Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need help with a leak and a bit of smoke please !

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need help with a leak and a bit of smoke please !

Hi I own a 1997 Volvo 850 R . Still purrs like a kitten and drives very good with it's 265000 miles / 427000 KM I was just wondering about a small problem... yesterday when I started the car and was looking under the hood to inspect for basic visual maintenance I spotted some smoke near the battery. I looked closer and noticed that it came from a small ''hose''. It smells a bit like... hmm hard to say maybe coolant or oil. But my coolant tank and liquid in it is A1 everything clear. I decided to push on the gas pedal a bit without exaggeration. It still smoked a bit but stopped. after idling a couple of minutes it started again to smoke. Not a big smoke but annoying. Could it maybe be an oil coolant leak ? I don't know. I'm not really a big mechanic just know a few basics. BTW My dash signals no check engines or whatever it is clear of any lights.

Also, I have 2 hours of driving to do. Could it be dangerous ? Should I get that fixed first ? Maybe I can do it myself ?

Thanks !!

Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

to the forum Ice Raven

Any chance the hose is supposed to go over by the turbo on it's intake side at the PTC ?? Where does the hose come from on the engine ??

Old 02-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
to the forum Ice Raven

Any chance the hose is supposed to go over by the turbo on it's intake side at the PTC ?? Where does the hose come from on the engine ??
Hey Thanks ! Hmmm it might be from the turbo. ( sorry i'am not really tech savy when it comes to mechanics ) but the turbo goes good and has a nice sound and the engine also. I got a pic on google and made an arrow to point to where the ''hose'' is roughly ( sorry had no time to go and take a pic of it and it is dark a bit today so I guessed that finding a pic would be better and clearer a bit )

But it seems not to leak on the ground so I guess that it is good news

Thanks !

Attached Thumbnails Need help with a leak and a bit of smoke please !-volvo.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 03:40 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That might be the line that runs from the PCV "black box" on the front of the engine, middle under the intake over to the PTC valve in the intake just in front of the turbo. It's supposed to pull gasses from the engines crankcase out the black box and into the intake to be burned.

I'm just guessing, you need to follow the hose and tell us where it starts and where it ends.

Attached Thumbnails Need help with a leak and a bit of smoke please !-vacuum-hose-routing-ptc.jpg  
Old 02-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
That might be the line that runs from the PCV "black box" on the front of the engine, middle under the intake over to the PTC valve in the intake just in front of the turbo. It's supposed to pull gasses from the engines crankcase out the black box and into the intake to be burned.

I'm just guessing, you need to follow the hose and tell us where it starts and where it ends.

Yeah exactly! it's a kind of black metal ''box'' under or pretty much under the air filter box written Turbo on it. I will follow the hose more tomorrow because my car is outside and it is pitch black here and it is winter :| Thanks for your reply !!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

If that's what it is, then smoke should be coming out of it. That's the thinking. When it's hooked up to the pipe from the air cleaner to the turbo, the smoke gets sucked into the engine and burned up. Cause that's how everybody likes it.