Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

The more I learn, the more questions I have (pcv, turbo, airbox)

Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The more I learn, the more questions I have (pcv, turbo, airbox)

Sorry for the massive amounts of posts. I am in project mode, and have the spare time to work on my car.

I bought a 1995 Volvo 850 turbo used a few days ago knowing most of the problems would be cleared up with a good tune up, and some just general TLC. Honestly looked fairly good during two different long test drives (20 miles or more with highway speeds), and a fairly through visual inspection. I knew off the bat about an EGR code, mass air, and just simple misfire codes coming back. It really did drive fairly well. However at this point it seems like 1 step forward and two steps back. Let me run you through what I have done up until this point.

First thing was an EGR code, I went ahead and pulled it, cleaned it, and got some low end torque back.. from what I could tell. That was the first time I really got to see how dirty the system was. From what I hear it is not too uncommon to have a crusty EGR valve, or even a caked carbon in the hole to the intake manifold. I chalked it up to regular EGR problems.

I still had a misfire under load, 1 and 4 codes coming up. I waited for the parts to come in, then did a simple tune up. I went ahead and changed the oil, and switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. For whatever reason I didn't notice the white smoke when I pulled the dipstick before I bought the car. More and more it was starting to look like the previous owner ether didn't know much about cars, or just didn't care.

Last night I did plugs, wires, air filter, cap, and rotter. A few of the plugs simply didn't have electrodes, but at least the color was good. Some of the aluminum had oxidation, and had to be blasted out. Did that, and got my full RPM range without a misfire. But now I am getting just one strong buck at full boost, near 6,000 RPM at full throttle only.

The question.
Could that buck be yet another PCV related ailment?

Next question is here. When I pulled the air filter I noticed that the airbox had a inlet for the crankcase ventilation on top of it. Is that right on a 1995 850 turbo?

For the time being as I can't seem to find the answer in my Haynes. I plugged up the open inlet to keep out unfiltered air. I felt just stupid for missing that when I was looking at the car.
I see that the Mass Air sensor had been replaced recently. I am thinking they may have simply left the newer sensor on a different airbox top. From what I can tell I am not missing any tubing from anyplace on the crank case.

Found oil on my valve cover during the plug and wire replacement.. At this point it started to make even more sense. More evidence to a shot PCV. I went ahead and pulled and cleaned the PTC valve today while I wait for more parts in the mail. The intake was just FILTHY. I did my best to clean all the hoses. I know that open inlet didn't help...or, more likely, is the culprit behind the problem.

Next Question.
The turbo seems fairly healthy from what I can tell. Looks to boost normally. It only whistles quietly when spooling passed 2,000 RPMs. Silent at idle. It dose not have a significantly higher pitch than other turbos I have heard. Seeing that my air intake was unfiltered for a period of time, is there any method to clean my turbo to insure the dirt and grime don't kill it in the near future?

Question four.
What would you recommend to clean out the system after having the airbox essentially open?

After I pulled and cleaned the PTC I noticed less white smoke out of the dipstick. I don't have any colored smoke at all from the exhaust. It is still clear I am going to have to do more work to get it 100%

I still am having PCV related problems I would assume.

Last question.
I have really been spending quite a bit on this car. Given the information here, is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

I would be happy to answer ant questions if I didn't describe the issues properly.

Thanks a bunch! So far this forum has been amazingly helpful.

-Jeff

Last edited by Media; 03-12-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Question #1 - The Buck: It would be interesting to see that your boost is at because that sounds like your hitting fuel cut off. Its an abrupt kill of the engine for a second. Like its falling on its face.

Question #2 - Air Box: Some 1998 models had a Secondary Air System (SAS) used to reduce emissions. I suspect you are correct, its from a later car. Make sure its capped, its on the clean air side of the airbox.

Question #3 - Dirt and Grime in the Turbo: The PCV system injects small particles of oil into the intake. Without a filter, dirty air can enter the system. The two combined can cause problems. You will find that you currently do have oil in your turbo path, this is normal unless its a river. The compressor wheel is a free moving part and unless something large (Sand being large) makes its way through you really dont need to worry about damage. Bottom line, keep a filter in the system. If you want to clean it, brake cleaner will remove oil quite nicely.

Question #4 - PTC/PCV: If you do not know when the PCV was replaced, replace it. Second, if you have not done yet...do a compression test. If you are low you may be fighting an uphill battle. Low compression means blow by which means excessive crank case pressure. Crank case pressure + Clogged PCV system = Oil leaks and blown seals.

Question #5 - Light at the end of the tunnel: Yes

Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Media
For the time being as I can't seem to find the answer in my Haynes.
Here is the service manual you can download, which you will find more info than Haynes;
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/dow.../Volvo_850.zip

Old 03-12-2010, 09:51 PM

Thanks for the input. Like I said, this forum has been my saving grace.

I may run my old aftermarket psi boost gauge with some added vacuum line to get a basic idea of where the turbo boost is. Until the parts come in, and my Timing belt is changed next Friday (payday) I have been babying the car. Keeping it at 1,500 RPMs or less if I can. So, if you live in Orlando, and see a plum 850 turbo in the far right lane doing 30 in a 45.... I am doing everything I can to have it up to speed ASAP.

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Media
Thanks for the input. Like I said, this forum has been my saving grace.

I may run my old aftermarket psi boost gauge with some added vacuum line to get a basic idea of where the turbo boost is. Until the parts come in, and my Timing belt is changed next Friday (payday) I have been babying the car. Keeping it at 1,500 RPMs or less if I can. So, if you live in Orlando, and see a plum 850 turbo in the far right lane doing 30 in a 45.... I am doing everything I can to have it up to speed ASAP.

Thanks again!
Hey another Orlando member!!! Cool
Do you ever see me in the Yellow one driving around?

Are you sending the car to a shop for the T-belt?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by tech
Hey another Orlando member!!! Cool
Do you ever see me in the Yellow one driving around?

Are you sending the car to a shop for the T-belt?
I have not seen your Volvo yet. Though I am fairly lame, and do not really go anywhere between home and work. So if you are not on the 426 from WinterPark to Oviedo then I most likely will not.. well, at least until I get all of the little things straightened out.

As for the timing belt. I am going to the shop. Not that I don't want to put it in myself. This is my daily driver, and I don't have too much spare time. So, I have to get some of the things done to the car in a timely manner while I am at work. I found a shop in Maitland that got some fairly good reviews, and was 500 dollars cheaper than the Volvo Store. Don't get me started on the Volvo Store.. That place is a waist of perfectly good Winter Park Village parking spaces.

Last edited by Media; 03-12-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

HA HA on the Volvo store!!!! I agree!!! (I used to work there so I know)

PM me with the place you are taking it. It may be the shop I work at!!