Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need Advice, Please

Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Advice, Please

About 18 months ago we bought a 94 850 for use by a new driver. We paid in the neighborhood of $2500 for it and have now sunk approximately $3500 more in on repairs. Every time something goes wrong we fix it and say "Well that should be it for awhile" and then something else goes wrong. Most recently, around April of this year, we put four new tires on it and got brand new brakes and other stuff to the tune of $1500.

The car is now randomly stopping while in motion. Last time I allowed it to be driven it stopped on a 60 mile per hour highway in our area. It basically is driving along one minute and then suddenly all the dash lights flash on and the car just shuts off and has to be drifted to a stop on the shoulder. Scary. Once you wait for about 20-30 seconds it turns over again and you're on your way.

Now I could take this car back to the shop and I'm sure they could fix it but at some point I have to say "enough is enough". I no longer have any confidence that this poor vehicle is going to do anything other than drain our checkbook every few months. I feel really sad about it because our kid loves the car and so do I but I can't afford to throw good money after bad. Can anyone on this board give me some advice? If I sell it how much should I hold out for? I realize I'll never recoup anything close to what has been put into it which is a real bummer. It's also what's kept us repairing it each time thinking that surely THIS should hold us for more than a few months. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Yineyes

Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM

does it ever have any issue starting?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles are on it?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Once it stalls out if you wait 20-30 seconds it starts right up. Likewise if it's been off for any length of time it starts up no problem. The mileage is around 189K.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

It is that time when it's going to need a major tune up if it hasn't been properly maintained. And unfortunately with that many miles, you obviously wouldn't get your money back. I would try to pinpoint the problem and fix it, because once you do get all the bugs out, it will last many many more miles. Are you doing the repairs yourself or taking the car somewhere to be done?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:34 PM

It got a major tune-up within the last 7-8 months and we're not doing the work ourselves. We take it to a local garage, which I hate to have to do just because I don't like to not know if what they're telling me is actually true. It just seems like we've put so much money into this vehicle and it still keeps coming up with new repairs. Could we have gotten a lemon? Having never owned a Volvo before I just don't have any frame of reference for how reliable or quirky they are in repair histories. Is the vehicle make just a high-maintenance hothouse flower when it comes to the long haul? Also, my husband reminded me that it's been more than $3500 in repairs since we purchased it for $2500.

I should also add that another thing that makes it so tough to get rid of is that the car looks great both inside and out.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Well I have the same model as you do, I don't know if yours is turbo or not, but it currently has 214,000 miles on it. I just got done doing a major tune up and within the last year have replaced probably half of the engine, I'm not sure what the total cost of it has been because I do it myself, so I'm not paying for someone to do it. But if you can find out what this one little issue is, you could be all set for a very long time and many more miles. Wait for the experts to get on, and the problem your having could be simple. I can tell you though, if you fix this, and with regular maintenance, that car could last as long as you want it to.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:53 PM

OK, gilber and thanks for your answers. I'd like to keep the faith with this car because we love it so much, I just don't want to go broke doing so. Are there Volvo experts that log onto the forum at a certain time? Is that what you mean when you say wait for the experts? I appreciate your input!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Yeah, usually in the evenings, there are a few guys on here that are very knowledgeable when it comes to these cars.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 PM

best word of advice, stop taking it to the same garage. not saying that they are, but they might be creating job security for them selfs if you know what i mean....

with it randomly cutting out sounds like a fuel pump, or a pump relay or something. start by changing the fuel filter (its a do it ur self job, we can help you through it if you would like.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 PM

hey, i'd check the fuel pump relay as it seems that these things tend to breakdown in the summer heat. Is it dieing on you after its fully heated, during daytime. This past weekend i was having issues with mine, where i was stopping in construction on I-64 and it would drop to about 500 rpm's then climb, and no matter what i did with the gas, it would have to recover itself. While you have spent tons on the car, the relay will only set you back about 40-50, though make sure you get the right one for your car, as they are not usually returnable...