Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

HD Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Transmission

Its been a while since my last post....
quick question reguarding the trannys on the 850..
was there a HD option for towing? or is this just a sale line?
If not whats the recomended tow weight for the 850.. im not pulling stumps, but a small trailer would be nice

Old 12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Default RE: HD Transmission

Since there was no reply I will assume that this information was false.. however I still would like to know what the ability of the 850 is to tow. Has anybody done any towing with their 850?

Old 12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the owners manual has information on towing.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:40 PM

I'm not so lucky to have one...

Old 12-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Its been years since I towed caravans or boats, all in the UK, but seeing as I'm sat in the office with my handbook, no, its not with me wherever I go, I just had a fog bulb go and was looking to see how it was changed, I'l quote what it say's;

Max Trailer weight

w/o brakes 1540 lbs

with brakes 3300 lbs on a 2" ball
with brakes 2000 lbs on a 1 7/8" ball

Permissible axle weight rear

850 sedan 1980 lbs
850 wagon 2220 lbs

Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 AM

On-line owners manual...
http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...0_416.htm#4:17
When preparing for trailer towing, observe the following:

# Volvo recommends the use of Volvo trailer hitches which are specially designed for the car. For trailer weights exceeding 2000 lbs (908 kg), use only a trailer hitch offered as a Genuine Volvo accessory.

NOTE: Models with automatic transmission are equipped with a transmission oil cooler as standard equipment. This cooler helps prevent overheating of the transmission during times of increased load, as when towing a trailer.

Maximum trailer weight recommended by Volvo is:
# Trailers without brakes : 1100 lbs (500kg)
# Trailers with brakes: 2" (50 mm) ball - 3300 lbs (1500 kg), 1 7/8" (47 mm) ball - 2000 lbs (908 kg).
Observe the legal requirements of the state/province in which the vehicles are registered. All Volvo models are equipped with energy-absorbing shock-mounted bumpers. Trailer hitch installation should not interfere with the proper operation of this bumper system.

Trailer towing does not normally present any particular problems, but take into consideration:
# Increase tire pressure to recommended full. See section "Wheels and tires".
# Recommended hitch tongue load is 110 (50 kg) for trailer weights below 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg) and 165 lbs (75 kg) for trailer weights above 2,650 lbs (1,200 kg). For trailer weights between 2,650 - 3,300 lbs (1,200 - 1,500 kg) a top speed of 50 mph (80 km/h) should never be exceeded.
# Engine and transmission are subject to increased loads. Therefore, engine coolant temperature should be closely watched when driving in hot climates or hilly terrain. Use lower gear and turn off air conditioner if the temperature gauge pointer enters the red range.
# Avoid overload and other abusive operation.
# Hauling a trailer affects handling, durability, and economy.
# It is necessary to balance trailer brakes with the towing vehicle brakes to provide a safe stop (check and observe State/Local regulations).
# Do not connect the trailer's brake system directly to the vehicle's brake system.
# More frequent vehicle maintenance is required.
# Remove the ball and drawbar assembly when the hitch is not being used,
# Volvo recommends the use of synthetic engine oil when towing a trailer over long distances or in mountainous areas.

NOTE: Refer to section "Automatic transmission" for additional trailer hauling tips.

WARNING!
# Bumper-attached trailer hitches must not be used on Volvos, nor should safety chains be attached to the bumper.
# Trailer hitches attaching to the vehicle rear axle must not be used.
# Never connect a trailer's hydraulic brake system directly to the vehicle brake system, nor a trailer's lighting system directly to the vehicle lighting system. Consult your nearest authorized Volvo retailer for correct installation.

http://apps.volvocars.us/ownersdocs/...50_406.htm#4:7
# When towing a trailer, select shift position 3.

# While towing a trailer in hilly terrain, do not drive continuously at engine speeds above 4500 rpm to help avoid high engine oil temperatures.

#

Cooling system

The risk for engine overheating is greatest, especially in hot weather, when:
# towing a trailer up steep inclines for prolonged periods at wide open throttle and low engine rpm.
# stopping the engine suddenly after high speed driving (so-called "after-boiling" can occur).
# To avoid overheating, the following rules should be followed:
# Do not drive for prolonged periods at engine speeds above 4500 rpm if you are towing a trailer in hilly terrain,
# Reduce speed and downshift when towing a trailer up long, steep inclines. The risk of overheating can be reduced by switching off the air conditioning system for a short time.
# Do not let the engine idle unnecessarily for prolonged periods.
# Do not mount auxiliary lamps in front of the grill.
When the risk of overheating is imminent, or in the event of overheating (the temperature gauge goes repeatedly into, or stays continually in, the red section), the following precautions should be taken:
# Switch off the air conditioning system.
# Stop the car and put the gear lever into neutral. Do not stop the engine!
# Switch the heater to full (maximum) position. Increase the engine speed to approx. 2000 rpm (twice idling speed) until the temperature begins to drop.

WARNING! Do not remove coolant expansion tank cap.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:49 PM

Thats great, thanks a lot...
I dont have my Grand Cherokee any more and for the little amount that I tow im starting to feel the absence of my Jeep.