were two electrical hookups that I hooked up and that was on of them. I have no idea where the 3rd belongs though. It would not be long enough to reach the EGR though.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well I figured out where the plug went. I went the wrong direction with it. It was the plug into the new oil trap. In my picture you really can't see the electrical hookup and I just missed it. It's all ready to put back together, but I don't feel like working on it any more tonight.

It sure is nice having three cars so you can just let one sit there and work on it and drive another one that's just as nice. Also nice to be able to just open the hood on the other car to figure out how to hook things back up. When I reached up under the intake manifold on the white one I knew the wire went the other direction and I had no choice but to take the manifold back off. Didn't take it all the way off this time either, just lifted the passenger side up enough to get to the oil trap.

Hope the hell it runs good when I get it together. After all it ran fine when I took it apart and it really was not in bad shape at all. Probably not even necessary to do it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Glad that its figured out..

Old 03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my oil trap didnt have an electrical connector..is this only on turbos?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

All back together and it runs like crap. Runs very rough and stalls. I have not driven it yet, but it doesn't sound good. I really wish I would have never done this. Probably going to take it to the independent shop and see what they say.

Might have over reacted just a little there. I took it up the road a little ways and back, got it up to normal operating temp and when I got home it was idling, but still a little rough. It's dark and I don't want to drive it any more tonight, so I think I will try taking it to work tomorrow and see how it goes.

I did pull the fuel rail out and put it back in without replacing the O rings, but other than that I know I got it back together the right way. All my hoses are in the right place and I do not see any lose vacuum lines. I did replace one that was very brittle. There is kind of funny sound down under the Power Steering pump that I have never heard before. Not sure what that might be. It's kind of a rattle thumping sound that goes away when I give it gas.

Last edited by JimKW; 03-25-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Double check all electrical connections.

Any codes?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Tech reread my post. I was editing it while you responded.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Maybe the tensioner flopping for the noise?

Also did you get the hose on the end of the intake on all the way with a clamp?

Also see if it throws any codes tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the hose on the end of the intake is on and it has a small spring clamp on it. It's tight. The CEL is not on so far, but I have not driven it much at all. Probably less than a mile.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Administrator

See what happens tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Do I Need A New Turbo Intake Hose?