Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

fuel injection relay buzzing with key on

Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injection relay buzzing with key on

hello desperately need help i have my parent 2 volvo's 850 wagon and sedan 95 96 well anyways the sedan i resealed the motor and tranny put it all back together now car will not run relay above radiator and drivers side is clicking with key on its not the relay i switched it from other car still doing same thing can someone please help losing my head on this could it be grounds? only thing i did was take motor and tranny out mostly for reason to replace input shaft seal but i did it onthe ground back yard thing well willing to listen too all thanks john

Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: fuel injection relay buzzing with key on

John,

I will try to figure out what you are saying. Punctuation and capitalization goes a long way on message boards since the only way we have to communicate is with written words.

As I think I understand your post, youpulled themotor and transmission on one of the cars which I believe is a 1996 850 sedan and it now will not start. The master fuel injection relay clicks when the key is turned on. You tried to swap the master fuel injection relay from the other car and it does the same thing.

The title of your post is, "fuel injection relay buzzing with key on".

The master fuel injection relay should engage but not chatter when the key is on. Are you sure you are not hearing the idle air control valve rather than the master fuel injection relay? They are directly opposite from each other with the master fuel injection relay being on the fan shroud and the idle aircontrol valvebeing next to the throttle body. It is perfectly normal for the idle air control valve to have a buzzing sound when the key is on.

When you say that the car will not start do you mean that the starter is turning the motor over and it will not fire or are you saying that the starter will not engage and turn the motor over at all?

Is this car a turbo or a non turbo? The master fuel injection relay controls are different between the two.

...Lee

Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does it turn over?
Do you have fuel pressure?
Do you have spark?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello John4377 and Lee,

I, too, was having difficulty reading the post. And English is my first language even though Im from Montreal.

This sounds like this may beyour first swap and you may have forgotten to reconnect/attach something.

Are you sure everything is where it is supposed to be .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 08-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the basics. Fuel, air, spark, and proper timing. ANy one of those missing will cause a no-start situation.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Default Injector relay buzz no start

I am also having this same simptom after doing an engine swap on my moms 95 850 turbo the injector relay is buzzing (turning on and off rapidly) the only way i have found to make it stop and the car to run for ten seconds is to connect my obd2 scanner. If you have figured anything out please let me know. P.s. It ran great until a block from my parents house came to a stop engine stalled wouldn't restart. Cranked fine

Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Default Injector relay buzz no start

Ok so to stop the buzz I installed cam sensor out of the old engine starts and runs with no buzz. Unfortunatly runs horrible(2 rich I think) and needs generic scan tool plugged in.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM

So by chance my dad told me to spray starting fluid, I used brake clean, into the intake and see if it would fire up, well nothing changed so I let it sit for about an hour until my mechanic friend came with his fuel guage. He turned over the motor and it fired up and ran great. I think the cam sensor on new motor went out and had dirty mass airflow.