Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine light

Wondering if any one can help me figure out the possible problem on my volvo 950 model 1996 sedan. I start the car few hours ago, the engine runs like I'm pressing gas then it's slows down, them goes up again i'm not even touching the gas pedal. I finally made it run, i was on stop sign when the engine died, i restart then the same symptoms engine runs up and down then stop, then waited for few second retart again it runs till i got home. Can it be clogged up fuel filter? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: engine light

Hi maron96,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

>my Volvo 950 model 1996 sedan
You mean, 850, correct?

I doubt it's just a clogged fuel filter. Engine problems require some testings, so this is just my assumption.

1. Try pulling codes from the ECU. I don't know if '96 model has OBD-I, but since it has OBD-II, try visiting an auto parts store such as AutoZone, and ask them to pull codes for you, it should be free.

2. I assume the engine control, most likely idle control system, is having problem with one of the electronic sensors. This type of problem is generally beyond the capability of generic town garages, you'd have to go to either the dealer or a shop that specializes in Swedish/European cars. If all sensors are fine, then it could be a faulty fuel pump/pump relay.

Do you have a maintenance record of the car? If not, have you been following scheduled maintenance?

Please provide us with any other info that may pinpoint the problem. M. Tech/other expertswill be able to give you better diagnosis than I could.

Good night,

JPN

Old 01-22-2007, 03:31 AM

[align=left]Thanks for the quick reply, it's 850 not 950 my bad.....thanks for your suggestion, i'm taking it to autozone tomorrow to pull the code, volvo center is about 3 hours drive away from my place i don't think it's a good idea to drive this car that far. I'll try to look for someone that can fix european can close to my area. Do you have any idea on how much it will cost to fix? Thank you so much!
[/align]

Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 AM
JPN

Hello again maron96,

You're right, it's not safe to drive the car as it is for 3 hours away.

When you go to a local shop, make sure that they have up-to-date diagnostic equipment, as well as they have fully-certified ASE Master technicians who have expertise in Volvo.

As to the cost, it really depends on what the car needs. Whatever the case may be, insist on installing OEM parts (if parts are needed), rather than using generic, cheap parts if you plan to keep you car for more than 2 years. Volvo's are extremely sensitive to the quality of parts. In general, Volvo uses German (Bosch), Swedish (Volvo/Scan-tech)or British (Sachs) parts.

Anyway, the problem seems to be consistent, which makes it easier to diagnose. Is CEL (check engine light) on, by the way? Is your 850 turbo, or non-turbo? Open the hood and visually check to see if there is a hose that is disconnected, etc... Give us as much info as possible.

That's all I can do for now.

Good night,

JPN

Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 AM
JPN

Sorry I overlooked the title, the CEL must be on.

As it is 2:30 a.m. in Central, I'll reply later.

Cheers,

JPN

Old 01-22-2007, 12:43 PM

JPN, thanks for your reply....my car is non turbo. I took it to Oreilly this morning a friend of mine works there, he pull the code it was P103 I don't know what it mean, anyway he said ectronic sensor need to be replace. I place the order of the part which is about 150 bucks and to be pick tomorrow. I was told how to replace it, it was the sensor core close to the air filter. Is it possible just to have it clean instead if replacing it?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
JPN

Hi maron96,

P103 is a manufacturer's code, and it only appears on a decent OBD-II scanner. My local AutoZone uses a scanner called Actron CP9175 ($150 for sale), and this one gives you both the mfg code and the description of the fault. Moderator Tech could tell you what the code is, as well as better diagnosis of the problem, but he seems busy in the last few days.

Is the parts you ordered returnable? If so, I would wait buying it until it's 100% the sensor that's giving you the problem. It would be disappointing to see the engine having the problem even after installing the new sensor. If it's the sensor, itmay bethe Mass Air Flow sensor. This sensor provides air flow inputs to the Electronic Engine Control Unit (ECU, ECM, EEC, etc...), and the ECU determines the amount of fuel required by the engine at the given moment (other sensors provide signals to the ECU as well).

Anyway, I would first check the electrical connector to make sure they are secure (sometimes unplugging/plugging solves the problem).Very often, electronic system problems are due to poor connections or something as simple.

I do not believe that the sensors can be cleaned, but I could be wrong. Also, the problem could be one of the followings:

1. Idle Air Control Valve (suspicious)
2. Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (depends on the model)
3. Throttle Position Sensor (not likely)

As you can see, it could be anything but if you can ask your friend to tell you the mfg code, most likely that component/sensor is the culprit.

I just did a quick search and P103 might be Intake Air Temp Sensor, though this may not be true, as mfg code changes IAW model year.

If you can, ask your friend to see if you can "try" the sensor to see if it cures the problem, but I doubt it as electronic components are usually not returnable, once the package is opened, but it can't hurt to ask.

If you plan to keep your car more than 2 years, I would invest in a Haynes/Chilton's manual and study it. The better you know about your car, the more $ you can save. Also, if you do not have owner's guide, I strongly suggest that you get one and follow scheduled maintenance. Very often, car troubles are due to either normal wear or ignorant/abusive drivers neglecting scheduled maintenance (the rest is poor design/manufacturing). You can find one at a reasonable price at on-line book store.

Again, check the electrical connectors.

JPN

Old 01-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t7760-ho...ode-reader.htm

Try that and post results here. Get us the Volvo diagnostic codes.

Regards

Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for your help guys, I replaced the MAP sensor and it's now back to normal cost me about 125 bucks.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
JPN

Glad the engine is back in normal condition.

If you follow scheduled maintenance and do proper servicing at times, Volvos are noted for over 200,000/300,000 miles of service life. Make sure to keep an eye on engine oil, transmission fluid and engine coolant, keeping these 3 simple items in good condition & proper levels play a huge role in keeping your Volvo running well for a long time.

Best wishes,

JPN

Old 02-28-2007, 01:47 AM

Jpn, it was good for few weeks after replacing MAP sensor, right now back to the same problem. I noticed that everytime I clean and move the connection (cable) attached to the MAP sensor it goes back to normal, it can be bad connection, is there any chemical ar jell I can use for it to have better connection? Thanks
[align=left] [/align]

Old 02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure the connectors on the tires aren't open to much.
There is a dielectric grease you can get that should help.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:02 AM
JPN

In addition to Tech's advice...

For electrical connectors, I usually spray a bit of WD-40 and blow out with a can of air duster (compressed air). Then, connect/disconnect a few times to get the crap off the male & female tangs inside the connector. The key is to make sure that you blow out theWD-40 or electrical connector cleaner good, because you don't want a short-circuit inside the connector.

Also, if either of the connector seems to be worn-out, you may want to make them tighter by bending tangs slightly, etc...

Will wait for your update.

JPN

Old 03-01-2007, 12:45 AM

Thanks for the advice guys I'll try it tomorrow and let you all know the result.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM

I took it to someone that fixes imported cars and pull the code 'coz engine light was showing again, he was telling me that it is "mass air flow" problem. I told him that I just replaced the map sensor few weeks ago, he said it can be the connection or computer problem and the only one that can fix it is the dealership. I have then check the transmission fluid, it was too low, I don't know if there is connection between the air flow problem and having low transmission fluid. Anyway, I clean the connections like what you guys suggested ...right now it's running good, not sure until when.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM

Tech, I sent you picture on your aol email address not sure if that email address is still working anyway I removed my cars intake hose (hose connected from MAP sensor to engine) and found out that there is a hole on it do you think it can be the problem having my cars RPM to goes up and down? I tried to attach the picture but it's not taking it, too large....I'll try if I can send it to your aol address. Thanks.

Maroon96
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes it could very well be the problem.
I got the e-mail and replyed.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Thanks, I recieved your reply. I went to autozone to check and see if they have this item. I was told that, I can only get it from the dealership. I'll try to order it tomorrow. Once again thank you, I'll let you know the result.

Maroon96
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-01-2007, 11:15 PM
JPN

Hi Maron,

Some transmission related problems can trigger CEL.

Also, is the hole something you can fix by patching (duct tape, etc...)?.

JPN

Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 AM

Tech & JPN, I covered it with duct tape, drove around the block without any problem then while on the driveway I change gear from drive to neutral, reverse then neutral, drive... no problem, when I change it to park the RPM started moving up and down again. [:@]

Maroon96
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: engine light