Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Need some trans. removal tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some trans. removal tips

I really need to get the r.m.s. replaced soon because it is leaking way to bad. Since I am to poor to have a shop do it, I am going to do it.

I need some tips to help make things easier on me. I really need to know a way to support the engine while sub-frame is disconnected. I understand the best way would probably be an engine hoist, but I don't have one. If possible, I would like to make something out of a 4 x 4 post or something like that. If someone has done something similar, I would really appreciate you telling me how you did it.

Also just need to know what type of tools will make things easier. I have all the basic hand tools and an air compressor. I don't have many air tools, but I know someone I can borrow just about any type of air tool from, as well as just about any other hand tools. I have a feeling just using hand tools will make things much harder.

How high should the car be in the air to make this easy? This will be done with a jack and jack stands.

Any other tips would be very helpful. I do have the haynes manual, so that pretty much tells me what needs to be removed.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tools wise you'll need all metric and hex. I know you can drop the transmission out from the bottom of the car, I don't know how high you would need the car though. Most people pull the engine to work on the transmission, if you do that, I would recommend renting a hoist or something, I don't know about a 4x4.