Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Just picked up my 850 GLT Wagon on Friday..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my 850 GLT Wagon on Friday..

Hi,

Finally after a week and a half I got to pick up my red 1995 850GLT wagon

Issues:

Radio was locked but code was written on top of radio - now works

Suspension shocks/struts sound pretty shot - expected this

Odometer is stopped at 185k so miles - not surprised

Check Engine light is on - figuring O2 sensor possibly

Driver side heated seat (NOT SIDE sorry) doesn't seem to work - don't know how to go about this one, might not be worth it

Rear plastic shrouding on liftgate door is totally loose which rattles like crazy - not a serious concern currently though it'd be nice if I could figure out how to get it to stay in tight so its stops rattlilng!

No idea on when timing belt was done last so that is first thing when it goes to shop that and Check Engine light checked out and fixed whatever it is.

Sunroof tries to open but is stuck or something heard this was common - what are my options

One last thing I almost forgot .. I have manual climate controls and the fan speed selector seems to be screwed up. It doesn't seem like 1,2 or 3 settings work but when I click it to 4 the fan starts blowing at what the highest speed should feel like.

Other than those things it runs smooth, feels tight and accurate in steering and straight. All dash lights and headlights work at night. Has new tires on it which for a used car with so many miles you usually get screwed on tires when you buy one.

If anyone can give me comments on the issues I am having that would be helpful.

Last edited by timer00; 02-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do don't buy Scan Tech parts for the suspension - you will be doing the job again within 6 months.

With a '95 you don't need to go to the shop to figure out what the check engine light is about. Pull the codes from port A-2 and post them back.

When I buy a car like you did with questions about when the timing belt was last changed I go ahead and buy a belt and slap it on as a "stay alive" measure straight away. At 140k they should have changed everything, belt, rollers, tensioner, and water pump. I was close to 140k on the last one I bought - with a broken odometer - so i just threw a belt on it and I will deal with the big job of making the correct repairs when it thaws out.

As far as the heat goes, do you have a manual climate unit or an electronic? The way to tell the difference is how the temp settings are marked. On the manual it is a series of graduated width red bars, on the electronic it is marked in degrees and the fan has an AUT setting. The systems are very different and the repairs are different.

I don't yet own a wagon but the tailgate rattle is a common problem from what I have read. I think there are fix kits on eBay everyday.

If your glove box opens replace the latch now and save yourself the grief of sawing it open after it breaks.

...Lee