Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Is this misfiring? Is it something with the fuel injectors or spark plug? major problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this misfiring? Is it something with the fuel injectors or spark plug? major problem

This IS my first post here however I have been here several times for advice and general tips. I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time out to listen. Anyway.

I have a 95' 850 sedan with about 116k miles. The major problem is as follows:

Starts fine, but after about 10-30 minutes of driving (depending on the temperature outside) I have trouble with acceleration. First and foremost, when this does occur, pressing on the gas will lead to a DROP in RPM's and a sluggish feeling. This is accompanied by a slight turbulence - a "shaking", if you will. I can maintain speed very easily and minuscule acceleration is OK, too. As I said previously, the temperature does seem to be involved to some degree; the hotter it is and the longer the car has been running, the more common the problem. Some nights, I can practically floor the pedal without a hitch.

This problem first surfaced a long time ago as an "out-of-nowhere and one-time" thing (I accelerated into a turn and the car just rumbled). Then, when spring started and I began driving to and from school, this was expected to occur at least one day out of the week.

My first instinct was that this was due to a problem in the fuel system since this comes and goes. Then a friend of mine told me that it could be misfiring. To be honest, I have no idea what it is but it makes driving this car much more nerve recking.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Is this misfiring? Is it something with the fuel injectors or spark plug? major problem

Yes it sounds like it is misfiring. When was the last tune up with cap,rotor, and wires?

Old 08-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this misfiring? Is it something with the fuel injectors or spark plug? major problem

I was about to ask the same question.

I was at the shop last week and they had in a Neon[:'(] and the timing belt was just that, a belt. There werent any teeth left on it, just nubs,and we were wondering how the thing wasnt misfiring all over the place.

Cant find the photo but when I do I will post it so you can see where you dont want to be.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the Check Engine light on? If so, pull the codes to see what the car is doing. It definitely sounds like misfiring. I helped a friend with a similar problem years ago. It turned out the distributor cap had a few hairline cracks. When the car got warm it misfired as the high voltage from the coil jumped all over.