Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

If i were to sell...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If i were to sell...

not ready to yet, but just getting some other opinions. right now, i have the yelow 95 t5R, and the wife is driving a 96 T5. we really dont need both cars, but must keep 1 of em, with the new baby. also, will be getting my father's truck, so 3 vehicles for 2 people is too much space.

which one would be easier to sell?

95 Yellow T5R, mostly just cosmetic changes. (something came up and stole my money for the exhaust ). i have all the original parts, like the grill / headlamps, airbox, etc, since i knew one of them would be going. 149k miles, 2 small (thumb-sized) dings in the hood, from a branch kickin its butt. has the fan-style wheels, since it was bought at a volvo dealership (and they dont sell them with pegasus anymore, apparently). runs great, good tires, good paint, only thing with the interior, is the steering wheel has started peeling on the top, and the infamous broken cupholder. my other car was refinanced into this one, so i owe about $7500 on it still (i seen it, and had to have it). would have to ask for at least that, just to break even.

the 96 is white, 148k miles. mostly stock, has a vinyl racing stripe, which can be removed. also only the intake, which is replaceable back to stock. same story- good paint, good tires, runs great. some driver side door dings, from other shoppers opening their door into it, all small, noticable only in direct lighting. that one, we own clear.

im not dumb enough to trade in the T5R, but i think that would be the one of the 2 i could sell, from its limited availability, but probly not enough to pay it off.

Kelly Blue book lists the T5R, in excellent condition, at $2,500 for trade in, $4k for private, and retail at $5,500. (i paid $6k a year ago). the 96 is listed close enough to be called the same values.

so what are the opinions? maybe wait a little longer, pay off more of the loan, and sell the t5R, or get rid of the 96? this isnt an immediate thing, just sometime in the next year or so

Old 05-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would keep the Yellow one and sell the other one.
But that's just me and I am also bias because I own one!! LOL

Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flamejet
im not dumb enough to trade in the T5R, but i think that would be the one of the 2 i could sell, from its limited availability, but probly not enough to pay it off.
I think you answered your own question right there.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find myself in the same sort of dilemmas. I do want to keep three cars cause they are so old and it’s nice to always have two available while I can have one out of commission for some reason. But I really want a two seater sports car which means one of the Volvo’s has to go. I can tell you this much, the yellow T5R isn’t going anywhere though, and I find it hard to get rid of the white 97 850 R also, but I really like having the wagon which is a 98 V70 GLT. Nothing special about the car, but it’s reliable and I use the wagon as a utility vehicle quite a bit. If I could just convert the R to a wagon everything would be fine, or build another garage and keep everything and buy some more cars.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimKW
build another garage and keep everything and buy some more cars.
i love that idea.

and thanks tex :P - half the time i dont think about what im posting, i just let the thoughts flow. this can be good and bad

i do have a 3 car garage, like jim's sig pic... however, the 3rd door / space, is being used as my (dont judge) D&D gaming area. guess i could move that party elsewhere, but then i wouldnt have the scenery of the banana to get me thru the boring dm monologs...

thanks for the imput gentlemen

Old 05-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The only reason I purchased an 850 R was the rare Yellow. I believe it will sell faster than the other but I think it will be tough to get the price. You can sell it and put balance on the other car.

The other could be sold and you can take the money and bring the balance down on the yellow one.

As for me, I would keep the Yellow one after I swapped the SEATS :-). LOL