Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Milky Engine Oil (yuck) Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky Engine Oil (yuck) Problem

Hi everyone, first off I'd like to say that I'm a rookie who'scome here several times with basic to not-so-basic questions, and have received excellent and prompt assistance every time.

That said, a week ago while routinely cheking my oil, I found the dipstick covered in milky-white globs. I feared I had a cracked head gasket and coolant was seeping in, but someone suggested I change the oil to see how bad the problem might be. When I did, the oil seemed fine, no traces of any white whatsoever, even as I watched it drain. The dipstick still had some white, so I repeatedly inserted and cleaned it until it came out dry, then addednew oil. I felt relieved, but a day after the oil change, I checked again and found more white globs on the dipstick exactly as before.

I checked the coolant and that seemed to be a normal color (I changed it about2 months ago). Is it possible that I do have a cracked head gasket, andthe white globsjust didn't show up when I changed the oil? Or is there some other possible explanation? Any help is much appreciated.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Milky Engine Oil (yuck) Problem

ORIGINAL: Roge
Hi everyone, first off I'd like to say that I'm a rookie who'scome here several times with basic to not-so-basic questions, and have received excellent and prompt assistance every time.

That said, a week ago while routinely cheking my oil, I found the dipstick covered in milky-white globs. I feared I had a cracked head gasket and coolant was seeping in, but someone suggested I change the oil to see how bad the problem might be. When I did, the oil seemed fine, no traces of any white whatsoever, even as I watched it drain. The dipstick still had some white, so I repeatedly inserted and cleaned it until it came out dry, then addednew oil. I felt relieved, but a day after the oil change, I checked again and found more white globs on the dipstick exactly as before.

I checked the coolant and that seemed to be a normal color (I changed it about2 months ago). Is it possible that I do have a cracked head gasket, andthe white globsjust didn't show up when I changed the oil? Or is there some other possible explanation? Any help is much appreciated.
Cleaning your dipstick wouldn't achieve much, as there is, quite likely, more 'milky' residue in the sump.

This may seem a silly question, but was the engine up to normal operating temperature when you changed the oil? Hot engines absorb small amounts of moisture (condensate) from the atmosphere when cooling down - but normally 'burn off' this moisture when hot. Is most of your driving short trips?

It appears you car is not using coolant, for, if it was, the oil would gradually emulsify (i.e. water and oil mixed together i.e. churned up, as the crankshaft is a giant egg-beater) into a grey frothy sludge.

However, by your description I don't think it is a head gasket or anything similar.

Why don't you take the vehicle on a nice long drive and see if that improves the situation?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to Volgrrr. It seems a common phenomenon on the 850. As long as the coolant level stays the same in the expansion reservoir, has no sign of oil/fueland the exhaust gas does not smell like coolant or is consistently white even after the engine has reached normal operating temp, it is most likely condensed moisture. Although this may not help this issue, try using full synthetic oil + OEM MANN filter next time you do the oil.

JPN

Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM

If you're really concerned that you've got a head gasket leak, have the system pressure tested, but if your coolant reservoir isn't showing any loss of coolant, this is probably just condensation, common from short trip driving. You may want to consider a product like auto-rx or seafoam to help clean out some of that sludge. You can go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for more information.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I too have the EXACT same problem. In fact I have had it for the last year.... milky oil on the dipstick but oil when drained is fine, no coolant loss AND I use synthetic oil with a Mann filter. Last oil change I did an engine flush to see if that would help. No dice, next day the dipstick was milky again. My son drives the car about 50 miles round trip 3-4 times a week on the highway.

I'm mystified, but not too worried.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:31 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm almost convinced that this is a conspiracy by milk companies.

.....[8D].

JPN

Old 03-15-2008, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

I'm almost convinced that this is a conspiracy by milk companies.

.....[8D].

JPN
Beware - milk has a use-by-date!

[sm=type.gif]

Old 03-15-2008, 10:06 PM

On the other hand, apparently milking cows is cruel according to PETA... if you could find a new source, you'd be rich!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Hmmmm[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 03-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody. I do use the car for a lot of shorter trips (about 12 miles one way)so will try taking some longer trips to see if this remedies the situation. I'm mostly just relieved to find that it's notthe head gasket!

Oh, and does anyone think there's a market for synthetic milk?