Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

The infamous Volvo 850 "My car dies while driving but starts no problem" problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The infamous Volvo 850 "My car dies while driving but starts no problem" problem...

Hey everyone,

Please help!

- 1993 850 GLT
- car dies intermittently while driving ie once every two days or so
- no warning lights on dash when this happens (check engine,etc)
- pull over, restart car and starts fine
- go home and check error codes - nada. All are clear (1-1-1)

I originally posted this as a possible cam sensor fail again but since the post the "stalling" has happened twice and hasn't revealed any error codes including 3-1-4 (cam sensor). So I started reading and noted some posts about FUEL PUMP AND RELAY?

I don't mind doing the old "blind troubleshoot" intermittent by replacing a few inexpensive relays but I hear this FUEL PUMP on these things isn't cheap so any advice someone can give would be greatly appreciated. Man this would be so much easier if the car would just die completely wouldn't it?

First right answer gets a 24 of Labatt Blue mailed direct haha!

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-22-2009, 03:15 AM

Yes, cool article, I read that earlier. I had no idea relay problems were so common on these vehicles. I plan to check the relay tomorrow. Any idea what the output voltage to the pump should be coming off this relay? Is it higher that 12V?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the output should be '12' volts (close to your battery voltage).
The relay might have two problems.
Burnt contacts that can be cleaned with some very fine sand paper (1200).
And the normal bad solder joints and leaking capacitors.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:51 AM

Good info, thanks! Will let you know what I find tomorrow after inspection. ;-)

Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 AM

My 2 cents for the BAD fuel pump relay. :P

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a 740 GLE that did that a few times. It was the battery. Had bad cells.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 PM

Okay, checked it out, relay looks damn-near new - no cap leakage, bulge, bad solder joints, anything.

I was going to ask if there is any basic test for this thing other than continuity, voltage, etc, but being an "intermittent" problem any short term test will most likely yield only postive results (as the car runs most of the time, just quits every other day or so). Looks like I'll be borrowing the old lady's beater for this Friday's road trip lol.

Someone recommended hooking up a test light and taking note of it while driving ie if power is lost to the pump, but that involved splicing a few wires, not sure if I'm up for that.

Any hopes that "intermittent" will turn "permanent" anytime soon or do these Volvo quirks go on forever, or at least until I find a mechanic that doesn't play the "I think it's this" game after several tows and an empty wallet? ;-)

Old 07-22-2009, 01:43 PM

I havent seen a case where this kind of 'intemttent' problem has gone 'permanent' but the frequency goes up eventually. You will not have to splice any lines but will have to just connect the test light wires to the wires in connector for fuel pump just behind the rear seat and route them to a location where you can monitor the light. Thats the sure shot test for ruling out the possibilities of bad elecrical/component.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Now THAT sounds alot easier and cheaper thx! I'm going to try that.

Come to think of it - the more I think about the symptom (unlike when my cam sensor went and the llambda light came on just before quitting) - the car does die similar to that of running out of gas. And since there are no error codes (from all the research I've done the ECU does not monitor the fuel pump or relay, correct???) I'm starting to think we're on the right track with a fuel related problem.

I'll get working on that test light this afternoon. Glad I'm on holidays phew! thanks dudes. Any other ideas I'm all ears!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM

Okay have it hooked up and will monitor.

But in a related post that I posted I got a fellow now talking about the MAIN relay on top of the radiator:

Ah okay I gotcha. It's grey with No. 3 545 803. I've come to know this typically as the "MAIN RELAY" rather than injection relay, sorry. Visually inspected the relay, nothing obvious. Is there a TSB related to this? How do you test one of these? Or am I going to end up like everyone else (including a Volvo mechanic I know) just randomly replacing relays until the problem goes away?

I'm starting to think this car is a real piece of work. Never had these types of "intermittent" problems with any other vehicle I've owned (GM, import, etc).

Is this The Almighty's way of telling me (and the rest of us schmucks out here with the same problem) that the 850 is a turd on wheels?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Default So, i am not the only one!

I have a 1993 Volvo 850 GLT, with about 200K, that is doing the EXACT SAME THING! Every mechanic has told me they dont know what is up, they have offered to replace every relay, for hundreds of dollars, or they have just showed me the door because it can not be reproduced! So, if you have figured it out, please let me know, you can email me at my yahoo address, it is my user name here musicmansing5555 at yahoo.com. Thank you so much for your help

Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
I had a 740 GLE that did that a few times. It was the battery. Had bad cells.
Can be diagnosed w/ voltage meter.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jiveturkey31
Okay

I'm starting to think this car is a real piece of work. Never had these types of "intermittent" problems with any other vehicle I've owned (GM, import, etc).

Is this The Almighty's way of telling me (and the rest of us schmucks out here with the same problem) that the 850 is a turd on wheels?
"Okay", I'm trying like hell to hold my breath but I just have to exhale.

You are complaining about a <$50 item in a car that is most likely in better shape than anything you could find in the price range. "PLEASE" show me a 93 GM or import that is as good. I won't hold my hand and on my *** waiting.

Everyone is buying these old tanks because they still run and and they don't cost much to buy and they are still, after all of these years comfortable and safe. So for a few bucks you tell us they are a turd on wheels? Good for you. If you'er ever in Florida let me know and I'll show you what a little bit of work will get you in a 14-17 year old 850.

Maybe a Corsica would suite you better.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 AM

Replace the fuel pump relay.
Make sure you get a new RED one not an old style green one.
I also own a 1993 850 & had the exact same problem where it would just die while driving along.
Several mechanics charged me a lot of money but none could fix it.
I replaced the relay 6 months ago and it's run perfectly ever since.
Did it myself it's easy and the part is pretty cheap too.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:29 AM

Check your fuel pressure, especially when stalls, at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Normally 44 psi b/4 engine started, about 35 at idle. Low or no fuel pressure would confirm if there is fuel related issue. A very weak pump or clogged filter will cause stall, which will again give you very low fuel pressure as run out gas occurs.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM

yeah I would change the filter too and make sure there aren't any line restrictions and vent hose isn't blocked. I'm an expat who loves Labatt Blue but can't get it in NZ.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:54 AM

I just posted mine with the exact same problem is a 1996 850 turbo. My mechanic change the plugs and test the pump is a 50psi he said is excellent. I drove it fron\m Oklahoma to Texas almost 300 miles no problem got gas drove it 12 mint and died again while driving stop started and it ok again. They told me to check the coli and replace it ($135) ouch!!! so I see on your post to check the fuel realy I think I will go that route

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carodriguez
I just posted mine with the exact same problem is a 1996 850 turbo. My mechanic change the plugs and test the pump is a 50psi he said is excellent. I drove it fron\m Oklahoma to Texas almost 300 miles no problem got gas drove it 12 mint and died again while driving stop started and it ok again. They told me to check the coli and replace it ($135) ouch!!! so I see on your post to check the fuel realy I think I will go that route
You can throw another part in there (fuel pump relay) but you should first answer questions already asked: vacuum line breaks? Electrical loose connections (yank test)? Battery connections? New codes (pulled by light-flashing)?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiveturkey31

I have driven newer gm and import products that were POS's and had many more problems then my 95 850 w/200k, though 1993 is kind of a bastard year for the 850 as it was the first year in the US for the 850. but one <50$ part is no reason to say a car is bad. thats just ignorant thats like saying oh my alternator died this car sucks, its a part that is used alot over time and will die eventually. my buddy bought a 90 740 gl for 400$ w/215k and still going strong. sounds like a relay to me

Quick Reply: The infamous Volvo 850 "My car dies while driving but starts no problem" problem...