Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New 850 Owner Just Arrived

Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 850 Owner Just Arrived

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 94 850 Turbo sedan. It had 120K miles (confirmed in the computer) and the body and interior are in real nice shape. Only a couple of small dents that are really hard to see and other then the tan carpet sun fading a little pink the interior is perfect with no rips. It does have a few issues that I'm working through to get to stage 0. I have already done the Timing Belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump. Car is running really good except for a few things. It has a lot of oil leak. I'm guessing that at some point the PCV system failed completely because it leaks from everywhere. Yes it leaks lightly from the front crank seal and a lot from the rear main. That's going to be a suck job but I will replace every seal and the complete PCV system and all of the vacuum hoses when I pull the engine. Right now it only barely inflates a glove but that could be because of all of the other places to release pressure through oil leaks

Now for the weird problem. I can't turn off the A/C. The A/C works great. Nice and cold and all of the controls seem to be working correctly inside. The temp ***** change the temp. The **** that adjusts where the air comes out of works and directs the air to the correct location and the A/C on and off button switches and lights the little light. But when I have all of the settings pointing to 0 the A/C compressor still cycles and cold air comes out of the vents unless I move the temp **** to hot. It is still really too cool to deal with A/C up here in Colorado it's only in the 50's and 60's at best right now so it's hard to do too much A/C testing.

I look forward to working on my Volvo and helping others as much as I can. Thanks for having a great site.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi there! They leak sometimes from the oil cooler lines (they ooze) and the cam seals have a tendency to walk all the way out. They are easy to get at, of course. Even if those things weren't true, you'd want to do that PCV overhaul.

The PCV system never sees any vacuum, so it really can't do much for oil leaks. It'll never really have any suction.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

check out volvotips.com for some ideas on how to diagnose the HVAC. The nice thing about the 94/95s is that you can use the ODB1 LED reader to find any codes.