Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Help with weird A/C problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with weird A/C problem?

My wife and I are looking at buying a very nice 1996 Volvo 850R turbo. Everything on it is nice even the color combo except it has two weird problems and I don't know anything about Volvo's. When you turn it on and start it the fan blower blows constant no matter what. On the A/C control panel nothing works period. The fan speed control, on-off switch, cold hot dial everything does not work at all but the fan still blows. Any ideas on what it could be or if you have run into this problem and how to repair it. Also the brake lights do not work when pressing the brake pedal. The normal rear running lights work fine but the brake lights do not work. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Again we are looking at buying it and just don't want something that will possibly cost a thousand dollars to repair. Any help guys would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum.

You really should read this Buyer's Guide before buying one of these cars. They are over 15 years old and will need care, maintenance, and repairs all the time.
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...s-guide-13678/

What ever you do, make sure you test drive it at least 30 minutes. It takes that long for CEL's to come back on after being reset sometimes. I can't count the number of times I have read "on my way home from the purchase...".

You'll have to be more specific about the AC, fan issue. All of the R's have ECC and anytime the fan slider is in the off - 0 position, nothing should be on. Does the fan blow at different speeds? Can you select degrost or auto? Are there any lights flashing on it (2 orange)?

As for the brake lights, it's likely the switch at the brake pedal. SMH

If you are not handy and like tinkering, I suggest you stay away from the FWD Volvo's. Get a 960, 940, etc. The R's are awsome cars but will need attention.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 PM

" What ever you do, make sure you test drive it at least 30 minutes. It takes that long for CEL's to come back on after being reset sometimes. I can't count the number of times I have read "on my way home from the purchase...".

You'll have to be more specific about the AC, fan issue. All of the R's have ECC and anytime the fan slider is in the off - 0 position, nothing should be on. Does the fan blow at different speeds? Can you select degrost or auto? Are there any lights flashing on it (2 orange)? "

what are the CEL's? As far as the A/C goes no matter what the fan slider is on or no matter what the auto or degrost switch is set on the fan blows the same non stop. There are no lights flashing on the dash or anywhere. The A/C control panel is completely dead. Nothing works period except the fan blows from the time the car is started to the time the car is turned off. It is weird.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by rspi; 05-31-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Usually when it acts like that the electronic A/C unit is bad. The entire unit slides out and can be replaced. I had to replace the one in both of my cars already.

I agree on the brake light switch as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM

Ok now the million dollar question is how much does an A/C unit cost and how easy or hard are they to replace? Besides Volvo can you get the A/C unit anyplace else that might be a bit cheaper or is it a dealer only part?

Thanks again!
Paul

Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by pkepneriv
" What ever you do, make sure you test drive it at least 30 minutes. It takes that long for CEL's to come back on after being reset sometimes. I can't count the number of times I have read "on my way home from the purchase...".
What are the CEL's you are talking about?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Administrator

New as far as I know it is dealer only.
But you can find them used as well.
It pretty much just pops out of the dash. Pull the radio out. Then reach in and push the module out from behind.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Oh and by CELS he means the check engine light and engine codes.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM

The guy is asking $999 or best offer for the car. It is black with very nice dark grey leather interior, grey carpet, automatic, sunroof, and everything else works on it. It does not smoke when started or revved up. It drives great and feels very tight. Do you think it is worth it or what do you think we should offer for it?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 05-31-2012, 07:26 PM

Thats a good price for it. In my personal opinion, has to have something that the owner kniws is bad and doesnt wanna tell you or he doesnt know what kind of rare car is, being is and 850R. Make sure the odometer is working and get a carfax.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Administrator

IMO (In My Opinion), any car that starts and drives is worth $1,000. From the questions you are asking, I would suggest you NOT purchase a 850.

As for the ECC unit, I can ship you a used one for under $100. As Tech said, it slides in and out in less than 5 minutes, 10 if you take your time. Beware, they do bite so use a hand towel or something to protect yourself.

I have NEVER ever read about anyone buying a 850 R that did not simply LOVE IT. The last 2 cars I purchased were 850 R's. I take that back, the last 2 cars I purchased with plans of keeping longer than 30 days were 850 R's. I do encourage you to read the buyer's guide I linked above. As with any 17 year old car, it will need some work. You need to know what work needs to be done to it in short order after you purchase it. The big 3 are timing belt, PCV system, A/C repairs. If you pay the stealer to do those things you can quickly spend $3,400. If you can turn a wrench and do those things yourself you're looking at $600. If I could, I would go there and buy the car without seeing the body, just off the fact that it runs. But as you can imagine, I can fix 90% of the issues the car will ever have.

If you do get it and need help, let us know, we'll be glad to help you as much as possible.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 PM

What all is involved in removing the radio so I can get the A/C and heat controls out? Are the brake light switches a common thing to go out? My wife isn't to crazy about the car because the a/c is not working. Sad because I really like the car.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
IMO (In My Opinion), any car that starts and drives is worth $1,000. From the questions you are asking, I would suggest you NOT purchase a 850.
Why do you suggest I not buy a 850R?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Administrator

If you look on the front sides of the radio you will see a button that is flush. You press the buttons in and they will pop out. Then pull them out all then way and slide the radio out. Then you can reach in and get to the climate module.

A 850R for 1K I would hand the money and drive it away as fast as you can!!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:46 PM

I forgot one more thing. the power radio is dead. No lights and nothing comes on at all. Wasn't sure if that makes a difference in the A/C system or not but thought I'd throw in that bit of info.

Thanks,
Paul

Old 06-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Administrator

From time to time these radios die. You can check the fuse for that.
If need be you can get an aftermarket radio from crutchfield.com

I just paid $160.00 for one. It came with the mount kit and wiring for the 850 all for the $160.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Why do you suggest I not buy a 850R?

Thanks,
Paul
Did you NOT read my post just above it, with repair and maintenance cost? These cars require care, maintenance and repairs all the time. Most people don't like spending $1,000 for a car then $3,500 to get it in shape. And that's for the urgent issues. The nickle & dime stuff can run you another $2,000, suspension parts, tires, PNP switch, etc. The list goes on. I guess this could be the case with any 15+ year old car. The good thing about Volvo's is that they will run and drive like a new car even at this age while other's feel like old buckets.

I repeat for the 3rd or 4th time, if you are not handy, it will cost a lot to keep the car nice.

You can get a replacement radio for the car for $50 or less. I actually have a spare myself. If you pull that AC unit out, make sure you put a hand towel on your arms and gloves on your hands when you push it out from the back. I got cut twice by mine. It pops out and the jult caused me to get cut by the plastic framing. Then the unit may pop out and land on your arms which can also cause bodily harm. Just saying, it bites.

It has taken me a year to get our 850 into shape. Today I plan to change the oil, fuel filter, replace a speaker, and tear into the dash again because I have 2 lights out and my trip computer isn't working properly. All of which would cost about $450 if I had to pay a shop to deal with my issues. So far this year I have driven the car to Albuquerque (1,800 miles round trip) and to Charlotte NC twice (1,500 miles round trip each time). I have put about 14,000 miles on it so far this year and have a couple of more trips planned. I get about 23 mpg in the area and 28 on the highway. I really like the car but I do stay on top of maintenance and repairs. Even when it had a bad tranny I drove it 1/2 way across the country and put over 2,500 miles on it with no problem.

I'm with Tech, I'd buy the car in a minute. But both of us know how to fix things.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

pkepneriv, they are just trying to tell you it can be expensive to own a Volvo compared to a Chevy Malibu, Ford Taurus or Toyota Corolla. If you can handle some of the repairs and have some tools and the mental skills to think through a problem then it's a great buy you can fix up at your leisure. If you're all thumbs and don't know which end of a 12 volt test light grounds to then it's not a good buy for you as it can be much more expensive in maintenance and repair if you end up paying someone else to do the work than the average 15 year old car.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Here's the thing, all cars need repairs and upkeep. If it's new and under warranty, the stealer sucks it up in a round about way. Once it's out of warranty you have to pay. People don't mind paying $1,800 to fix a car they paid $25,000 for, but when it comes to a car they paid $1,000 for, it somehow coakes them. I'd rather put $2,500 in a car that I paid $800 for than put $1,200 in a car that I paid $15,000 for.

At any rate, my estimate is that these 90's Volvo's cost $75 per month to maintain.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Default A/C Issue

My wife and I are looking at buying a very nice 1996 Volvo 850R turbo. Everything on it is nice even the color combo except it has two weird problems and I don't know anything about Volvo's. When you turn it on and start it the fan blower blows constant no matter what. On the A/C control panel nothing works period. The fan speed control, on-off switch, cold hot dial everything does not work at all but the fan still blows. Any ideas on what it could be or if you have run into this problem and how to repair it. Also the brake lights do not work when pressing the brake pedal. The normal rear running lights work fine but the brake lights do not work. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. Again we are looking at buying it and just don't want something that will possibly cost a thousand dollars to repair. Any help guys would be great.

Thanks,
Paul
Did you buy the car? If so, what did you do to repair the a/c?

Quick Reply: Help with weird A/C problem?