Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Good Day Everybody!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Day Everybody!

If it's not oubious enough, I'm new with terrible spelling abilities. First of All I'd like to introduce myself. I just got a Volvo 850 GLT 1996 as my first car and love it. (Because it's my first). They are very nice, safe, reliable cars. I got mine for with 135k. for 3500$ USD. Anywho I'm just stopping in to talk about my first weird thing that happened.

So, I'm at the gas station, and suddenly I can't get the outer gas flap thingy off! I'm pritty upset because I was planning on meeting somebody but I needed gas. I try with all my might not to break it off. I whip out the manual and start looking alas to no avail. Then suddenly I open my glove box (this car is new to me so the manual was on the passenger seat,) and walah! The gas cover opens! I'm not sure what happened. Maybe somebody could explain this!

Also. I just installed subs (my nehibors are unhappy). Yet everytime I turn off my car the antenne goes EHHHHHH UGGHGHHH. and it goes on for about thirty seconds then stops making noise. And it sounds terrible. It just started doing this recently but I tried taking out the fuse for it and it also is the same for the stock stereo (which sadly is wired to the subs!) . So what happens is i turn the car off and then the antenna get's stuck and makes loud noises. Maybe I should go to pick and pull and see if they've got an 850? Let me know what you think.

And. yeah let me wave and smile to all the 850 owners around! You have a reliable car! XD! I hope this will be a longlasting relationship in volvo forums.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Good Day Everybody!

Welcome.

If the antenna is making a grinding noise then most likely the cable that retracts and extends the mast is broken, especially if the antenna motor is working properly. You can pick up a replacement mast at Autozone, etc. for about $10 USD. If the motor is bad then you will need to replace the entire assembly, probably pick up one off ebay for anywhere between $20 - $40 USD, or at AZ for around $55 USD. As far as the gas cap cover on my sons 850, someone must have had a similar problem at one time because the tab that slips into the latch assembly has been bent over. No locking gas cap cover now but you can always get to the cap to fill er up.

Check out my sons car under the post recent 850 upgrades. Post some pics of your car if you can. Also, do you have any modifications planned?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Must be the time for bad antennas. That is the second one I have read about that went bad, and my son told me yesterday his is acting up....go figure. Anyhow, if you want, just leave it in the up position and pull the connector to the antenna motor or the fuse until you get a chance to fix it.

Glenn

Old 04-01-2008, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: jks2

Check out my sons car under the post recent 850 upgrades. Post some pics of your car if you can. Also, do you have any modifications planned?
I tried looking for the post via search, and I cannot find the post. Direct me or show me an easier way if possible (yeah...I'm new)
I'll post pics of my car as soon as I can.

I would love to do some modifications, anything that would make my "pickup" better. Otherwise I still surprise my friends with my 5 cylinder engine. Yeah guys i have 5 of them! That's what the sweeds do.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now, hey now,

Welcome to the forum . Don't worry about the spelling as long as you're fairly close, people will understand.

I agree that it could be the cable in the mast.The groaning sound you're hearing soundslike the motor is trying to retract the cable but it is either seized or broken. I had a similar problem with my '94 Acura Vigor GS and replaced the entire assembly for $60 CDN and about a haf hour of my time. It was sweet as I had an auto start and when I started the car it would rise a bit, drop a bit and then rise to full extension which was taller that the factory antenna.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1717298

I sold it a while back and kept my '94 850 Estate (sounds better than wagon) and put in a Pioneer head unit with an AUX. jack and now run a laptop for my Navigation, movies, videos and music. I had a Pioneer AVIC N1 with the back up camera and hands free controller, $2500 CDN after all was said and done, but this set up is so much better and with a much bigger screen.

Good luck with the repair and let us know how it goes.

Peace and [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Psaboic

Must be the time for bad antennas. That is the second one I have read about that went bad, and my son told me yesterday his is acting up....go figure. Anyhow, if you want, just leave it in the up position and pull the connector to the antenna motor or the fuse until you get a chance to fix it.

Glenn
No, it's a common problem for the antennas to go bad. I forget exactly what goes wrong (if I remember correctly, it's some plastic piece that breaks easily), but it is supposed to be an easy and relatively cheap fix.

It's just that I don't complain about it because the 6 disk changer takes care of that.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM

The six disk changer is awesome! That's why I kept my original deck!