Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Catch Can (make your PCV system more efficient)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But I don't think there isn't anything in there that can open or close to allow or block flow. I've had it off several times and I don't see anything like that in there.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is some more in-depth info on PCV/ Oil Separators / Catch Cans.... http://peugeotforum.dk/images/Oilbre...er_systems.pdf

Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 PM

Now that you got the new tune, and running increased boost, PCV is even more critical. Besides this, I gotta think that the cone air filter changes some values. Which ones I don't know. While OEM airbox was more restricting, PCV system was designed with that intake pressure. Maybe another port need to be opened (valve cover?) for better exhaling.

If you vent into the atmosphere, it might be a very bad smell, but that's not the only issue. The other issue is that atmospheric pressure is what it is (usually constant), while these intakes were designed with a different (variable) pressure.

You could vent into the exhaust (post-cat), but that needs to be looked at.

All of this need to be figured out so you don't blow a seal, run out of oil and trash the engine. It wouldn't be the end of the world, maybe you can get better/upgrades internals and go north of 20 psi boost??? Interesting....

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 PM

How are the emissions inspections in Wisconsin? If they are tough like CA or even NJ, you need to be very careful. In NYC it's the wild-wild west, not many rules...

Old 03-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should check some of the cars on VS. My car compared to quite a few there is extremely tame. As far as I know of, the cone filter does not effect anything regarding the PCV/CC install, it has never been mentioned. Quite a few high boost cars vent to atmosphere and the pressure of the intake has also never been mentioned as something to consider while doing this.

There are a couple cars that have tapped into the cam cover (most using the oil filler cap) as a second source of vent to remove excessive crank case pressure and routed it to the catch can.

I don't see how routing it to the exhaust would be beneficial. Especially if there's a possibility of blow by making its way down there, then your burning vapor/oil in the exhaust. Do not want.

Also, I still have a ways to go before I worry about blowing out seals. I am not running nearly aggressively enough to worry about that, especially compared to other cars on the board.

If I had about 3 grand to drop on building my block, I would, but that is out of the question right now.

In Wisconsin, if your car is like more than 14 yo you don't have to do emissions. But when I do have to do emissions, I just need to add a cat, otherwise, I don't have anything else that would effect it. A catch can won't effect emissions if you simply just have it spliced into the PCV system like I do and how most of them are, it's there to catch blow by and allow the usage of larger hoses for a better flow.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 AM

I did some reading on VS and Turbobricks http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=179070.

Venting of the blow-by gases in only part of the equation -- the other part is maintaining a certain pressure differential between crankcase and intake. In practical terms this is more important than anything else.

BTW: for those with catch-cans smogging your cars in California -- check out the post where the guy with catch-can fails the smogg and gets warned of being impounded.

I am interested about this too, since I also plan to do something about the PCV in my NA V90. Matters are more senstive though in turbo cars.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by gilber33
You should check some of the cars on VS. My car compared to quite a few there is extremely tame.
According to Volvo gurus, you are running the most effective system, which is stock supplemented by CC. Mind you, the double catch-can might (like Stealthfiti's) be in fact most advantageous (maybe).