Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Have Carfax, Need Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Carfax, Need Opinions!

Hello everybody, 1st post here. I hope (really hope) I'll be sticking around, as I'm test driving a '94 850 Wagon tomorrow afternoon. Let me first say that I have searched the forum first, and gained some good info. I just want to run my specifics by you guys.

This 850 has 127,000 miles on it. Cosmetically it's fine, but I haven't driven it yet. I've never owned a Volvo, and I'm nervous about it working out. I have generated a carfax report, and if you're so inclined to help, I'd be grateful if some of you guys could take a look and let me know if you think it's worth the $5000 he's asking, and if it's a smart buy.

And any other info (even if based on this report) that you guys might have on what to look for tomorrow would help a lot. Thanks in advance for any help, I would love it if this works out!

Here's a direct link to the .pdf file - The vehicle history starts on page 6.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Have Carfax, Need Opinions!

Let us know a little more info after you see the car.
In my opinion 5K is a little much for a 1994 with 127k on it.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:09 PM

I am a novice in the Volvo world, though not in the car buying world, its runs to triple hundreds, but anyway, bearing in mind that others here know far more than me, I would just observe that short of being 100% immaculate, $5,000 sounds on the steep side to me.

In this part of the country, and maybe it varies, I don't know, I see a lot of wagons at around that mileage for significantly less. My own 95 Turbo wagon, I bought for $3,000 and felt if time had been on my side, I would have ferreted out more value. So, it'll be interesting to see what you find when you see it.

Just my uninformed 2 cents.

Old 01-22-2006, 03:15 PM

Thats what I thought too. If entered into KBB and Edmunds as excellent/outstanding condition, it gets $5,000 and $3,700 respectively. From what I've seen, usually the right price is somewhere between these two sites ($4350). I'm going to let him know what I found on the value and see what he says.

Once I test drive it, I'll be back. Thanks guys.

Old 01-22-2006, 05:25 PM

I noticed the report had an inconsistent mileage warning. Here's a slick little way to get the mileage from the engine computer diagnostic system. The diagnostic plug is located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the car near the wiper fluid filler. It's a little black box-type thing. Remove the cover and use the little wire probe to get the mileage...

1. Switch ignition on.
2. Plug wire to module A, terminal 7.
3. Push button 5 times.
4. When LED comes on and before it goes out, enter code 1-1-1 as follows:
- press button once while LED is still on
- wait for LED to go out and come on again
- read off the response, which will be the last three digits of the odometer miles or km
5. Repeat steps 3 to 4 but enter code 1-1-2 (that is, press the button twice on the last step); read off the response, which will be the first three digits of the odometer miles or km. Numbers that are zeros will read as 10 blinks.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:43 PM

Back from the test drive...

The owner walked over to me and I let out a sigh of relief. The original owner. A pilot, in his 70s. He bought it new for his wife, said they had to pay extra to have it ordered from Sweden because the dealer didn't have it configured with the options they wanted. Everything he said matched up with the carfax history (I didn't tell him I pulled it up). New brakes, new springs, etc. Regular service.

I drove it, and while I didn't know what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by the turbo. Still can't believe that was a 12 year old wagon. Drove fine, engine looked and sounded great, consistent idle, turbo seemed consistent. The only thing not working was the front control for the rear windows (rear controls do work).

I also got him down to $4500. Considering the work he's done on it, I'm ok with that. But you guys tell me. Any tell-tale signs you can run by me? Ask away. As it stands, I gave him a deposit and I can pick it up tomorrow, and I feel good about it.

In response to the mileage inconsistency, it's likely a mistake, because if you take the 1 off, the mileage is on pace. Plus with one owner, there's not much motivation to roll back the odometer and sell it 6 years later.

Old 01-22-2006, 11:03 PM

that's good. Sounds legit. Things to look out for are the big ticket items:

1. Rear Main Seal - Check for oil where the transmission and engine meet. REplacing the seal is a $1000 job.

2. A/C Evaporator is known to go on these cars, especially if there is no cabin filtration in place. Replacing an Evap is $1200 or so. Make sure the A/C works.

3. Timing belt should be done at 70K and again at 140K. The 140K is a major service so be prepared for that. You may want to change the water pump and timing belt tensioner to be on the safe side. It's coming up soon...

4. Has a new radiator ever been installed? The cooling system on these cars has to be running perfect because of the Turbo and the damage to the engine if they ever overheat.

Hope this helps...

Old 01-22-2006, 11:40 PM

He had the A/C on when we were driving, I remember my left hand (next to the vent) was freezing, so I know that's fine. I asked him if the timing belt had been done, he said yes, all the regular service.

I'll have to check about the radiator and also the rear main seal. Assuming these things check out okay, how's it sounding? Thanks for the info.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:30 PM

Any more thoughts on this guys? Tech?

As it stands I'm going to buy from him tonight after work... I'm not doing anything stupid, right? RIGHT? [8D]

Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

It really doesn't sound all that bad. The only reason I say that is because it is a one owner car. And they are older. Chances are then it wasn't beaten up.

If you feel happy with it then I would go ahead and buy it.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:51 PM

I think I'm gonna take the plunge. At the very least I know where I can come for help! Thanks guys for all the advice and info, it's been very helpful.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:12 AM

Sounds like a keeper...we want pictures!!

Old 01-24-2006, 03:00 AM

I'll post some photos soon, for now I'm a very happy man. That is one very fast wagon.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:11 PM

That's good. If you spool up that turbo, remember to let the car idle for about 1 minute or so to prevent oil coking. In other words, don't floor the car and then shut it off. You'll place extra wear on the turbocharger.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:20 PM

Good to know... haven't done that so far, and won't in the future. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator

CONGRATS!!

Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Default Photos...

Just wanted to let you guys know, the photos are up! Thanks again guys.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Photos...

Looks good. For some reason I like that color better on the wagon than on the sedan. I like the bright red on the sedan. It's a tough color to keep clean though. Here's a picture of mine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/1637/0C881E71D47E4609AD7A9994B929DFFF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Default RE: Photos...

Looks great! Nice color.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:48 PM

ttt

about this testing the milage from the computer thing.

can someone say the steps correctly?I tried it and it dont work per instructions.

I think maybe the light on or off is mixed up.

thanx

Quick Reply: Have Carfax, Need Opinions!