Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

does a fixed odometer and on emission light, resolve a flashing (transmission) light?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a fixed odometer and on emission light, resolve a flashing (transmission) light?

I had the arrow flashing on dashboard which relates to transmission. Oddly the day after it initially flashed it was okay again and car running fine. Then while driving down the highway it started flashing again and the fuel guage and kmh guage died, worrying. I rang and told the mechanic I was bringing it straight to him (he told me to do this if I ever have any issues with the car).

Today he rang me, it's ready. He had already planned to fix the odometer for me and changed the switch in there so it's working now, I asked if he had fixed the flashing light issue which relates to transmission, he said it's not a problem now, so I mentioned it wasn't the day after it was the last time, but don't let that fool you. He has checked it he said and it's aok now?

Question time: Would fixing the odometer resolve that problem with the flashing orange light on the dash then???
I am very now

I thought the arrow related to a transmission issue not fixing the odometer and addressing the emission light that had always been on continuously, but MAYBE that does fix it all then?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

No it wont.

You either have a problem with the transmission or a bad PNP switch. The fashing arrow means the car has dropped into the "Limp Home Mode", it tries to save the transmission. You should check the fluid level and go from there.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.

The following thread has a step-by-step way to check the tranny fluid level. Checking the tranny fluid level is much different from the rest of the fluid/oil:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-s-v70s-9266/

My 850 used to do the same, with the tranny fluid being low for as little as a half quart.

If there is an Antozone near you, have them run the free OBD-II diagnostic service. Their code reader should be able to pull codes out of the tranny ECU (Electronic CTRL Unit; a computer).

JPN

Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

These are the Volvo manuals instructions.

CHECKING FLUID LEVEL
1) Ensure vehicle is level. Apply parking brake and gear
selector lever to "P" position. Start and idle engine. Move gear
selector lever through all gears, while pausing 4-5 seconds for
engagement at each position.
2) Return gear selector lever to "P" position. Wait 2 minutes
and check fluid level with engine idling. Level should be between MIN
and MAX marks.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM

Thankyou.

I checked the fluid level though last month, after it was serviced and it was fine, will do it again as per the instructions, though may not bother now as I am set on trading the car in for a newer Japanese car again, had enough of this volvo already, won't be buying one again.

Thanks anyway..

I almost got ripped off today by $200 for the mechanic (one that was recommended on this forum actually), I can say this as the fault was not fixed, he changed a switch in the odometer and before told me it would be working again and when I collected told me it was too.. it wasn't! Same issue came up as I drove, flashing light, no mileage showing, so what was fixed exactly? Nothing. I rang him slightly peeved and he said straight away to come back he'd refund me, which made me feel better again obviously. I did this, then I passed a car trader, 2 on the way home, and visited both. Told them what I wanted, 2nd one was better, for a newer car, so all being well I will be getting me a 4 yr old Nissan Sentra with 50K on the clock.. much better. I had a Nissan Sentra before, 2003 with zilch go wrong on me, got that with low mileage too. This car though.. what a headache, no more volvos for me..

Last edited by blackcomb1; 12-03-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Administrator

[QUOTE=blackcomb1;336360 This car though.. what a headache, no more volvos for me..[/QUOTE]
"I own a 1995 Volvo 850, 2.4 engine, with economy and sport options, I opt economy all the time for less fuel usage. Love my volvo! My Dad has owned his for years, they're great, safe cars."

You might want to think about changing your signature
Good luck with your Sentra and don't worry about those brake failures.

Attached Thumbnails does a fixed odometer and on emission light, resolve a flashing (transmission) light?-sentra-rear.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 AM

I fixxed my flashing arrow by cleaning corrosion from two pins on the ECM.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
"I own a 1995 Volvo 850, 2.4 engine, with economy and sport options, I opt economy all the time for less fuel usage. Love my volvo! My Dad has owned his for years, they're great, safe cars."

You might want to think about changing your signature
Good luck with your Sentra and don't worry about those brake failures.
Ha! Believe me I tried for ages and then gave up, it wasn't easy to work out how, and I did the search for changing signature and still couldn't find any way of editing it. I did amend my profile to reflect I was getting rid though.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyJ
I fixxed my flashing arrow by cleaning corrosion from two pins on the ECM.
Funny you mention that, the thought crossed my mind just sticking that wire into that thing, which tells you the error code. I noticed when he put the wire in it turned it off (at least temporarily), the guy at the garage did this only after I prompted him and fed back what I do actually know about cars, and a bit of what I knew about volvos from this forum (I hate mechanics who wrongly assume us women know nothing.. grrr), it's why I took a basic car maintenance course back in England, UK where I come from originally in the first place (as I told that mechanic). The funny thing was it was all women on the course, there for the same reason as I was, to show those ruddy mechanics we do know some things and tell them what is wrong with our car rather than have them try and fool us (to gain more money of course by ripping us off).

Most my friends back there are Engineers (and techies from RAF days), I fixed my mountain bike once when I had time back then, changed the gear cable and rear derailer, and brake cable using a simple book as a guide, the techies said I actually did a really good job! all it needed was tuning up which is the point I was at when I turned to them for help in any case. I have also put a wardrobe up (from scratch back there), an electrician came by my place to do something once in the kitchen, by the time he left I had put this wardrobe together and he was shocked I did that myself.

So never assume a woman knows nothing (to any car mechanics on here).

I won't be bothering to do much with this car anymore, except adding a bit of fuel to get me from A-B, because it's getting traded in for a newer car. I assume it will be as they have not rejected my offer and have asked for a bit more information yesterday, and again today as my credit rating was not as high as it should be for the 5 credit checks done in too short a time period (moved and renting, visa card applied and acquired for a low limit as I handle them as they should be, wisely, and then a few other things leading credit checks being done, all within 10 months, but at least they noted all that on my showing them a copy of it, and also that I had a more expensive car a few years back where no payments were ever missed, and I am employed and was before etc, with a very secure job starting next month. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't go ahead to be honest.

Last edited by blackcomb1; 12-05-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Administrator

I like working with women. Those that don't know will stand there and tell you they don't know. I can work with that and try another way to find out what I need to.
With a guy, once they look you in the eye and say "what does it matter" or "they're all the same" you know it's going to go down hill fast because either they think they know and will fight you with their stupidity or they don't know and just won't admit it and still fight you.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 PM

True true.

Though I preferred working with men, most of them back in the U.K as I did when in the RAF, you still had your few bitchy ones but not as bad as most women can be. Actually I take that back, once I did encounter a group of horrible guys (followers) that were quite bitchy. But on the whole you tend to find that more working with women, and their hormones don't excuse them where I am concerned, it's no excuse, it's more to do with their personality.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Administrator

To edit signature:

1. USER CP
2. Along the left menu, EDIT SIGNATURE

The rest is history. You can cut and paste this: "1995 Volvo 850, 2.4 engine, with economy and sport options, I opt economy all the time for less fuel usage. Not much of a fuel savings, fell in Love with this Volvo, only to get heart broken! My Dad has owned his for years, they're great, safe cars, but to costly and this one, to old for me".

Old 12-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Or migrate south and I'll help you keep it running.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:02 AM

Problem is not the signature, but how to edit it at all. I couldn't see a pencil icon under that one, yet there is on the others so they are easy to edit, and I spent ages trying to figure it out before, then gave up. But I am sure you will explain that to me loud and clear too rspi, since you're so good

Old 12-08-2012, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
Or migrate south and I'll help you keep it running.
Heh. Do you turn into a 'handsome Prince' when someone kisses you Mr Kissafrog?

Sweet offer, and you're a friendly bunch down there, but the reason I chose Canada over the US is due to the health care system not being to my taste, fancy buildings maybe but not sure about the health care system.
And the food tastes a bit better up here though it's still not as great as our British food but it's good I can easily find it here compared to BC. I took a road trip down the east coast to Oregon, then up through the Canadian rockies via Idaho about 3 yrs ago, rock climbed Smith Rock, and nearly went down to Salt lake city to rock climb with an ice climber down there who suddenly died (not through climbing but a medical condition, which was sad) he was quite funny too and interacted a lot as he did with other climbers from a big climbing forum.

Therefore, move North and you can still keep my car running

Here health care is like ours in many ways (apart from ours is free for citizens in the UK as it should be) though there is a lack of team work with other nurses in acute care, and no real support network on the ward unlike ours in the UK, and they tend not to smile much or at all! Hence I prefer community nursing here but I will do the occasional acute shift to keep up my skills, though when working there I remember why I left acute care and didn't miss it.
Who wants to see a miserable face at work? Patients certainly don't, they feel ill already without having to be made to feel worse for having to look at 'Little Miss misery guts'.'

Last edited by blackcomb1; 12-08-2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add the handsome part
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by blackcomb1
Therefore, move North and you can still keep my car running '

Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Lol, I'm out.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:39 PM

with a user name like kissafrog how can you not have a joke with it