Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ipd's Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipd's Short Ram Intake

Hey guys. Why can't you use ipd's short ram intake on a non-turbo 850?

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...=143&V_ID=8515

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

because the routing for the intake hoses on a N/A is completely different than the intake hose routing on a turbo. The N/A goes straight from the airbox to the throttle body, and the turbo model goes behind the engine and down to the turbo.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 PM

So my car, which is N/A, does go straight to the throttle body... but i've also got the hose along the back... a silver hose... but taking a look at the airbox... it doesn't look like it's open to that side?

Old 08-01-2010, 01:10 AM

Turbo intake routing

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0005_large.jpg

N/A intake routing.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0009_large.jpg

if you look, you can see the black corrugated hose runs straight from the airbox into the throttle body, whereas on the turbo, the hose that goes to the throttle body comes out of the intercooler, around the throttle cable cover, and into the throttle body. The hose that comes out of the airbox on the turbo goes towards the back of the motor, kinda under the area between the top motor mount and brake resevoir.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorpics/2276128656/

this gives a little bit better picture of the N/A airbox. You can see that the hoses go in completely different directions.

Not sure what silver hose you are talking about. If it's the one on the front of the airbox, it's probabably the air pump hose.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 AM

Use to have a N/A 850 it's an exhaust hose for warming the car faster... pretty sure

But you have to understand the difference between having a turbo and not right?
for much cheaper you can get a short ram filter elsewhere. check this out
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/200...tion-tutorial/

Old 08-01-2010, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by kockyhardrockr
Use to have a N/A 850 it's an exhaust hose for warming the car faster... pretty sure

But you have to understand the difference between having a turbo and not right?
for much cheaper you can get a short ram filter elsewhere. check this out
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/200...tion-tutorial/

Yeah, um....no way would i do that to any car i owned. I kinda like having my stuff LOOK decent as well as function.

That being said, a MUCH better way to do that would be to get one of those stick-on air scoops from pep boys, mount it on your hood, and cut a hole in the hood under the fake air duct, thus making it a REAL air duct. Probably better air flow and less risk of hydro locking, and probably about the same price.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

The N/A airbox has three connections....

1. From the hood scoop to the bottom of the airbox.

2. From the top of the airbox to the throttle body.

3. From the backside of the airbox, a silver tube that goes to the rear of the engine.

That silver tube is for warming the box?

I've seen guys who have a cone filter in their N/A cars... what do they do with the silver hose?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even worry about it, your not going to get any gains from that on an NA.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Not even gas mileage? Was thinking i'd still use the bottom half of the airbox and maybe do something creative.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by TacklaNHL
Not even gas mileage? Was thinking i'd still use the bottom half of the airbox and maybe do something creative.
It's all been done before. But the gains you will see will be minimal at best. Especially when all you are doing is a cone filter w/o anything else, even though there's really nothing else you could do. Just get a K&N panel filter for your box.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 AM

If your that enthusiastic, just get some sheet metal, cut and bend the ipd mold and you can put the hole where you intake needs it and put one of those cone filters on from k&n. some rubber seal. there you go. i would expect more sound is all though.

I'm determined to fashion myself the a counterfeit "Lumberjack" airbox, considering how stupidly cheap it looks for $189. You'll be seeing a write up, plus mine will definitely be better and cheaper. But don't ask me to make you one unless you want to pay fairly for my time

Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by kockyhardrockr
i would expect more sound is all though.
I don't know what kind of extra sounds your going to get on an NA.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
I don't know what kind of extra sounds your going to get on an NA.
just less dampering from the engine throttle body. use to have a scooby-do legacy, and someone had drilled the airbox, considerably louder from under the hood. annoying actually, i had to fix it. no offense gilber, it's his car, if he wants to do it. and an open airbox is definitely louder, N/A or turbo. I get your point though, its serves no purpose towards performance.

I think he just wants something that when 70% of people look under the hood are like "oooh and ahhh". It does look much nicer than the dirty black stock airbox.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM

Yea, that's more of what I was looking at... the visual appeal of seeing the cone filter. Plus, I just acquired a K&N cone on a modified piece of volvo tubing that has the MAF already on it... basically the least of work I'd need to do is remove the airbox and plug this in.

But i was thinking i'd try and keep the bottom half of the airbox... to route the fresh air from the front still, as well as retaining the silver hose that goes into the rear of the engine hooked up to the box.

I already have the flat K&N filter in the box... but this cone seems to have more surface area... which I thought would be better for my gas mileage and just overall, more air.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

If your going to do it, remove the box entirely. It looks unfinished when people leave the bottom of the box in, and pretty good when it's just the cone.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Yea, that's what I was thinking too... but I run into a couple of issues there...

1. What do I do with that silver tube coming from the bottom of the airbox to the back of the engine?

2. Is it ok to just leave the cone sitting there in the space where the airbox would be? Or should I fabricate some sort of shroud for it (like the IPD kit has?)... or would that shroud that they have work for me?

3. Either way I go... shroud or not... should I have some sort of "channel" for the fresh air to go to the cone (like it has with the stock airbox)? I mean, it's not really that great when it's just using the hot air around the engine cabin is it? (Or should I even be concerned? When I remove the current "channel", would that open space be sufficient since they car will be moving?)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:26 AM

for a cone filter, it wouldn't hurt to separate it from the rest of the engine in some fashion. I've seen cheap heat shields out of aluminum and garbage, or custom boxes. intake temperature is something to consider when its 80* already outside. a cold air intake would require a box to keep all the crap it sucks up out of the engine bay, they look pretty nasty though.

Chances of sucking water, and hydro-lock are as marginal as you driving through flood waters that would seep into the car, its almost 2 feet of vertical climb from the front spoiler, or if you do it from the grille its same as stock but bigger intake not really a risk for N/A

Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

FYI I have owned a 1995 850 N/A. Yes I modded it. Yes I modded the airbox. Take a look. Yes it is crude with no heat shield.

Without the shielding you'll get major heatsoak. You wont gain any performance to speak of. You will gain a little bit of sound from it, but that is about it. Better mileage, you'd be better off getting a K&N panel filter and slap it in the box and be done with it.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Yea, that's more of what I was looking at... the visual appeal of seeing the cone filter. Plus, I just acquired a K&N cone on a modified piece of volvo tubing that has the MAF already on it... basically the least of work I'd need to do is remove the airbox and plug this in.

But i was thinking i'd try and keep the bottom half of the airbox... to route the fresh air from the front still, as well as retaining the silver hose that goes into the rear of the engine hooked up to the box.

I already have the flat K&N filter in the box... but this cone seems to have more surface area... which I thought would be better for my gas mileage and just overall, more air.

The size of the filter isn't going to give you more air - at least, not in a noticeable quantity. Remember, the throttle is the limiting factor in the amount of air that comes into the engine. You could have a filter the size of Chuck Norris and it wouldn’t increase the amount of air passing through the throttle. The only way to markedly increase the amount of air going into the engine is to use a turbo or supercharger.

If you look at the install instructions for the IPD kit, you’ll see they provide a hole in the aluminum to reconnect the factory fresh air tube that’s mounted to the front of the car, and they provide a rubber gasket to fit up against the hood when it’s closed. This is a good way to prevent heatsoak. Keeping only the bottom half of the airbox will cause heatsoak.

If you’re going for performance increases, I think there’s other parts to spend your money on. If you’re going for the visual perks, this would be the thing to install. The look of it is nice, and the improved sound is throatier. The only thing you’ll have to do is get a heat shield in place with the cold air pipe installed to get the cold air to the filter, or your performance will suffer.

Quick Reply: ipd's Short Ram Intake