Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Hi, I am new and have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I am new and have a problem...

well, more than one, but let's start with the car problem

I have a 1994 Estate Volvo 850.
Last friday it started making problems. The warning lights in the dashboard started glowing, the head light went dimmer and the windscreen wipers slowed down.
Next day the car didn't start.
My neighbour (ex car mechanic) changed the spark plugs, the distributor cap and the ignition coil....
It now starts again, but the lights still come on and now the orange Lambda light is on permanently.

Any idea what it is? I thought about the alternator, but then, wouldn't the battery be dead by now? I am rather concerned now about what is going on.

Thanks for your help

(Please be easy on me, I am female AND blonde )

Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM

You might have had an intermittent problem with the regulator/alternator when you noticed lights going dim and wipers going slow. In that case, I would replace the regulator and brushes in the alternator or get a replacement alternator altogether if it was not replaced anytime soon.
for further help, we will need more details like what codes are stored ? you migh just have to reset them and then see is they reappear. they might just have come becuase of draining voltage.
Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't recommend replacing the internal devices in the alternator; it would be better just to replace the alternator with a rebuilt Bosch alternator with lifetime warranty (Pep-Boys has them for about $230 with core charge). That is, if the alternator turns out the cause. Yes, if the alternator has served its life, it would cease to charge the battery. I would like to know the model year of your car, as well as the brand name of the battery & its age. An average automotive battery lasts somewhere between 3-5 years, depending on the initial conditions & care. Avoid cheap franchise batteries, as they are nothing but troubles. I would go with The Interstate Battery or other reputable products.

My alternator failed at 14 years/130,000 miles and safety factor concerned, I would replace mine at every 10 years/100,000 miles.

>changed the spark plugs, the distributor cap and the ignition coil....
These items hardly have anything to do with the described problems (but I assume they needed to be refreshed anyway).

I believe you're in EU, AU, NZ or Asia (the U.S models do not have the lambda light; it is Check Engine Light), correct? The lambda light is telling you that the on-board computer has stored a fault code in the electronic engine control. You need to retrieve the code(s) and post it(them) here so that we can better help you. You do not need any tools/testers to get the codes since your car is 1994 (1996 & later models require special tester). See attached for the procedure or wait until other members can describe it in the text.

I hope this gets you started.

(Please be easy on me, I am a male AND black-haired Asian)

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-2-.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-3-.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-4-.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-5-.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-6-.jpg  

Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
JPN

2nd reply.

If they seem overwhelming, have someone else work with you or let us know and we will walk you through with the procedure.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-turbo-detailed-obd-i-7-.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-code-1.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-code-2.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-code-3.jpg   Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-code-4.jpg  

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM
JPN

3rd reply, indicating the location of the data-retrieving terminal.

Wait for other members' inputs as well; they are razor-sharp.

JPN

Attached Thumbnails Hi, I am new and have a problem...-850-eng-compt-ecu.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 03:47 AM

Thanks for your reply. Though it is all gobble dee gook to me
The model is amanual with a 2.0l engine. I live in the UK, so yes, it is an european model. I actual thought the Lambda sign shows a broken cat converter. You learn something new every day.

So when I check for the codes, how do I do that, if I don't need an extra tool. I read the attachments, but they all seem to imply you need some "scanning" tool.

Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM

The tool shown in the posts above is actually built-in on your car under the hood. If you print these instructions and then go under the hood of the car, You should be able to get to read the codes and clear them from there. The procedure looks very scary at the first look but is really simple once you get to know it.

BTW, I am in Canada and Canadian versions also come with Lambda light instead of Check engine light.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 AM

Hi,

thanks for all your help. Not that I managed to find the fault. Saying that, today I broke down with the car and the road rescue person said that the alternator is gone. If anybody would be so kind to point me in the direction of instructions how to change it I would be very happy.

Thanks

Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 AM
JPN

If you are not mechanically inclined, have someone else help you, because a few devices driven by the belt (called serpentine accessory drive belt; one belt drives the alternator, power-steering pump, air-conditioning compressor and so on) need to come out. I would also recommend that you spend a few pounds in Haynes 850 Service Manual.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volvo-1993-1...7119065&sr=8-2

You need a basic set of metric hand tools. Not sure what brands are affordable & popular in the U.K.

This is how I do mine:

- Disconnect negative battery cable (make sure to have the radio code) and cover the cable end with a kitchen-type plastic bag.

- Move the coolant reservoir aside; it is held in place with no fastener and you simply lift it upward.

- 15 minutes after having disconnected the negative battery cable, remove all ECU modules in the ECU box, and remove the box itself as well and store them where they cannot be accidentally damaged, especially from the static discharge.

- Remove the serpentine belt. You need to relax the belt to remove it. There is a tensioner pulley; a round silver pulley that puts tension onto the belt and you need a tool called breaker bar + a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter. With these tools, move the pulley in the direction (CCW) to relax the belt, then insert a small drill bit or any hard metal that can fit the small hole on the corner of the pulley. At the max-relaxed position, you insert something like a drill bit to hold it in place.

- Remove power-steering reservoir; do not disconnect any hoses running to it; simply remove the bolts/nuts.

- Remove the idler-pulley panel; a large panel with one pulley on it.

- Remove the wirings on the alternator. This may take some getting used to.

- Remove the bolts & nuts holding the alternator. One bolt is kind of hidden so you have to feel it to access it. If the alternator does not budge, there is one bolt still keeping it in place.

- Do everything in the reverse order.

Keep in mind:

- Do this when the engine is stone cold to avoid burns.
- Get a rebuilt Bosch alternator. Do not cheap out on automotive parts.
- Make sure the battery is fully charged before firing up the engine. If not fully charged, the new alternator may be damaged.
- Take some photos at each step to avoid getting extra nuts & bolts upon completion.
- Double check everything you do.

If this seems overwhelming, have a garage do it for you. Allow yourself at least a day should you decide to tackle it your own.

REF:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/850_serp.pdf

I may have missed a step or two, as the last time I did mine was about 2 years ago, so wait for other members' inputs as well.

JPN

Last edited by JPN; 03-15-2009 at 07:35 AM.