Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

To fix or sell? 850 T5R

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry10
I can't have yellow in NY. People will wave me down to death.... LOL

Tboy: any reason why you can't put bikes on a roof rack?
Henry- I could put a roof rack on, but it would ruin the cars aesthetics
If it were a beater or some other type of car maybe, but not this one. Just a personal preference. I had a rack in my wife's former Honda Ridgeline, but now she has an Accord. (I miss the truck).

Matt- pm sent

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tboysen
Honda Ridgeline...(I miss the truck)
A friend of mine has one of those and they are nice, although true truck-people still consider them cars...

If you can't work yourself on an older Volvo, at least you could buy the parts and have a shop install them for you.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:04 AM

A friend of mine has one of those and they are nice, although true truck-people still consider them cars...

If you can't work yourself on an older Volvo, at least you could buy the parts and have a shop install them for you.

I loved that truck, yes those that do not have one or fly the big three flags think that, but once you drive/utilize it, it becomes a truck, but rides as smooth as a car...

I did that with a few of the parts and the shop was accommodating, but it still stings more than doing it yourself..

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Most of the shops I go to really resent you bringing them parts. They like to use parts "they know will work" and they want to make a little mark up on them. I told one shop to go ahead and charge me his parts mark up and he could not wrap his head around that. Stubborn old coot. Then when I picked up the car he still claimed that the parts did not fit and installed his anyway (installed a couple of mine and a few of his). The big thing about the parts is that local shops usually charge you between what we can get them for and what the stealer charges for them. So we may pay $100, the stealer may charge $185, the mechanic usually charges $140. Frustrating!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Administrator

I know this seems like a strange offer but I am willing to deliver the car to anyone that gets it. I would like to make a few bucks for my time and pay other travel expenses but it may work. Just pm me.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Most of the shops I go to really resent you bringing them parts. They like to use parts "they know will work" and they want to make a little mark up on them. I told one shop to go ahead and charge me his parts mark up and he could not wrap his head around that. Stubborn old coot. Then when I picked up the car he still claimed that the parts did not fit and installed his anyway (installed a couple of mine and a few of his). The big thing about the parts is that local shops usually charge you between what we can get them for and what the stealer charges for them. So we may pay $100, the stealer may charge $185, the mechanic usually charges $140. Frustrating!
In the suburbs of NY, garages do not work with you much. In NYC however, there are plenty of small shops that not only will take your parts, but are perfectly fine for you to be there in the bay with them while mechanics are doing the work. Long ago, I stopped using shops that do not allow me to supervise the work in the bay. That's when I smelled BS oil, when I had given them my own synthetic to change it to.

Additionally, prices in many NYC garages are a lot cheaper than suburbs. For example I use 2 shops for alignment: one charges me $ 120 per axle (Forest Hills, Queens), the other charges $ 40 (Bruckner shops in the Bronx). Same equipment. I am perfectly happy giving the Bronx mechanics some lunch money as a tip. They go way beyond their duty for you.

Glass replacement is another example: if you are willing to go to Huntspoint (Bronx) or Corona (Queens, right outside Mets Stadium) you can get a window glass for $ 50 installed (used of course), sometimes even less.

I don't know how the market is in Nashville, but there might be shops that work with you...

Old 03-04-2011, 01:23 PM

I don't know how the market is in Nashville, but there might be shops that work with you...
To date I have used two different shops with two completely different philosophies. One was supposed to be a little more expensive but had better customer service specializing in Saab and Volvo. The other was a bare bones/gritty shop, little talk, but serviced all exotics. In the end they were about the same in price and both had good customer service and both were willing to use parts that I supplied. There is a third shop that comes highly recommended and is said to be cheaper, but I have yet to use them. They just refurbished a T5R wagon of a parent at the school where I teach, and from the looks anyway, they did a perfect job. Customer is happy too.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Administrator

What color is the T-5R wagon?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 AM

What color is the T-5R wagon?

Yellow,, Is there any other color

Raining here today. It is supposed to be sunny tomorrow and I hope to get pics of my car up on an add...

Old 03-05-2011, 07:45 AM

I know this seems like a strange offer but I am willing to deliver the car to anyone that gets it. I would like to make a few bucks for my time and pay other travel expenses but it may work. Just pm me.

Excellent offer...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Administrator

I did not know that there were any yellow wagons off of the coast. I was expecting all of them to be on the east or west coast. I guess they could have been moved all around now. It's been 15 years.

They also come in black and hunter green. There are a few other colors in other countries but I doubt many were delivered or tranported here. I know of a yellow wagon that was transported here from Germany. I guess there could be more.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM

I thought the car discussed in this thread was a sedan. I don't think I have ever seen a yellow wagon.

Just for my curiosity -- how come I never see purple wagons like mine? Did people hate this color so much that no one bought them (except me of course)?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Some colors were limited. Same for the V70 R's. Maybe 1000 to 1500 nation wide. Hard to see those around, especially if you're not looking for them. Also, the percentage of the cars still being on the road is dropping faster than the snow in upper NY. Probably dropping 20% per year once they are 13+ years old. Not because they should be, just because people are not willing to put more into a car at that age. Why put $2,500 into a car that only cost $2,500??? Doesn't make sence to them.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM

When I looked for the bumper cover (purple) in car-part.com the closest one I found was at the corner where PA meets OH and NY (Erie, PA).

Ironically, I have a V70 (base) purple wagon next door, but 850s I have never seen them, and I try to look. Once I saw a purple 850 sedan and that's it.

I see a few Rs around here though, but mostly newer Volvos.

Yellow wagons would be rarer I guess.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Yes Henry, my car is a yellow T5R (sedan). There is a parent where I teach that has a yellow T5R wagon (minus the original wheels). It is a great sight when we are both in the parking lot!

I have decided to see what it would take to get my car fixed. I don't think it will be much, and it will be much less than buying another car. After looking at all the used car options in my budget range I was floored by a sense of selling remorse. Talked with the mechanic that did the "overhaul" on the T5R wagon and he is willing to work with me on immediate fixes and those that can be done on a different date. I feel better about this decision and may even put a rack on the top for my bikes. Taking it in on Thursday.
Looking for used tires today.... Thank you all for your insight and ideas on how to make this work for me. Will keep you posted on the details....

Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Yes Henry, my car is a yellow T5R (sedan). There is a parent where I teach that has a yellow T5R wagon (minus the original wheels). It is a great sight when we are both in the parking lot!

I have decided to see what it would take to get my car fixed. I don't think it will be much, and it will be much less than buying another car. After looking at all the used car options in my budget range I was floored by a sense of selling remorse. Talked with the mechanic that did the "overhaul" on the T5R wagon and he is willing to work with me on immediate fixes and those that can be done on a different date. I feel better about this decision and may even put a rack on the top for my bikes. Taking it in on Thursday.
Looking for used tires today.... Thank you all for your insight and ideas on how to make this work for me. Will keep you posted on the details....
Good move!!!

Definitely can fix it for much less than it would take to get a car that was as reliable as this one should be.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:00 PM

14-15 year old cars, daily drivers, which you can not work on by yourself, make no financial sense, unless you just like the car regardless of $. I don't even think it can be a "daily driver". Occasional, back-up yes.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks,,

Not a huge weight off my shoulders, but a better decision none the less. Now I can stop just reading this forum and contribute more down the road....

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM

14-15 year old cars, daily drivers, which you can not work on by yourself, make no financial sense, unless you just like the car regardless of $. I don't even think it can be a "daily driver". Occasional, back-up yes.
Thanks for yet again putting doubts in my head

I have not shied away from driving this vehicle. It has made long trips to make photographs and my daily driver since I have owned it. My budget to buy is 7K including tax/title/lic. and that is if I get exactly 4K for my car.

Looking around the internet it seems that the other car may indeed be a Honda or Toyota, but their mileages average in the 115-125K for the price that I need to be in at. Not bad, same as my car, but they also have their faults. I see no problems with continuing to drive mine daily, well, I really have no other option. You are probably right and I need to find a different car. I will test both options out mechanic/selling... I will get pics and an add up when the clouds clear. I guess that I will see how this unfolds in the next week or so...

Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM

If you got 3k to spend on it, for the next 24 months (until you get your own garage/shop), you can manage it, but again, it may not be there everyday for you.

Another option (which would probably be the best) -- offer people on this forum compensation for their time and tools, and see if they can help you out with some of the repairs (such as timing belt, shocks, struts, tune-up, etc) at their place. You can buy the parts and install them together. A lot of this stuff is pretty easy, but time-consuming and mechanic's time would kill your budget.

I remember when it used to suck for me when I could not even change my own oil at one point (living only in an apartment building).

Quick Reply: To fix or sell? 850 T5R