Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Fluid leaking from steering rack boot

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leaking from steering rack boot

I noticed that I’m getting some fluid dripping out of the boots that attach to the inner tie rods. This only happens when the front end of the car is jacked up (at least that’s the only time I’ve noticed it). It looked to me like it was oil at first, but I didn’t check it out too much at the time since I was focused on another project. There isn’t a way for engine oil to make it to the steering system is there? When I last changed my oil the power steering fluid looked to be pretty dirty so this may have been what I was seeing.

It looks like the boots are torn at the very end where the metal clip attaches to, and this is where the fluid is coming from. Is this a big problem, or something just as simple as replacing the boots?

Thanks

Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Fluid leaking from steering rack boot

Steering rack is leaking. Needs to be replaced.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM

ohhh, the joys of an 11 yr old car Is this something that's super urgernt to fix or can i just keep an eye on the power steering fluid level?

How tough of a job is this? Looks like that whole area is right above the subframe.

Should i also replace the inner or outer tie rods? Did the outers about 9 months ago, but never touched the inners. Not really sure what they even look like under the boot...guess i'll find out soon enough!

Old 06-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

You have to support the engine and drop the subframe down some to get the rack out.

The rack should come with new inners on it already.

You can watch and top it off for now.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:47 PM

I've finally gotten around to replacing the steering rack today...well i'm partially done with it anyway. Running into some problems getting old rack.

i've already dropped the rear part of the subframe and detached the rack from it and the engine mount. I can't for the life of me seem to get the upper power steering fluid line off (where it connects to the rack housing). The lower line was a pain, but i finally got it out. I can't seem to get any wrenches in there for the upper line...i can sometimes get a wrench over it, but can't turn it at all b/c the wrench hits the other line or somthing else.

The second problem, is i'm not able to separate the rack from the U joint clamp that it attaches to. I got the bolt and nut out of the clamp, but theres a pretty good amount of rust that seem to be holding it in place.

Anyone have any tips how to better attack these 2 problems?

Thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Administrator

1. Loosen the front screws for the Subframe and remove the screws for the front engine mount(Left side of car) drop the subframe more. That will gove you more room to loosen the line.

2. Once you have some pressure downwards from the rack hanging take a big screw driver and Carefully tap the Clamp up to get it to slide off the rack. Make sure you soak the clamp good with rust penetrant.

Then it should slide apart.

You will need to turn the rack towards the back of the car and slide it out the side to remove it.

FYI: I just did 2 this week.

EDIT: do you have the engine supported from the top?

Old 10-08-2006, 03:05 AM

i'm supporting the engine from under the transmission case w/ a 2x4 and my jack. I undid the front 2 subframe bolts about 3/4" to give it more room in the back, but i think that's about all the space i'm gonna have to work with it (it's dropped 3-4" in the rear). I think i'm gonna so shopping for some shorter wrenches tomorrow and try again.

I was also wondering about the subframe bushings. Mine don't seem to be in bad shape, but if i was to change them how do you go about getting them out? Is this something you need a press for or can it be 'persueded' by other means?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about the subframe bushings. But if you do you would need to press them out from the top of the subframe. Then press them back in.

Did you loosen the lower mount on the right side of the engine? (Sorry in other post was a typo I said left and meant right) You will need about 6 to 8 inches to get the rack out.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:44 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: tech

Did you loosen the lower mount on the right side of the engine? (Sorry in other post was a typo I said left and meant right) You will need about 6 to 8 inches to get the rack out.
[/quote

nope...didn't loosen or remove any of the engine to subframe mounts. Maybe i'll give this a shot today. Should i completely remove them or just loosen the bolts?

Is securing the engine under the trans case OK even if i undo the RH mount?

When undoing the fluid lines on the rack case, do you do that before separating the U joint or do you do the U joint first?

Well, off to buy some more penetrating oil and a new wrench....
Thanks again!]

Old 10-08-2006, 07:06 PM

well, i finally got the old one out...ended up getting a stubby 16mm wrench to get to the last fluid line and used a pry bar as a punch to get the ujoint out.... Now time to put this all back together....after taking a break and having a beer of course.

For the 5 bolts that hold the rack to the subframe, i was planning on re-using the old ones, but the haynes manual says to use all new hardware on the new rack...is this necessary? The bolts look to have a small sholder on them near the head, and there's not really anything to grab onto to prevent it from spinning when i put the nut back on (at least i'm thinking this might happen). How do you usually do this?

Old 10-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I always reuse the old ones.
When you need to tighten them stick a prybar between the rack and the top of the screw and push it down while you tighten it.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:49 PM

i guess i was wrong...it's the subframe bolts (the long ones) that it says to replace each time they're removed? Do you re-use the old ones of those too?

Old 10-08-2006, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Yes I always reuse them as well.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:21 PM

well, I farked up one of the O ring seals on the power steering fluid lines going into the rack. Guess it got sliced when i took the old rack off.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a new O ring? I have a bad feeling that the dealership is gonna tell me that the o ring only comes w/ the entire line assembly (similar to what they said about the Injector o ring).

Old 10-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Take it to the Auto Parts store and compare and match for a new one.
An A/C o-ring might work as well.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:19 PM

i got the replacement o rings so that's all squared away...

I'm now in the process of trying to connect the rack to the steering U joint. I can't seem to get them to slide together very well...only about halfway. I've tried putting the keys in the car so the steering isn't locked and the ujoint spins easily. I'm pretty sure it's lined up with the flat spot for the clamp bolt.

I don't have the rack tightened all the way to the subframe, but the bolts are through and it's lined up. I don't currently have the bolt into the rack to engine mount in, but i tried it w/ that in also and still didn't have any luck.

I've got the front of the subframe dropped about 1/2" in the front, and prolly about 2-3" in the rear w/ a jack supporting under the tranny case. I've been trying to raise up the rear part of the subframe w/ another jack to try to push the spines into place, but it seems to just push the entire u joint up towards the steering wheel.

Any ideas how i can get this sucker back together? Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, but is it better to tighten everything first then attach the u joint or tighten the stuff after getting that connection made?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2006, 08:17 PM

i also tried spreading the clamp a bit with a screwdriver...got it to go on most of the way, but I've got about 5mm more to go before the bolt can be put through the clamp...

Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM

Finally got it! i ended up raising up the subframe and hitting the rod from the inside of the car w/ a piece of wood to push the clamp over the rack. Not sure if that was the best way to do it, but it's on at least... I'm still curious to know how others go about re-attaching this.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you got it. I was just going to offer you my steering/front end manual, but looks like you've got it now.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Yes it is a pain you have to reach up and grab the steering knuckle and pull down and wiggle it and get it to slide on.

I just did 2 of them a week and a Half ago.

Quick Reply: Fluid leaking from steering rack boot