Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

My Expensive Habit

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Expensive Habit

Hey now, Hey now,

Here's the deal. I own a 1994 850 Estate that is very stock and have had the car for about a year and a half and to date I've needed to replace (grab a coffee, this might take a bit)

All four tail lights and one pass sideheadlight - about a grand[sm=boosign.gif]
Steering rack, steering lines, sway bar links, struts and mounts, shocks and mounts, blower motor, rotors and pads as well as emergency brake, front left drive shaft, engine mount and trans mount, front left caliper, a/c compressor, radiator andall four cheap all season tires for no b.s. WINTER TIRES, and last but not least,the entire engine for another with mid mileage.

The reason for the engine swap was I was at the shop on Nov. 16 to have the winter tires put on the car and heard what I thougt was a bearing squeal, but it was very hard to hear and, while alittle concerned, didn't think it was anything major [sm=jawdrop.gif], damn, was I wrong.

On the 17th I took mom out for lunch and after getting back into town, there was this squeal, and then nothing. water pump bearing seized causing the timing belt to break in turn causing all sorts of head /valve/piston damage [sm=smiley26.gif]

I was fairly sure as to what had just happened, but like all people, you hope for the very best [sm=smiley35.gif], but expect the very worst [sm=wtf.gif].

Believe me when I say that this is a great car, but all of this work is starting to really kill the wallet[sm=smiley18.gif], but I must say that if it had to happen, the engine blowing that is, at least it didn't go while I was on the highway.[sm=smiley32.gif]

I lucked out with the replacement as I was in need of an exhaust manifold and this engine had a new one. In fact, it appears that this engine had just been serviced (came from a car that was written off in a rear ender) by Volvo as there were new Volvo plugs, wires androtor.

With the "new to me" engine the shop is replacing the belt, water pump, all of the seals and anything else that needs to be and can be replaced before the engine is put into the car.

I'm currently looking for a remaned starter and a new coil, the one I currently have has a large amount of silicone keeping things in the right direction but that will not last long and a replacement is a must.[sm=smiley20.gif]

For now that's all as I have to head to te shop tomorrow to find out where the Brick is in the "back on the road" program and find out what the final tally is.[sm=icon_quiet.gif][sm=icon_flaming.gif]

I'll be back with more news real soon so,

LATER.[sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

Old 12-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Expensive Habit

lol, sounds like you've had a real journey with your 850.

You'll have better luck with the new motor

Old 12-26-2007, 04:03 PM

it seems like you need to find a junk yard my friend

that way it doesn't hurt your wallet, i picked up two tail lights for 25$ not a thing wrong with them

Old 12-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Ouch! I second the motion for a good junkyard for used parts. Good luck with the new motor. Have you tried erievovo.com for parts on line?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 AM

i guess i'm lucky though, i have a junk yard 5min away from my house with 4 850's two of which are my color

Old 01-24-2008, 04:04 AM

Well folks, it's around 0435hrs and and I thought I'd post an update on the Brick.

The car is ready to go but I have to come up with some cash for the parts []and I'll be able to get the Brick out of the shop and I'm so looking forward to driving as opposed to the shoe leather shuffle[:-].

It's been a long haul and I'm really glad that this chapter is coming to a close.

I do, however, have a question concerning the abs/tracs with the the Brick. While I don't believe that it is the unit itself but a sensor and I'm wondering whether or not there is a way to check this out without going to the dealer?

Can anyone suggest a cure for what ails?

There are times when the light (abs/tracs) will come on right after the car is in motion, but, other times I can travel for a bit of time, in one case I was able to travel for about 40km, with stops and turns, before the light will come on.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated so chime in and help me out as the snow just doesn't seem to want to stop coming down and after all the work that's been performed I'd really hate to be the guy spinning his wheels to get moving in the snow[:@] or worse slip and slide into the rubarb under full lock.

Thanks and read you soon.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By virtue of the fact that you called it an estate I'm going to assume that the car is European and the model years don't precisely line up with the North American versions. That said, you should have the old style ABS module that doesn't normally cause any problems. Read the codes from the on board diagnostic center port A-3. and post them back.

...Lee

Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Hey there Lee,

I apologize for the late response as I had forgotten[sm=outcold.gif] my password and had other things on my mind until a couple of days ago, but now I'm back with good news. [sm=happy046.gif]The starter arrived at the post office yesterday (Feb. 1-08), but as is usual, I got the door hanger saying that it wouldn't be availableuntil Sat. 2-08 after 1300hrs and of course I was there get it at one pm, got it home and it looks great.

Bought it on EBay for a song and have the usual one year warranty. and to top it off it got here faster than I thought it would [sm=smiley20.gif]

Sorry to disappoint youbut it isa North American car. 20 valve B5254 non turbo Estate , as it sounds better than wagon [:'(]. I'm kind of fussy like that.

Would you have a picture of the location of the port and pin, and if so could you post or send me an image? I'm going t spend some time looking here for ideas.

As you can tell, I'm still new to the Volvo and don't want to fry, break, disable or in general, screw anything up as I have just put too much money into this car to have to replace a computer or mess things up [sm=smiley21.gif] So any help would be cool. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Like I said, the starter is in and it will be going to work with me Sunday at midnight so that I can go straight to the shop Monday morning, after work, and with some luck they can put it on the car and I'll be able to drive the Brick home and no more winter boot shuffle[sm=wootwoot.gif] for me.

Anyways, I'm going to now spend some more time looking at the postings for brakes and abs and see what I can find. I'm also going to look for as many how to's so that I can start saving some cash here and there.

Look forward to all replies so please keep them coming.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Brick [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 AM

Would you have a picture of the location of the port and pin, and if so could you post or send me an image? I'm going t spend some time looking here for ideas.
It is right beside the windshield washer fluid filler, here is link with pictures.

http://volvospeed.com/CheckEngine.php

Best of luck,

...Lee

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM

Hey now Lee,

Thank you for the link [sm=smiley20.gif]to Bay 13. I'm coming up to speed [sm=gears.gif]fairly quickly and I'm now really looking forward to understanding more about my ride and the up keepas I'll be keeping this one for quite some time [sm=shades.gif]and I'm going to enjoy every moment.

The new starter is sitting close to the front door and I can't wait to have it put in. Can you tell I'm really tired of walking.

Back in a few and I'll keep taking pictures of all the good stuff and post them in the garage area once the car is officially on te road. Something about not having wheels [sm=smiley6.gif]is keeping me in the dumps [sm=boohoo.gif]

It has been since Nov. 17-07 that the ride has been down for the count [sm=smiley35.gif]and it has been one thing[sm=smiley6.gif] after another with the repair process that has just killed [sm=insomnia.gif]the savings so I'm realy, really looking forward to just getting back on the road [sm=smiley20.gif]and burning some dead dinosaurs.

Gotta check out Bay 13 now so back in a bit. Also looking for boots and lace's for the summer so I'll be all over the place today.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-03-2008, 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Quick Brick

I'm also going to look for as many how to's so that I can start saving some cash here and there.

Quick Brick [sm=icon_rock.gif]

If you go to Matthews Volvo site you will find a complete Volvo repair manual you can download with more information in it than you will ever need (but if you do - then get rid of the car).

I downloaded this manual and, over time, took the time to print it out so I now have allthe informationin an easy-to-readbook now. Ialso downloaded some of the really good posts from other Volvo forums that give easily to understand step-by-step instructions (accompanied bygood, clear, colour photos) and printed these out for further reference.

By doing thisI'm gradually building up a fairly comprehensive source of repair information. I also have a Haynes repair manual - but in my experienceit sometimes lets you downwhen you want moreinformation.

Goodluck!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM

[sm=devilgrin.gif]DOOOOOOUH,

Got to the shop with the starter this morning and as I thought, gotta wait until Tuesday to have it installed [sm=badbadbad.gif]as they're backed up with work. But as I always say, I expecy nothing until it happens.

All in all I don't mind as they also have a motor mount and a new battery to put in which means that I'll have trouble free starting [sm=smiley20.gif], no clunking under acceleration [sm=smiley20.gif], and the power to run the Pioneer DEH-3100 cd deck with aux. jack and the Acer Aspire 3100laptop, which is going to become the new incar navigation/video/dvd player and Skype phone[sm=wootwoot.gif]

While this might sound like a little much, I had a Pioneer AVIC-N1 in my '94 Acura Vigor GS and got a notice from Pioneer for a free flex cable replacement [sm=goodidea.gif]I thought until I sent it in for the replacement. They couldn't find it for the first month [sm=icon_quiet.gif]. Then they told me that while the cable was covered they found that the dvd drive wasn't working and it was going to cost $500 to replace it [sm=WTFsgign.gif]. Your freakin' kidding, right. [sm=nono.gif]

I asked them how long this was going to take them to replace it and was told a couple of weeks.[sm=nono.gif]S.O.A.B. [sm=smiley35.gif]. I was in no mood for this kind of crap as the drive was working, used the nav to find the distance to the repair shop in southern Ontario,when I removed the head unit and I bubbled wrapped the hell out of it after placing it in a nickel cadium bag, static protection, and sent it in a large box. so I'm thinking that the free cable replacement just a scam to screw me out of cash [sm=violent053.gif]

Anyways, I'm looking forward to, but not expecting, to get the Brick back tomorrow until I actually plant my butt in the drivers seat.

Wish me some good carma, get it Carma [sm=lame.gif]I know but hey.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks Volgrrr,

For the redirect to Mathews site as I have checked it out and this is one dedicated Volvo owner.

There is a wealth of information there and I'd like to thank all of you who have given me help and direction and I can't really thankall you enough.[sm=hail.gif][sm=happybounce.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif][sm=yeahsmile.gif]

As the weather gets better I'll be looking at some replacement headlights, those LEDs look great,that I found on EBay for the Brick. Cant afford them right now and I really need to find some wheels and tyres for the Brick as well as I don't want to wait until spring to be ready for the good weather.
Got's'ta get them boots for theBrick so's I can enjoy the ride[sm=happy046.gif].

For now though [sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Please don't take this personally, but I can not stand to read your posts because of all the silly characters you keep putting in them. I have not been able to read all the way through one yet, and quite frankly I just have been ignoring them.

If it's just me, I do appoligize, but I can not stand to have items moving on my screen. My daughter once sent me something where there was a little icon flashing in the lower right corner and I had to uninstall it cause I could not stand it.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Hey now JimKW,

The fun is over for them.As much as I have had my fun with them, that will be the last post with more than a couple of them. And I don't take it personally.

Good news though, I'm about to go and pick up the Brick, like right now (1210hrsEST), and will take pic's of the dirty bugger. Hasn't been washed since everything went to hell back in November and has been at the shop.

Again I apologize for all of the silly stuff and will keep them for the end. I was just having some fun, but too be honest with you I found them to be ok but I'll now keep them clean.

Thanks for the honesty, that above all, I appreciate.

Back in a bit.

Besides, these are the only two that I really like.

Later.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

I have to admit I had trouble writing that and not coming across as a complete a-hole.

Get that car cleaned and post some pictures.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 PM

Hey, hey, hey JimKW,

You're not and I appreciate the self deprecation. No need though.

Homie has his ride. Woohoo, and they even washed the car before I picked it up. SWEET.

Fear not about the last comment/post as I'm looking back on some of them and, sweet jeeze, man was I out of control or what. ;-]

Anyhoo, I have a wack'o'pics but have to hit the hay as I'm working the midnigt shift and should have been sleeping a long time ago, and was for about two hours, until the shop called and said that the car was ready. NO hope sleeping after that call.

I was up and out the freakin' door like the house was on fire and believe that this was the last time that I'd have to do the "Shoe Leather Shuffle" for quite some time. Jeeze man, if I could drive to the crapper, I would ;-]. That's how much I missed the Brick.

For now, I gotta get some sleep but "I'll Be Back" in the morning and figure out how to set up the garage, can't be too hard, andpost as many pic's as is allowed.

Later

Rich.

(Ok, three this time. But no more than that)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Please don't take this personally, but I can not stand to read your posts because of all the silly characters you keep putting in them. I have not been able to read all the way through one yet, and quite frankly I just have been ignoring them.

If it's just me, I do appoligize, but I can not stand to have items moving on my screen. My daughter once sent me something where there was a little icon flashing in the lower right corner and I had to uninstall it cause I could not stand it.
Aw come on JimKW. Don't let this minor thing upset you so much.

I'm guessing here, but Ithink it is a generational thing as young people these days prefer everything to haveplenty of colour and animation.Quick Brick may have overdone it slightly, but I think he is only showing his exhuberanceat finding such a good Volvo forum - and keep in mind he has done the right thing and apologised to you for his overuse ofanimated 'silly characters'.

If they're causing you such a problem - perhaps you should use your influence as a moderator to have some, or all,of these 'silly characters'removed.

Personally I don't mind these 'silly characters' and I'm very tempted to stickone in this post however, just for your sake ,I wont.

Cheers
Brian

Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Thanks Brian for the support.

[sm=imsorry.gif]I was getting a bit out of hand , but I was havinga lotfun[sm=signs007.gif] .

I put just a couple of pic's up so far and will get to more soon. I'll even put one up of the abs sensor/tone ring that fell off during the axle change.

Rich.

"The very young rarely do as they are told" Stargate SG1

Then again, I ain't that young and do as I please [sm=lildevil.gif]

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Rich

Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

No way was I all that upset and no way would I try to stop them from being used altogether. So there.

[:@][][:-][&o][X(][>:][&:]

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: My Expensive Habit