Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.
View Poll Results: Acceptable?
Yes
0%
Yes, but keep a close watch!
0%
No, inspect engine components carefully.
100.00%
No, rebuild definitely necessary
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Metal shavings in oil filter - acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal shavings in oil filter - acceptable?

Dear Volvo Enthusiasts,

First, a little bit of background information. We bought a T-5R a while back. Doing some research during the purchasing process, I found out the car's owner #3 blew a rod bearing and sold the car with blown motor to owner #4. Owner #4 swapped the engine out for a replacement B5234T engine, but moved over (at least some of) the bolt-ons from the original engine, such as the turbo and exhaust manifold. Owner #4 sold the car to me, whilst trying to hide he swapped the engine. Eventually I found out that he swapped the engine, and subsequently got the opportunity to buy the car at a low price. The motor swap was done quite poorly (wrong bolts, not well torqued etc.), so we recently decided to pull the motor to clean/fix/renew everything around the engine. Since we have driven the T-5R only 10km before doing so, we also aim to inspect the state of the engine. We have done the following things thus far:

- Compression test: all cylinders between 12.3 and 12.7 bar.
- "Listen" to the engine: engine sounds perfectly healthy at idle and revving.
-Cut open oil filter.Here, we found some metal in the filter itself (see images). The larger shiny chunks are non-magnetic, thus appear to be some sort of aluminum (?). Moreover, there are some very small magnetic particles present.

My questions are regarding these metal particles.
- What do you guys think about this? Can one consider this 'normal' for older B5234T engines or should we be worried?
- What components are likely sources of these metallic particles?

Final note: since the previous owner moved over some bolt-ons, could these particles also come from the turbo for example? The turbo does rotate freely and does not have excessive play though.

Really curious what you guys think! I am having a hard time deciding to pull apart the engine considering the great compression and general sound of the engine.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Seger