Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Major Problems! Oil/coolant mix, splatter/leak!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:52 PM
GvG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 2.4 S60 petrol oil/coolent mix

Originally Posted by The Space Monkey
Background: Its my 1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo, I bought it used upstate Illinois. Drivin it everyday for about 6 years? The Catalytic Converter never got replaced, and latter burnt out my exhaust and turbo. I replaced all of that and had a happy Volvo. Not to long ago I lost my ability to step on it, well when i floor it, it seems to stutter? I just kept on driving it.

Problem: It generated a small coolant leek from the radiator, very small. Just filled it with fluids if needed (this is all in the last month-I planned to take it to my mechanic to fix the leak when i had the funds) Anyways Driving down the road steam starts coming out of the hood, about the time i find a good place to pull over it goes POOFFFF...HISSSSSS. I put it in neutral, shut the engine off and pull over. I open the hood holding my breath, whilst smelling burnt coolant. Though when the steam clears I find my engine bay covered in a Light Brown Sludge (Pictures Below) It smells like Antifreeze and looks like Antifreeze mixed with some Oil. The source was all from the exit hose on the radiator. In the middle of no where i was forced to drive it back home ( a good length trip accross town) I still had go power, and it didnt overheat at all.

Flickr Pics (read descriptions to): Flickr: TheSpaceMonkey9's Photostream

How did the coolant ever get mixed with oil also?? or is it coolant and oil?
Thanks for the Help, it is needed greatly!
Hi. This is my current problem. I took my volvo to the local dealer , with the problem that it does a late gear change at high revs and does not speed up as normal with my my foot flat on th accelerater floor.
After the test drive the mechanic opened the coolent resevoir and said my radiator need to be replace, gear oil changed and gear software must be upgraded becouse atf oil mixed with my coolent. Advise: HAVE YOUR GEAR OIL CHANGED EVERY 15000 TO 20000KM. Easy explenation is the oil becomes to thin , leaks through the seals and mix with the coolent. This can demage your gearbox.
Its now deu for 140000 service i think i"ll have it parked till i can affort this......
Lovely car with heavy maintenance.
2009 model 2.4 5cyl automatic, Its a lovely car i dont want to sell it neither can i affort it anymore .
GvG