Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 850 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/)
-   -   My Expensive Habit (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/my-expensive-habit-16226/)

JPN 02-06-2008 09:49 AM

RE: My Expensive Habit

Jim, what happened to you[sm=sick.gif]?

JPN

Quick Brick 02-06-2008 09:15 PM

Hey now all :),

First full day with the Brick and of course it's started to snow but I, got new snows so no worries[sm=smiley20.gif],don't have to walk, and that's a greatest thing of all. Man, does this car have a fantastic heater. (insert toasty warm smiley face here)

On another note, after all of the work that has been done to the Brick, I still have a couple, three lights onthe dash and just wonder what will need to be done next. [sm=smiley24.gif]

The service light comes on, goes out fairly quickly, but the abs, above the service light (bottom right of dash cluster), is on as well as the check engine (upside down v sort of looking thing) to the left of the service lightand the tracs lightto the left of that are on. [sm=smiley26.gif]

Question - How do I insert a photo into this post? I click the "add image" button and it seems to ask me for what I can best describe as a web site connection, if that makes any sense? [sm=smiley29.gif]I have it saved in "My Pictures" but how do I get it from there to here?

What am I doing wrong? I would like to drop a picture of the dash lights but I'm having difficulty.[sm=helpout.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Rich

JPN 02-06-2008 10:02 PM

SRI: See attached pics.
ABS: http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a3.html
If you get multiple codes the ECU may be shot. For '94 models, the ECU may have to be replaced with a new/known good usedunit or has to be repaired by yourself at your own risk.
CEL/MIL: See attached pics & http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a2.html

Good luck to you.

JPN

All smileys have been deleted, RIP.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/C8E54BDD09D4461DA780D4E68D140D90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/B5E65975F3044131B29A664761B1FACC.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/BC299BDCCBCE4155AEFC1E16722D523A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/37516CB33A5648FDA3EB6C5867F2A214.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/6A5D995FB3704F05B01D7F291DBD9037.jpg[/IMG]

JPN 02-06-2008 10:05 PM

Damn, I'm annoyed with my own post above[8D].

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/AB82FBD1F293416E92FDE0C52F0C8045.jpg[/IMG]

JimKW 02-07-2008 07:13 AM

I will never open this thread again.

Quick Brick 02-07-2008 08:03 AM

Hey now JimKW,

Why?

Rich

Volgrrr 02-08-2008 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

No way was I all that upset and no way would I try to stop them from being used altogether. :) So there.

:D[:@][:o][:-][&o]:eek:[X(][>:]:(:([&:]

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Good on ya JimKW.

Damn - jist wish I knew how toget an Australian flag into this thread.

Volgrrr 02-08-2008 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

I will never open this thread again.
That's alright - just make sure you have anocassional peek then.

Don't let JPN get under your guard.[sm=kissykissy.gif]

Quick Brick 02-14-2008 01:42 PM

Hey now Volgrrr,

Never a problem.Just happy to be in the drivers seat.

I have to replace the seat heater as it has stopped warmingmy buns, and while it's not that bad, it isn't that good either.

Milage isn't that bad to date but I still have a check engine light on and have yet to have a warm enough day to spend the time under the hood without terminal frostbite. :)

While I'm under there I'll preform the abs check and change the cabin filter as well. [:-]

Back soon with some more info on the Brick when I start looking for tires, which isn't that far off. Spring is just aroung the corner, thank you very much:) , and I would rather spend as little time as possible driving on the winter rubber.

What might be the best size or what is the max size rim that you could safely put on a Volvo with the stock springs and shocks? I'm looking for a comfortable ride with a proper sport and not low profile, rim rocker, tires that look cool and really don't perform.

Back with some wheel cool (get :)it)ideas in a few.

Quick Brick 02-26-2008 08:06 PM

Hey now all,

The Brick is doing well but I'm fairly certain that I have an exhaust leak at the manifold flang. Not a big problem but a little bit noisy.

Would anyone be able to tell me, or direct me to a site on, how to revmoe and replace the cigarette lighter socket?

The current one is a bit ratty and corroded.

I've received my Garmin for the laptop and the four gig of ram, this thing is so fast now, and I'm waiting for the laptop mount for the car and then it's full Navi, dvd and music for theBrick but will need to keep the laptop charged. Can't be running out of tunes.

If you can help with a "how to" or a "D.I.Y" I wold really appreciate the help.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif].

Later.

hockey2 02-26-2008 09:20 PM

My Garmin GPS will not work in the cigarette lighter either. The lighter works, I just can't get the GPS to fit in correctly to get a charge.

Quick Brick 03-02-2008 12:55 AM

Hey now all,

Thanks for your input and help with all ofmy questions.

I have replaced the fuse but still don't have power to the lighter socket. I plugged in the lighter only to find that I will probably have to replace the socket as it has corrosion, or some other crap, and need to find a "how to" as the laptop mount has arrived and is in the car and I'm going to need power for the laptop. SWEET [sm=badbadbad.gif]Heh,Heh,Heh,Heh.

The screen isnice to look at and is easy to read with the Navi map upand running. And it is also a nice deal that I now have ALL of my tunes in the car. I guess that I'm now going to have to set up a number of different playlists so that I won't have to hunt of a change of mood. Or I can just set it to random play and never hear the same song twice for the next 186 hrs.

Alright, enough about the entertainment, now down to codes.

I followed the procedure for pulling the codes{Thank you Bay 13}and this is what I have and please don't tell me that I now have to shoot the car because the bills are going to be stratospheric.:(

A3

3-2-1 = Left/front sporadic over 25mph.
2-1-1 = No left/front wheel signal on moving off.
1-4-1 = Pedal signal faulty - shorted to ground.
1-4-2 = Stop lamp switch faulty.
2-2-1 = Front/left ABS signal missing.
1-2-1 = Left/front faulty signal or vehicle under 25mph.

A2

1-1-1 = No Stored Fault Codes. Yaaa.:)

A1

1-2-2 = Short to ground S1 or module fault.
1-1-2 = Short circuit solenoid S1.
1-3-1 = Solenoid STH open/short to ground.

Now for those of you in the know, what might these be pointing to?

I had the original front left drive shaft replaced not long after I bought the car as this when the ABS issue began, I wonder how that works:eek:, and found to my surprise that when the shop hoisted the car up the tone ring was rusted and had moved outwards toward the wheel.

This sucked as the car is supposed to have ABS/Tracs. I'd really like them to work but, if this is now going to cost three arms and a leg, I'll live with the standard brakes untill I can realistically afford to get all of this fixed.

Can some one help me with some of these codes?

Looking at the faults the A1's I wasn't aware of and I'm wondering what this is giong to cost. I thought that while I was under the hood I'd check them all but wasn't really expecting all to be well, I mean, I just finished replacing the engine.[sm=icon_quiet.gif]

There's that law don't forget - What Can, Will, When You Don't Need It To[:@]

I really need help here. Is the tranny about to fall out or something?

Later.

Kwackers T5 03-02-2008 03:54 AM

Hey Quick Brick,

Just reading your thread & man you've had a bit of bad luck with the Brick. [sm=jawdrop.gif] On the positive side of thinking now there can't be much left to go wrong can there??

Changing the subject slightly, I like your overuse of smileys:D

Best of luck with the Brick dude [sm=signs003.gif]

Kwackers T5. England.

JPN 03-02-2008 08:29 AM

I would first clear codes and check on the fluid level & condition. Then, with negative battery cable removed (you'll have to reset radio & make the ECU re-learn idle) and after having waited for 10-15 min., I would clean electrical connectors & tranny ECU (TCM: Transmission Control Module) with a can of contact cleaning spray. If this does not solve, refer to testing procedures. In some cases the solenoids seem to fail but if the tranny is operating smoothly, the codes might have been triggered for some trivial reasons.

FYI for solenoids:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850tranny.htm

Let us know your findings, if you would.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/CB256C902E9B4042A90E4AE20F9B06E5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/284BC91B25934764944864C58777F6C4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/B84A5F521C2E4A139A2E6EFE69E367AE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/9B528AB343C24CF8889CB91F0EC1857C.jpg[/IMG]

JPN 03-02-2008 08:30 AM

The last page.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/DF6DB3001D0941E7A14F3E2E86DF2FCC.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Brick 03-05-2008 10:28 AM

Hey now all,

Thanks for the information.

I checked the codes again to make sure that I had them correct and then I cleared them.

As soon as I started the car the C/E, the little upside down V and the ABS light came on. The ABS light went out for a bit after I put the Brick in gearbut then came on just after taking off from my first full stop. About four full seconds after.

It's snowing fairly heavy right now and I do want to try the diagnostic tests. I don't have a Volvo scanner but it looks like I can perform the seperate tests using the test port.

I'm going to definatly read the procedures again because I would really like to solve these problems as cost effectivly as possible.It's just too bad that this has to be an issue at all, let alone in the winter.

Back after the testing, hopefully on the weekend, and I'll post the results and probally have more questions.

Later.

Quick Brick 04-03-2008 12:19 AM

Hey now, hey now,

It's been a while since I've topped up the post and I tried the tests again and broughtmy notes to the shop where I havethe Brick serviced and after them telling me, with a :), the tests really can't tell them anything, he proceeded toread the codestold me that I need a front left sensor and a brake switch. This will most likely take care of the A3 codes.

He then asked me if I was having any issues with the transmission not shfting properly due to the A1 codes. I told him that I wasn't and that the car is in the Sport setting, I like the way the car performs :Dbut should probally have it in Econo around town,and when I hit thehighway and put the pedal down it kicks down andstuff get passed[sm=badbadbad.gif].

I'm wondering first of all, whether or not this could be something that might be taken care of with a trans fluid change or are they strictly electrically activated?

On a different note. I found a scrap yard near by with an old 740 and grabbed the lighter socket andI have removed my cigarette lightersocket as it's fairly corroded and have found that they are different.They both seem simply put together. Basically just screwed together and the basic parts look the same, just a little different setup.

I have pulled a bonehead though and in an effort to just take apart the new, but different, one and replace the inards in the socket that came out of my car I didn't take a picture of my socket before I disassembled it.[:@]

I have put it back together and I'm wondering whether or not someone else has done this?If you have, you can tell me if I reassembled it

I'll get the cameraand post a pic of it and someone who has done this can tell me if I put it back together correctly.

Later.

JPN 04-03-2008 07:29 AM

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]and [sm=icon_rock.gif].

JPN

Quick Brick 06-29-2009 09:53 PM

Sorry about that guy's,

I finally did reassemble the lighter and it works fine.

For those of you who have followed along with all of the different posts that I have made, and replied to, the theme has bee the same. FIX MY BRICK.

Well I think that I've solved a couple of the problems that have been the bane of my ride.

Long story short, the PNP switch has finally gone the way of the dead. And to add to that my fuel pump has finally gotten so bad, it would work and then it wouldn't and then it would work - AGAIN -, that I've been afraid to go to far from town for fear of the cost of a tow back from Ottawa or some other place.

This is what has caused The Anvil to be hard to start, PNP, and the intermittant to regular stalling, fuel pump, which has been nothing but a real pain and not to mention dangerous when in traffic.

Both will be replaced tomorrow and I should have The Anvil back for Canada Day and I'm looking forward to that.

I'll chime in when I have at least 100klm on the clock, without a bad start and no stalling, and I'll keep this post up to date a little better.

There really isn't much that I'd need to do to the car to bring it back to where I'd really like it more than I do already.

The List:

Repair drivers seat heater .
Replace heater core.
Replace stop lamp switch
Replace cruise switch at brake pedal - snapped it out of place.
Work on A/C for better defrosting in winter and summer air would be nice.

Thanks again for your help here and in other posts.