Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

FIXED: 850 Turbo won't start - Listen to it try...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FIXED: 850 Turbo won't start - Listen to it try...

Hey guys, been a while. I have a 94 850 Turbo wagon, and my wife has been driving it mostly for the last few months. There were a few weeks where she didn't drive or start the engine at all. From what I hear, 850s don't like to sit for very long at all without being driven.

Anyhow, now it won't start. I've got a .wav audio file here of an attempt. Does this every time. If anybody needs it in another format, I'm glad to provide it (especially Tech)

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

850 Won't Start

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Default RE: 850 Turbo won't start - Listen to it try...

The first thing I'd check is to make sure it's getting fuel and spark. Sounds to me like a clogged filter, or dead fuel pump.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 PM

Check for fuel pressure.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Verum

Hey guys, been a while. I have a 94 850 Turbo wagon, and my wife has been driving it mostly for the last few months. There were a few weeks where she didn't drive or start the engine at all. From what I hear, 850s don't like to sit for very long at all without being driven.

Anyhow, now it won't start. I've got a .wav audio file here of an attempt. Does this every time. If anybody needs it in another format, I'm glad to provide it (especially Tech)

850 Won't Start
Mine did exactly the same thing andsounds exactly the same too.

I'm fairly sure thefuel is O.K (can hear the pump and smell petrol if it is cranked over for too long).

I suspect the camshaft position sensor (CPS) is the real problemand this could soon be proved by substituting the existing one with a known good one however,another problem I have is I'm reluctantto fork out around $150 if it turns out the CPSisn't the problem.

So, I'm caught on the horns of a dilemna.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Wouldn't that throw an engine code if that part was bad?

Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 AM

Is your brake fluid low?
Mine sensed that I dind't have my foot on the pedal but even though i did because of the low brake fluid,

CHeck if you are getting spark...it's easy...take a sparkplug out and try to crank it...

Old 02-09-2008, 09:55 AM

Am I missing something? How can brake fluid affect how a car starts??

Old 02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Here is a crazy idea. I would disconnect the battery, then pull out the ECU module and reseat it. Hook up the battery and give it a try. I had a car awhile back that did something similar, and I had to reseat the ECU to get it to start. This most likely won't solve the issue, but it only takes about 2 minutes and is worth a try.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Before turning the key on hold the gas pedal to the floor.
Turn the key to start and still hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it starts. It might take a minute or 2 of cranking.
Im thinking the lifters bled down and need to be pumped back up.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: jmana

Volvo has to be in either N or P to start... I believe and you must have the brake pedal depressed...I spent 3 weeks trying to figure out why my 1994 850 wouldn't start from cranshaft sensor to camshaft sensor to ignition coil to ignition module...
The entire time I was low on brake fluid so when I put my foot on the brake to start it, the car didn't think I had my foot on the brake pedal and it wouldn't start...

It's a simple thing that I overlooked....
Hope this helps...

Old 02-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Jomo1994z71

Volvo has to be in either N or P to start... I believe and you must have the brake pedal depressed...I spent 3 weeks trying to figure out why my 1994 850 wouldn't start from cranshaft sensor to camshaft sensor to ignition coil to ignition module...
The entire time I was low on brake fluid so when I put my foot on the brake to start it, the car didn't think I had my foot on the brake pedal and it wouldn't start...

Hope this helps...
I think you got lucky somehow. There is no sensor that tells the car to not start if it is low on fluid or if your foot is on the brake.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Wouldn't that throw an engine code if that part was bad?
Mine isn't throwing any codes.

The DTC readouts are all1-1-1 (i.e. no faults)

Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 PM

850 Won't Start
Verum,
You've gone silent. Have you found out what the problem is yet?

Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 AM

Hey guys, sorry for going absent, my weekend went a little hectic and I'm just getting back to things now. It's 3:45 in the morning, so I'll give this a shot after some sleep. I will be sure to report back with my findings... thanks for all the help guys!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

ORIGINAL: Jomo1994z71

Hope this helps...
I think you got lucky somehow. There is no sensor that tells the car to not start if it is low on fluid or if your foot is on the brake.

I know there is not a sensor, however...Doesn't your foot have to be on the brake to start your car in either neutral or park?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

No it doesn't

Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Tech, you're the man. I did exactly as you suggested, and after a long minute, it started to... start. I guess I came off the gas too quickly, and it died again. But a few more tries and it was back up and running!

Many thanks to you Tech and everyone else for your input.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Glad it is running now.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Tech, you're the man. I did exactly as you suggested, and after a long minute, it started to... start. I guess I came off the gas too quickly, and it died again. But a few more tries and it was back up and running!

Many thanks to you Tech and everyone else for your input.
Thanks for reporting back Verum. I'm pleased you have got her up and running again.

Thesound clip you provided sounds exactly like mine does (it's a pity more people don't think to include sound clips) - but I haven't been able to get my T5up and runningyet.

Verum, you mention a 'long' minute. When I crankmine over,all I seem to get is an overpowering smell of petrol before I give upafter about 25 seconds of solid cranking as I'mapprehensivethe starter motor will burn outor I mightdamagesomething else. Am I giving up too quickly?

Even thoughthe old battery was in good knick I've purchaseda brand new one, so I'll make sure it's fully chargedand go and have another go.I'll actually force myself to crank the car for a solidminute (via sweep hand ofwatch) asa minute seems a hell of a long timewhenyou're trying to guess it withthe vehicle grindingover .

Any other comments Tech?

Old 02-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Make sure you press the gas pedal to the floor before turning the car on and cranking. That should cut the fuel off. Also make sure you hold the gas pedal to the floor the entire time cranking.

Quick Reply: FIXED: 850 Turbo won't start - Listen to it try...