Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Failed Smog So. Calif

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Smog So. Calif

Need Help...
I just failed smog on my 95 850 wagon great car, I did not pass Nox at low speed, Prior to the test I removed and cleaned my egr. when the guy told me I failed he gave me a couple of tips to check the operation of my egr, since I have determine the my vacuum controller is not allowing vacuum to the egr. can someone tell me how I can check the operation of this device? and also how it should work?

many thanks to all who support us weekend warriors..

Jesse

Old 11-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A vacuum/pressure hand pump can tell you if the valve is working. Whether is seats or not is another Q. You'll need to take it off.

A trick I learned last year with passing smog. If your car is failing due to emissions run your tank down to about 2 gallons then go to Home Depot and buy a gallong of Denatured Alcohol and pore it in your tank. Got get your smog test...pass, run it close to empty then fill your tank up full. Sounds odd but I ran across this because I was not passing smog on my Chevy. It was my last straw. I did it and passed, the emissions were so clean it made me laugh when I saw the numbers. I am in California too.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jesaire
Need Help...
I just failed smog on my 95 850 wagon great car, I did not pass Nox at low speed, Prior to the test I removed and cleaned my egr. when the guy told me I failed he gave me a couple of tips to check the operation of my egr, since I have determine the my vacuum controller is not allowing vacuum to the egr. can someone tell me how I can check the operation of this device? and also how it should work?

many thanks to all who support us weekend warriors..

Jesse
Make sure your valve opens with a vacuum pump, and that opening it with the car idling makes it stall. If it doesn't stall, change the non- opening valve or clean the EGR port in the intake manifold. Then, make sure the vacuum lines are in place. To test the vacuum control solenoid, disconnect it and apply power directly to it. with the engine running at idle, does this kill the engine by making the EGR open? no? you need a new solenoid. Yes? get a wiring diagram and check the wiring between the solenoid and ECM. Fix the open or short. Good luck!