Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

How to test the Volvo 850, S70, V70 PCV System - Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Lightbulb How to test the Volvo 850, S70, V70 PCV System - Video

The Volvo PCV system is one of the most neglected maintenance items on the I5 cars. Failing to maintain this system can cause major oil leaks. I blew one of my cam seals one evening and lost 2-1/2 quarts of oil in just 2 miles. If you do not know when it was serviced last, replace the system today.

This video will show you how to test the system on the Volvo 850, S70, V70 and other Volvo cars.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I pull the dip stick out at idle on my car, it smokes lightly. This is nothing new to me, for the car has done this for years, and the car has no oil leaks, so no blown seals yet.

I know replacing the PCV system can be expensive and time consuming to service, so why not go with the slightly ye-olde way of relieving pressure crankcase through a tube with a filter/catch can attached to the end of the dip stick tube and/or a hole drilled in the oil cap? I haven't been doing that, and don't plan on doing so unless I do eventually run into pressure issues, but wouldn't it work? Sure it would be old fashioned and technically violate emissions, but it should save your engine from damaging pressures in a pinch, correct?

Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM

that is my set up right now until my parts come. it will still build pressure and push oil through the filter

Old 07-27-2013, 10:02 AM

I guess there are 'other' ways to fix any problem, but considering the PCV service is supposed to be done every 100k, and that it's not all that difficult or time consuming, I went ahead and did mine the 'right' way - plus, my vacuum line that went into the side of the intake manifold was rotten and broken, causing a CEL, P0172 Bank 1 System Too Rich. So, I had to pull the manifold and replace the longest vacuum line anyways.

FCP has a video that goes in depth about doing the PCV system on a 96 turbo car. Ben McNally does a PCV system in what seems to only take about 20 minutes. It took me 5 hours, I'd guess, but now that I've done it once, I think next time, it'll be maybe a 2 hour job.

The FCP kit is pretty good as-is, but I'd add a new o-ring for the dipstick tube, as well as new o-rings for the injectors, it's possible that the originals can be damaged upon removal, and they aren't that expensive - I'd rather have another $5-10 dollars of parts sitting here that I didn't need than have the car sidelined for a few days while I wait on UPS to bring more parts.

I also did a new oil fill cap gasket, as the original was no longer flexible, and wasn't making a great seal. I had a lot of oil under the spark plug cover on my car.

Might want to have 10 feet or so of vacuum line on hand as well, some of the originals are brittle, and will crumble in your hands while taking the car apart.

Another time, I might buy worm clamps instead of using the original style Oetiker clamps, which are single use only, and require a special tool to crimp.

This is what I looked like after disassembly

Compare that to what Ben looks like after doing the entire job on his car He's obviously done a few more of these than I have

Old 07-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnwartr
This is what I looked like after disassembly

Compare that to what Ben looks like after doing the entire job on his car He's obviously done a few more of these than I have
I just did the test and it looks like this is my next project.
I must be a dirt magnet because I always come out covered in grease and oil. Why can't I do it like the videos and come out spotless and all done in 20 minutes. I was watching some project videos for my other car and the guy was wearing a white lab coat and never got a spot on it, that's not me.
Thank you RSPI, where would we all be with out your videos and write ups.

Last edited by Phil 850; 07-27-2013 at 03:49 PM.