Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase

Since I posted over here the most you'll have to mosey on over to the V70 section to check it out. I will post pictures here as well though:

1998 V70R AWD. Silver with Tan Leather/Suede. These are the before pictures as it sits now. In the process of cleaning it up.

Attached Thumbnails I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1425.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1427.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1428.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1429.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1431.jpg  

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM

In the process of cleaning it up?! It looks pretty good as it is!!

Nice buy.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweetness, good looking wagon there

Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 PM

i love those seats... ive got to get a set for mine
nice car!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! Congrats on finally ending the Search for the right Volvo. And BTW I love the Silver V70R's!

Old 02-22-2011, 06:04 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

A sheer beauty indeed.

JPN

Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 AM

great looking car. is that a BBS RK2 that I see in the background in the first pic? Whats that off of?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son has the exact same car only with the charcoal interior. He really like is. I think 98 might be the best year for Volvos.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice Matt, shes a beauty.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Looks great! Also, Do I see a Fox body Mustang in the background?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:59 AM

looks like a nice clean car

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM

thanks guy's for the compliments and yes that is a fox body in the back ground. Theres another one outside the garage. The blue one is a 1991 old Carolina state trooper car and the one not shown is a 1993 Black on Black coupe. The wheels are RK2 from BBS. They came off an Audi A4 and I am trying to sell them for a friend of mine. He wants to put them on his new Hyundai but the spacers in the center are not the right fit for his rear hubs.

The Volvo is really dirty. I am taking my time and doing it a little at a time. I am getting it with a tooth brush type of detailing. Cleaning the door jams and the seats. Interior body panels and such. The I am going to hit under the hood and go to town there. Anyone know what can be done to clean the suede portion of the seats? What works good?

I took it buy a shop to have the car looked over. It definitly needs some things I missed when I first looked at it. Evidently the power steering rack is leaking (this explains the little drip I have been seeing). The previous owner said he was replacing the boot or something and it was residual fluid...I give that a big ole BS statement. Also it appears I will need a new drivers side A-ARM with a ball joint as it has some play in it(Passanger side is newer and is fine). Finally the upper engine/stabilizer mount is bad. Anyone have some suggestions on getting the old one out without removing the whole mounting bracket? The shop said it's pressed in from the factory.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by turbo matt
thanks guy's for the compliments and yes that is a fox body in the back ground. Theres another one outside the garage. The blue one is a 1991 old Carolina state trooper car and the one not shown is a 1993 Black on Black coupe. The wheels are RK2 from BBS. They came off an Audi A4 and I am trying to sell them for a friend of mine. He wants to put them on his new Hyundai but the spacers in the center are not the right fit for his rear hubs.

The Volvo is really dirty. I am taking my time and doing it a little at a time. I am getting it with a tooth brush type of detailing. Cleaning the door jams and the seats. Interior body panels and such. The I am going to hit under the hood and go to town there. Anyone know what can be done to clean the suede portion of the seats? What works good?

I took it buy a shop to have the car looked over. It definitly needs some things I missed when I first looked at it. Evidently the power steering rack is leaking (this explains the little drip I have been seeing). The previous owner said he was replacing the boot or something and it was residual fluid...I give that a big ole BS statement. Also it appears I will need a new drivers side A-ARM with a ball joint as it has some play in it(Passanger side is newer and is fine). Finally the upper engine/stabilizer mount is bad. Anyone have some suggestions on getting the old one out without removing the whole mounting bracket? The shop said it's pressed in from the factory.
the bushing you can cut it out with some kind of knife/saw. all the power stearing racks leak..
wait for other replys for your other q's.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by matt01
the bushing you can cut it out with some kind of knife/saw. all the power stearing racks leak..
wait for other replys for your other q's.
Thats all, well cool then I can do that with no problems. Is this something needing to be done soon...I am concerned about if it is binding something and tearing something else up?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by turbo matt
Thats all, well cool then I can do that with no problems. Is this something needing to be done soon...I am concerned about if it is binding something and tearing something else up?
i would imagine the longer you wait it'll strain your other lower bushings more to compensate.. but if there finished, then you have nothing to worry about, except loss in performance and MPG..

you should buy a performance bushing such as powerflex as there made in solid sillicone and will probably never need to be changed again.

(See IPD, or Eurosport tuning)

Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by matt01
i would imagine the longer you wait it'll strain your other lower bushings more to compensate.. but if there finished, then you have nothing to worry about, except loss in performance and MPG..

you should buy a performance bushing such as powerflex as there made in solid sillicone and will probably never need to be changed again.

(See IPD, or Eurosport tuning)
The previous owner said he changed the lower engine mount...could be another BS statement. Next time I get it on the lift I will check it out. Am I just cutting out the rubber portion of the mount or am I cutting more. There looks like a metal sleeve but I can not tell if it is part of the old rubber bushing or not. Here is a few pictures:

Attached Thumbnails I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1425-1-.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1426-1-.jpg   I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase-dsc_1427-1-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM

looks like your top mount is shot

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 91shelby
looks like your top mount is shot
Yes it is; I can move it back and forth. Any suggestions on getting it out. The shop said they were pressed in and matt01 said just to cut it out. Does that mean just the rubber portion or is there a metal sleeve as well. I have a saw zaw, dremmel, or angle cutter I could use. What do you suggest or anyone?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 PM

the bushing in the center should come right out as it doesnt look like its attached to anything, and i would try to heat up the rubber thats left to get it out if possible

Last edited by 91shelby; 02-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM

Quick Reply: I took the plunge and made my 1st Volvo purchase