Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

First post and first Volvo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
First, take your significant other out for a date night. Once you've put a smile on her face use what's left to do a basic tune up on your vehicle. First things first

Do you have any history on maintenance on it? It's an interference engine which means that if the timing belt breaks the pistons slap the hell out of the valves and can do so to the point of turning the head into garbage. Timing belt and timing belt components are the number one thing to be concerned with. No history, do it right away for insurance against losing the motor.

Do you have any problems, concerns or leaks presently with it? Handles ok ?? Idles ok ?? Accelerates ?? Notice any smoke out of the oil dipstick tube with the stick pulled out at idle ??

Haha thank Kiss.. considering this car is mainly for my fiance to drive to work everyday (since her commute is 2 miles while mine is 25..) me fixing it up will put a smile on her face.

Car handles great, feels solid. Even stomped on it while turning and chirped the front tires and the car did not get out of line at all. There wasnt any smoke whatsoever anywhere. Only thing I could tell is I may have to replace one of the turbo hoses(minor start of a crack) and get the fuel seal looked at.

Like I said when I filled it to the brim a little burped out from under the car.. other then that the engine is strong with this one

Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Hi and welcome to the site.

That is my favorite color, gold, pearl white, yellow, red, I would own any of them all day long. But there is something about that gold.

As most have said, the Timing Belt and PCV are the top two things to deal with. You may have seen the NEW 850 OWNER thread. Read that and you'll be way ahead of the game. Doing a little of the work will make you an owner not just the driver (as one woman put it). Focus on getting the mechanics straight before the looks. Nothing like having a nice new set of wheels sitting on the side of the road because of a blown heater hose.

Have fun!!!
Oh yeah cosmetics are last on the list cause the car has great lines and looks already..

And I dont know what it is about that color either. When I saw the picture on CL I hated the color.. when I saw it for the first time it wasnt as bad, but still didnt like it. Now after a day I kinda like it haha. It would looks great with the tint done, the rubber/plastic pieces refinished and polished, and some nice black wheels

Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xszydx
I would, but I'm pretty sure a stage 0 is gonna cost me way more than $500 haha
Even if it does you should start by replacing the critical items such as the timing belt (and water pump). That is just piece of mind. Next would be the vacuum lines, especially since your a turbo. Then plugs and wires, cap and rotor. I think you should be able to get that done under $500

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by boxpin
Even if it does you should start by replacing the critical items such as the timing belt (and water pump). That is just piece of mind. Next would be the vacuum lines, especially since your a turbo. Then plugs and wires, cap and rotor. I think you should be able to get that done under $500

Boom. Thanks. My only concern is going to be the cost of the timing belt to be done by a Volvo guy.. I only have Saturdays and Sundays off..

Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 AM

And here are some quick pics I snapped of the engine bay and interior before I left for work on this rainy day in Phoenix..

Attached Thumbnails First post and first Volvo.-img_20120817_060144.jpg   First post and first Volvo.-img_20120817_060101.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only cars I have seen with dual power seats are 'R' models. Almost all Volvos are well equipped. I have only seen two that did not have power windows. Basically if you have wood trim your not a base model.

Take that money and do a Stage 0
my friend has a 1996 turbo like his but in white and both front seats are powered.l have an R and both are powered too.l didnt ask if his car came installed with both seats powered.will ask him.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Boom. Thanks. My only concern is going to be the cost of the timing belt to be done by a Volvo guy.. I only have Saturdays and Sundays off..
'

where are you located?if you are up here in new york l will replace your belt for you free of charge.just get the part. l hope you are not located down south too?LOL. it seems l am the only person from this forum located up state.everybody down south

Old 08-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
'

where are you located?if you are up here in new york l will replace your belt for you free of charge.just get the part. l hope you are not located down south too?LOL. it seems l am the only person from this forum located up state.everybody down south
No where near NY haha. I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.. :/

Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

l see you are located in arizona.l have a friend who is from arizona. he is on this forum too. l can hook you up with him if you are willing to do the timing belt yourself.he can guide you through it and you are very close to him he can help you in person.smart dudes from this site.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM

No where near NY haha. I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.. :/
ouch lol too bad you are also down there.lol

Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 AM

And here are some quick pics I snapped of the engine bay and interior before I left for work on this rainy day in Phoenix..
black interior. sweeet

Old 08-17-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by slimflex2
l see you are located in arizona.l have a friend who is from arizona. he is on this forum too. l can hook you up with him if you are willing to do the timing belt yourself.he can guide you through it and you are very close to him he can help you in person.smart dudes from this site.
Hey help is always appreciated haha

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I changed my water pump yesterday....about 40 minutes(that includes the timing belt). You should do this yourself.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 AM

Hey help is always appreciated haha
sure l will tell him you want to meet him.haha. l am pretty sure you will be able to do this yourself and save you money.are you handy?if you are then you should be good. l was just like you till l got on this site.now l am able to do my timing belt and crack into my engine and replace lifters and pcv. l am looking forward to one day change my head gasket if it happens that l have to replace it. but l know for sure l wouldnt have to replace it.lol. timing belt change at dealers cost alot of money.my dealer wanted $500 just to replace it,$600 to replace pcv. save yourself some money brother.hahah

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

everybody on this site is giving you encouragement to work on it yourself because they want to save some money.hahaha. you might want to give it a shot. my first shot was removing the turbo intake hose.am like wooooow l can do this myself.hahaha. from that point l have worked on my car with my own tools.it is fun too because you get to crack your brains.haha

Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM

I changed my water pump yesterday....about 40 minutes(that includes the timing belt). You should do this yourself.
I just have never done such a thing. Oh well first time for everything. I can do all minor work, but have never done anything huge

Old 08-17-2012, 11:23 AM

I will look at the service history when I get home. I cant remember the last time the timing belt was done..

But where do you recommend I get the parts?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xsz: the post where i gave you links is where most people here get parts. Fcp always has great prices...

Old 08-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ibified
Xsz: the post where i gave you links is where most people here get parts. Fcp always has great prices...
Sorry I got lazy and didnt go back two pages to see the link. They seem really good on their prices.

Maybe I will get off my @ss and do my own work..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I use to do all my stuff at home. Recently I moved into an apartment and now do all my work there. I was a little afraid at first. Then I seen some guy on the side of the office building with his rear end and tranny on the ground. I was like WHATTTT!!! It's on now. I did a head on our S70 last month. Some don't want you changing your battery, others don't care.

Quick Reply: First post and first Volvo.