Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ipd sway bars

Old 07-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile ipd sway bars

hey guys l have a problem with my IPD sway bars and l need your help.l uninstalled both front end links and after taking them down my sway bars moved. l forgot to take a video of it but will do that later. it moved up and down and back and forth side ways.l torqued the bolts real hard but it kind of still moves.what do you guys think l did wrong?thank you

Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM

what could make a sway bar move when it is bolted and torqued well? low on grease or or bad bushings?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the bar new or used and if new did it include new bushings ??
The sway bar is supposed to move (not much) in the sway bar bushings. You should be able to twist it up and down a little by hand. I've never tried to shift it left and right as the few times I've installed bars I've started the bushing hold downs but waited until the links were in to use them as a guide to center the bar and then bolt them down tight. It's the reason they have ones that are greasable. It's to allow the bar to twist and transmit some of the energy causing the vehicle to lean to transfer to the other sides suspension.
I haven't had a problem with a bar "walking" from left to right in it's bushings but I did read a post about someone telling someone else about bolting something to the bar to hold it's position centered. Maybe they will chime in with what they used.
With both the sway bar links in position the links should keep the bar centered.
Energy suspension greasable sway bar bushings.

Attached Thumbnails ipd sway bars-sway-bar-bushing-energy-greasable-9.5157r.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 PM

yes the sway bar bushing is new and l noticed that the stock sway bar didnt move.it was very much centered and never moved. after installing the endlinks, installing back the tires and upon dropping my car from the jack l saw the sway bars move because of pressure.l think l will have to take it down again and take a close look.it has made my handling a little bit loose and less direct like it was.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There must be something else going on then as the IPD's are supposed to be really good. I haven't seen a post by anyone not liking them and for the money I think anyone having a problem would be pretty quick to complain.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slimflex2
hey guys l have a problem with my IPD sway bars and l need your help.l uninstalled both front end links and after taking them down my sway bars moved. l forgot to take a video of it but will do that later. it moved up and down and back and forth side ways.l torqued the bolts real hard but it kind of still moves.what do you guys think l did wrong?thank you
I'm still waiting for promised vid or at least a pic or two; can't figure out what the heck you're talking about??

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM

yea l am on it.will be jacking up the car soon to take a video of it.thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IPD sway bars float inside the silicone bushings. OEM sway bars are molded into the rubber bushings. If you just look at the sway bar you can see that there isn't anything preventing sway bar being able to move up and down when you don't have the sway bar links attached to it. It's 100% normal.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM

is this normal or something needs fixing.here is a video of it.thank you

ipd sway bars - YouTube

Old 07-18-2012, 11:05 AM

First off. Im going to assume the reason you don't have the top of the end link bolted in, is to show the play. Beyond that my only hypothesis, would be that you may have the incorrect size bushing. Did you buy this new from IPD? If not where did you get the bushing, and did you make sure it's the correct inner diameter to match the sway bar? You're certainly not lacking grease. I could deep fry a turkey with what you have left over. (I'm just kidding you) If the bushing diameter matches the bars diameter, it looks like your good. But given, that your mentioning looseness in handling. The bushing diameter is the only thing I can see in the video that may be causing this.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 AM

thanks brother.l did remove both endlinks and it had that play.l got the whole set of sway bars from IPD and it came with the original bushings.l want to know if there would be a play like that with the endlinks removed.is that normal?thank you

Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Then yes that is normal movement when the links are not attached. Your able to manipulate with ease, because the end links are really what gives it it's rigidity. Plus you have a ton of grease on that thing. (it's fine though, you don't have to worry) just make sure the brackets, and end links are torqued down. As to your suspension feeling different. It may just be the psychological. And you just need to get used to the new set up. What is the condition of the bushings on the end links? Also, I'm getting that package out to you today, so you should get it by Saturday.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 PM

thanks brother.l was a little bit confused because the stock sway bar didnt move when l uninstalled the endlinks.now l understand how it works now.the endli ks are ipds endlinks and its about a year old.still in good shape.thanks for the package