Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

front brake issue, bad vibrations at *slow* stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white83glt
also, since im under the hood today, where is the bloody security system relay located? i have pictures of it but its not in the fuse box under the hood. those are the light relay, fuel pump relay and cruise control relay. nowhere under there is there a red relay that has 'security system relay' on it like the images i saw on google images.
Anti-theft Relay is # 14 in the relay box in engine compartment. That relay box has 2 parts (upper and lower/behind). # 14 relay is in the lower section.

Last edited by Henry10; 03-12-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Sorry, corrected now.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM

ABS should be de-activated by removing the ABS Combination Relay, which is not in the Relay box. It is above the ABS Control Module (near Master Cylinder).

Last edited by Henry10; 03-12-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 AM

rear rotors have less than 5k miles on them. font rotors were just turned today. mechanic said he barely had to shave any off.

pulled ABS fuses, issue still persists. spoke with FCP (since ill likely order parts from them) and they said it could either be the control arms or hub assembly/bearings.

how hard would either of those be? im still learning the suspension of this car, but am willing to tackle it if its fairly straight foreward.
I believe it was Rspi who advised you to check suspension before starting to throw parts around.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry10
I believe it was Rspi who advised you to check suspension before starting to throw parts around.
he also said that i would feel vibrations at high speeds, which i did, which is why i started with the rotors/pads... seeing as how id have to check them on the way to checking the few suspension components i hadnt already replaced.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

This is crazy. A shop that does alignments should be able to tell you EXACTLY what is wrong with the suspension.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal? ABS would be a brake pedal thumping.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
This is crazy. A shop that does alignments should be able to tell you EXACTLY what is wrong with the suspension.

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal? ABS would be a brake pedal thumping.
not anymore. the only time i feel anything now is when im stopping really slow, like from 5mph > 0mph. since the front rotors were turned, i feel no pulsating when braking, no turning when braking (never did though...).. the only thing thats still persisting is this bloody vibration at extremely slow speeds.

granted, the shop i went too is owned by a good friend, but all i had him do was turn the rotors, nothing else, as i was pretty sure that this is what was causing my issue.

lesson learned and 30$ later, im not too concerned about it since the pulsating that was happening has stopped. braking is super smooth up until the vibration starts around 3mph

Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM

the only thing thats still persisting is this bloody vibration at extremely slow speeds.... Braking is super smooth up until the vibration starts around 3mph
"Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal?"-- Rspi's question remains unanswered....

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM

"Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal?"-- Rspi's question remains unanswered....
i answered it one post up from yours, but ill reiterate:

i feel nothing anymore. no pulsating in the steering wheel, none on the brake. nada. zip. zero. zilch. braking is extremely smooth now, up until around 3 mph when the vibrations kick in.

the vibrations *feel* like theyre coming from the front end somewhere, but i cannot feel it in the brake pedal or steering wheel anymore.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:40 PM

i answered it one post up from yours, but ill reiterate:

i feel nothing anymore. no pulsating in the steering wheel, none on the brake. nada. zip. zero. zilch. braking is extremely smooth now, up until around 3 mph when the vibrations kick in.
Let me paraphrase the question: when you get vibrations at around 3 mph, do those vibrations come from A- steering wheel or B- brake pedal?

Old 03-12-2011, 01:42 PM

Let me paraphrase the question: when you get vibrations at around 3 mph, do those vibrations come from A- steering wheel or B- brake pedal?
just answered :P

neither. it *feels* like its coming from the front end somewhere, but definitely not the steering wheel or brake pedal

Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Ok. Yes, I do see that you added that.

Did anyone check the tie rod ends? You should check for ripped rubber bushings, plus use a pry bar to lift the control arms and see for play.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Ok. Yes, I do see that you added that.

Did anyone check the tie rod ends? You should check for ripped rubber bushings, plus use a pry bar to lift the control arms and see for play.
nope. i scheduled an appointment with my usual guy for this tuesday. ive found that i can avoid most of the vibrations if i kick it into neutral around 5mph and coast most of the way to a stop.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:53 PM

Those are also symptoms of motor mounts or (gasp!!) transmission, although it's kinda hard for me to make an educated guess without experiencing it myself. Hopefully Tues your buddy-mechanic can fix it...

Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 PM

motor mounts i can understand, but the tranny? hopefully that isnt it, seeing as it seems to happen when braking, in neutral or in drive (its harder to get it to do it in neutral when the tranny isnt engaged, but possible none the less with me feathering the brakes)

Old 03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Do you have any vibrations when stopped, idling, and gear shift in D (i.e. foot on the brake)?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:05 PM

not really. when im in neutral its pretty smooth. when i engage it into R or D, it starts to vibrate a little more than when in neutral but nothing terribly bad.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:10 PM

not really. when im in neutral its pretty smooth. when i engage it into R or D, it starts to vibrate a little more than when in neutral but nothing terribly bad.
Moving or not moving?

Do you hear anything (windows rolled down and up)?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Moving or not moving?

Do you hear anything (windows rolled down and up)?
when im moving and not moving in neutral, its really smooth. once i put into R or D, it starts vibrating a little (tranny is engaging), but nothing that would cause a distraction or make you question if the vehicle is safe/operating normally.

windows up or down, its the same. smooth sailing in neutral, slight vibration in R or D.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you have a blown motor mount. It sounds like you are now describing a vibration that people get when they have poly mounts installed or have a blow mount. You can look at the post I put here and see if you can check it real quick. Easy to spot the one at the front of the motor, behind the right front tire.
http://atthetipwebs.com/technologyin...ount_right.htm

You really throw us off when you say you have a FRONT BRAKE ISSUE, when you actually have a low speed/idle vibration issue. When the front motor mount goes out (tears apart), the motor mount rest on the frame of the car causing the vibration that you feel at low speeds and at idle. The mount has an awesome design, the bottom of the mount has rubber on it so even though it's torn and resting on the frame, it still has rubber between it and is not unbarable. The motor actually only drops about 1/4 inch.

Last edited by rspi; 03-12-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: addition/typo
Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
Sounds like you have a blown motor mount. It sounds like you are now describing a vibration that people get when they have poly mounts installed or have a blow mount. You can look at the post I put here and see if you can check it real quick. Easy to spot the one at the front of the motor, behind the right front tire.
http://atthetipwebs.com/technologyin...ount_right.htm

You really throw us off when you say you have a FRONT BRAKE ISSUE, when you actually have a low speed/idle vibration issue. When the front motor mount goes out (tears apart), the motor mount rest on the frame of the car causing the vibration that you feel at low speeds and at idle. The mount has an awesome design, the bottom of the mount has rubber on it so even though it's torn and resting on the frame, it still has rubber between it and is not unbarable. The motor actually only drops about 1/4 inch.
i wasnt sure how to describe it, and by the way i felt the vibrations , i assumed it had something to do with the brakes , given that it happens while braking and i feel it up front.

tuesday will tell, my guy is expecting me and said we'll mess with it all day til we find the bad part.

Quick Reply: front brake issue, bad vibrations at *slow* stop