Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Head Gasket Replacement 850 GLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket Replacement 850 GLT

Hi,

I'm a newbie here but not to cars and working on them. I am considering buying what might be a good deal that violates my first rule of buying a car; I can't drive it. It allegedly has a blown head gasket. If that's the only thing wrong, it might be a good deal. I'm looking for quick answers so I can make a decision.

I don't know the year; I've requested the VIN which will tell me all about it.

Is replacing a head gasket something that could reasonably done in my home garage with floor jack and jack stands?

I saw a post by tech saying that someone needed about $400 worth of gaskets to do the head gasket; is that true?

Would it make sense to go ahead and do the timing belt and associated at the same time? I presume yes. Again the VIN ought to tell me the mileage and the due dates of TB changes using the empirical number of every 60K miles.

Depending on the mileage, it might be best to overhaul or replace the engine at the same time; something I definitely won't do in my home garage -- maybe not.

Please answer right away and let er rip; maybe this is a stupid deal.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Head Gasket Replacement 850 GLT

If it is pretty cheap I would buy it.
It is do able in a garage.

The Gaskets will be pretty close but look in the General section for the Links to sites post and check the prices.

Sweedish Volvo parts is a pretty good site.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this out...

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvoeng850engine.htm

275234 Head Gasket Set 1994-1997 Turbo Models B5234 Engine Only $89.00

-Mike

Old 10-16-2006, 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

If it is pretty cheap I would buy it.
It is do able in a garage.

The Gaskets will be pretty close but look in the General section for the Links to sites post and check the prices.

Sweedish Volvo parts is a pretty good site.
Hi,

I love this list; it's enough to make me want to buy a Volvo instead of an Audi or MB.

I have more information since I posted the original query. The owner says the car is a 1993, that she drove it aobut 40 miles overheating, that water was added intermittently during the drive home(the 40 miles), that she had little warning; the light went from normal to overheat and the engine puked, that a wrench friend that works on trucks and forklifts told her the head wasn't warped and didn't need to be decked, that the car already has a salvage title(I didn't know this), that the car is otherwise in good condition.

From my own experience, when one of these overheats enough to expel coolant, it also drinks some, and that coolant migrates to the cat, blocking the cat partially. I don't know but I suspect that the cat contains one or more OxS, and all would have to be replaced to allow it to run again. Moreover, I would want the head decked if not rebuilt while it's off, which, IMHO, is the only way to be sure that there's no real damage and ought to be done while it's off anyway.

BTW, I told the owner that the "water" should be a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol or equivalent and water. She "didn't know that".

I can get the car for $500.

Are the head to block bolts stretch bolts that have to be to be sequentially torqued and then tightened 1/4 turn at a time with a breaker bar?

Be sure that you understand that my garage is a normal, residential garage, not a workshop called a garage where cars are regularly worked on.

Does any of this change your mind about the practicality of buying this car? I would buy it to be my daily driver until further notice.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:20 PM

Hi,

Sorry for crying wolf. I went over, took a look at the car, and got the VIN. Its appearance was a little below what I'd expect. In fact, it looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet. When I got back, I ran a check on the VIN. The car has a JUNK title, not a SALVAGE title. Apparently, some parts of the original car were used to build the target car including the VIN. But, the Autocheck definition of JUNK is that the car is not Roadworthy. I decided to pass.

Thanks to all that responded. Maybe I'll have a real, live car to work on yet.

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2006, 11:31 AM

Would this be a Volvo red in color in College Station?

Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: ambmech8

Would this be a Volvo red in color in College Station?
Hi,

No, this was a green with tan leather POS in Elk Grove, CA. This car was reassembled using cannabalized parts if I interpret the JUNK title correctly.

That wasn't the only bullet I dodged in the past few days. I've run AutoCheck(comp of Carfax) on many cars in the past 2 weeks and most of them are fraudulent in some way or another. Goes with the territory when you try to find a bargain on the internet.

The big deal going on out here is for enterprising scammers to monitor the towing and storage yards for vehicles impounded due to seizure usually due to driving under the influence. The car must stay in impound for 30 days and, when the previous owner gets out of custody, s/he owes at least $2,000 to retrieve the car, and many of them abandon the car. The vultures pick them up for the impound fee and advertise them on eBay and CraigsList.

You asked me what time it is and I explained how a clock works.

Cheers!

Old 10-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Well I am glad we are in different states. I found a 93 850 for 1000.00 with a head gasket problem. I went to see it. It is in great shape and minor damage to block and head. This will be a cream puff when I get through with it.