Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New to Forum, thinking about buying Turbo 850 and megasquirt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum, thinking about buying Turbo 850 and megasquirt

Hi guys, My name is Charles from Montreal/Canada and I'm new here.

As of a couple weeks I've been helping a friend with his Turbo Neon running on Mega-Squirt 1. Ever since then and seeing how much power can be made I've been on the search for a car that already comes with a turbo. I really came up with 2 options that were affordable: Turbo Volvo's and Turbo Diesel Volkswagons.

The VW's TDI doesn't really attract me and is incredibly loud. So I've been looking at buying Volvo's. I found many in my area ranging from 740 Turbo to 960 Turbo however, they are mostly automatic. I'm an apprentice mechanic till I finish my 2 years but I can pretty much swap anything and do all the work myself.

What I really wanted was a 960 Turbo since it's rear-wheel drive but it only comes automatic so I've opted for a 850 5-speed that's being sold locally.

He is asking 1500$ (Negoctiable), it's a 1994 Red, 5-speed Sedan with 200,000+ km. It's has heated leather seats, On-board computer, and comes with 4 high-performance tires.

Now before I go see the car, my plan is to have a Megasquirt EFI built for it which will be around 500 with everything I need. I would also do basic upgrades as a front mount intercooler, 3" Exhaust, MSD Ignition, Bigger Injectors, Boost Controller, BOV.

What I would like to know is what things go bad on these cars after 200,000 km and are they expensive to fix. With the above mentioned mods I plan, is 300+ hp a reasonable amount of power? I've also seen 850 T5R, what is the T5R exactly?

Thanks for any help/input you guys have.

Thanks in advance,

Charles

Old 10-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: New to Forum, thinking about buying Turbo 850 and megasquirt

T5-Rs are the higher preformance 850 models, and are pretty rare to come by. They had 250 or so hp from factory, will others only had 220 or so, and some other goodies from the factory.
With the mods above, you could hit as high as 400whp, but I would also do some internal mods if you go that high(forged rods/pistons, and new SS valves..ect..). Also, abigger turbo would be better. 200,000miles is a little much but it should be fine if you maintain it properly.
If you do get it, I would love to see some pics ofyour MS setup. You should check turbobricks also. They have some crazy build ups.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: TIPSP

T5-Rs are the higher preformance 850 models, and are pretty rare to come by. They had 250 or so hp from factory, will others only had 220 or so, and some other goodies from the factory.
With the mods above, you could hit as high as 400whp, but I would also do some internal mods if you go that high(forged rods/pistons, and new SS valves..ect..). Also, abigger turbo would be better. 200,000miles is a little much but it should be fine if you maintain it properly.
If you do get it, I would love to see some pics ofyour MS setup. You should check turbobricks also. They have some crazy build ups.
Thanks for the quick reply, the car has 200,000km which is about 125,000 miles. I'm really trying to do this car on a small budget, (less than 3500) But with the car at such a low starting price I should be able to manage everything considering I would be doing all the work. Any turbo in particular you could suggest that would bolt-up and provide more power?

Also, do these turbo's have an internal wastegate or external? What has changed in the T5R over the base 850 that gives it the extra 30 hp?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The T5R came from the factory with a 15G turbo and different computer which bumped it from 220Hp up to 240HP.
With what you are planning it sounds like you will be over 300HP which it going to lead to trouble. These motors are pretty much only good to 300HP before they start breaking things internally.

You can get a 18T from a newer S60R and bolt it on.

The 5 speed tranny will hold up better than the Auto's.

The R also had a different suspension and different interior. The only differences in the body's were the front bumper and the 17 inch rims.

On my Yellow T5R I am running a chipped computer and MBC hitting 14PSI. I also have a cold air kit. I estimate I am at about 260 or so HP. Also remember that is engine HP not to the ground.

Also the T5R was only made in 1995. In 1996 they dropped the T5 and called it an R only. Still pretty much the same as the T5R with only a few changes.

The T5R's in the U.S. were only avalible in 2 colors Yellow(Limited to 183 cars) and black.

White and red came out in 1996 as well as Black carrying over.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Got Boost?

You can also get the New "R" exhaust manifold. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-1855/
This will let the turbo spool better than the stock one, becuase it flows better. But it does cost some money.
I think these turbos have internal wastegates.
Less than 3500...If you want IPD has a 100+ hp package: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-4221/
This might be perfect for you. They are a really good company to work with also.
Just make sure you do aSOLID Stage Zero, before these mods. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

The T5R came from the factory with a 15G turbo and different computer which bumped it from 220Hp up to 240HP.
With what you are planning it sounds like you will be over 300HP which it going to lead to trouble. These motors are pretty much only good to 300HP before they start breaking things internally.

You can get a 18T from a newer S60R and bolt it on.

The 5 speed tranny will hold up better than the Auto's.

The R also had a different suspension and different interior. The only differences in the body's were the front bumper and the 17 inch rims.

On my Yellow T5R I am running a chipped computer and MBC hitting 14PSI. I also have a cold air kit. I estimate I am at about 260 or so HP. Also remember that is engine HP not to the ground.

Also the T5R was only made in 1995. In 1996 they dropped the T5 and called it an R only. Still pretty much the same as the T5R with only a few changes.

The T5R's in the U.S. were only avalible in 2 colors Yellow(Limited to 183 cars) and black.

White and red came out in 1996 as well as Black carrying over.

Thanks for the info, What is the stock psi setting of a 850 Turbo and 850 T5R? MBC - Manual Boost Controller I'm assuming?

Did you chip your computer yourself? How much did it cost? The 850 has a Blow-Off Valve or a Derrivetor(<bad spelling)Valve?

ORIGINAL: TIPSP
You can also get the New "R" exhaust manifold. http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-1855/
This will let the turbo spool better than the stock one, becuase it flows better. But it does cost some money.
I think these turbos have internal wastegates.
Less than 3500...If you want IPD has a 100+ hp package: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Perf...p-72-143-4221/
This might be perfect for you. They are a really good company to work with also.
Just make sure you do aSOLID Stage Zero, before these mods. Good luck.
The Manifold I can find a used one at a scrap yard for 80-100$ My 3500$ budget is with the car included which is going to be 1500 and 2000 for mods and maintence.

Megasquirt: 500-550
Innovate Motorsport LC-1 Wideband: 300
MSD Ignition: 250
MBC: 50
Front Mount: 200
Exhaust Manifold: 100
18T: 350-600 Used + 150 to have it rebuilt ( 750)
Injectors: 200
BOV: 50
Timing Belt/Water Pump: 250
Other Maintence: 250-400
Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure Gauge: 100
Maybe a Racing Clutch: 300

Thats about 3050-3500

I'm already going to have to cut some stuff out of there, some of the stuff I think I'll be able to find for cheaper, plus there's no labour, just my time, If I don't opt for the Megasquirt I won't need the LC-1 Wideband which is 850 off my budget. It all depends how much I can find this stuff for.

That's a great website but alot of it is defiently over-priced, espically the Stage III kit. What do you guys mean by stage ZERO?

Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM

Is there a chassis code for the 850 Turbo like there is for bmw's? such as 1992 5 Series = E34 and 1996 3 Series = E36?

Asking cuase it might be easier to find parts.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Bad. how are you? just sent you a PM..ciao
fab

Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Got Boost?

Yeah IPD is exspensive. Didnt know that the car was included in buget...but you still have 2grand for mods, so you should be able to get that stuff if you getgooddeals.
For the chassie codes, All I hear is: 740turbo wagon = 745t, 740 sedan = 744, 855 = wagon, 854t= turbo sedan...ect.
Stage Zero: Check your engine compression, Check/change your fuel filter, Check your fuel injectors for flow, Check your turbocharger's baseline boost,
and all the other "tune up" stuff you would normallydo like: spark plugs, oil change, new wires, new dist. cap, new belts if they haven't been changed in a while...ect.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 AM

Thats going to be the first thing I do when I get the car, Timing Belt, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Thermostat, All Filters, Flush all fluids that way I can start service intervals from when I got the car.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Stock on OEM setup with the electric boost controller My T5R was only 7 it was supposed to be around 10. The turbo cars are more like 5 to 7 from the factory.
I bought a used computer from someone. But I have the Upsolute tune paid $175.00 for it. It is OK there is better ones out there. You can most likely find a used chipped computer for a couple of hundred dollars.
These turbo's have a bypass valve (I assume diverter) Diaphram mounted on the side of the turbo.

I hate to send people from this forum but also check out Volvospeed.com alot of info there about modding. I don't like the atmosphere over there. Here we are like a big family. Over there is a lot of attitude.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Got Boost?

Yah Turbobricks is the same. There is a lot of "cocky" remarks, but the people know what they are doing. I like it over there.
It is a great forum for mods as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 PM

Stock on OEM setup with the electric boost controller My T5R was only 7 it was supposed to be around 10. The turbo cars are more like 5 to 7 from the factory.
I bought a used computer from someone. But I have the Upsolute tune paid $175.00 for it. It is OK there is better ones out there. You can most likely find a used chipped computer for a couple of hundred dollars.
These turbo's have a bypass valve (I assume diverter) Diaphram mounted on the side of the turbo.

I hate to send people from this forum but also check out Volvospeed.com alot of info there about modding. I don't like the atmosphere over there. Here we are like a big family. Over there is a lot of attitude.

We'll after I get the car, first thing after the tune-up is going to be a boost gauge and then go from there.

I asked about the diverter is because my friend had bought a MR2 Turbo and it had a diverter valve except he swapped it out to a regular Blow-Off Valve and since the car used a MAF, the air that it had measured coming into the intake was being blown off into the air, so slowing down to a light the ECU was adding too much fuel for air that was no longer in the system and the car kept stalling, but it sounded cool

Also, the company that will be making the Megasquirt ECU for the Volvo needs to know what kind of inputs/outputs the Volvo ECU needs. Any idea's?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 AM

I also need to know the name of the engine and transmission of the 850...

Also, the engine and transmission used in the 850 are the same in what other volvo applications? (such as 740,760, 940,960...etc)

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Not sure where to get all the input and outsignals from.

These cars work fine with a BOV. You can run Both the diverter and BOV or buy a block off plate and remove the diverter either will work fine.

The engine is just a Volvo 5 cylinder "white engine"
The transmission is an asian warner.
The transmissions are only used on the 850/S70 and only up to a certain year on the S70.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Got Boost?

If you need help finding where to get the inputs for MS, go over to turbobricks and ask.
The guys over there should be able to tell you. Just don't leave this site.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Not sure where to get all the input and outsignals from.

These cars work fine with a BOV. You can run Both the diverter and BOV or buy a block off plate and remove the diverter either will work fine.

The engine is just a Volvo 5 cylinder "white engine"
The transmission is an asian warner.
The transmissions are only used on the 850/S70 and only up to a certain year on the S70.
Sorry for the confussion about the engine name...I meant engine code, such as M50B25

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator

The white sticker on the underside of the hood should tell you.
It will be something like a B5234T or something like that depending on things.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Went to go see the car today and test drove. The car has 393,000km, the seats are torn, paint is pretty faded, All 4 Disc's and pads need to be changed and It's almost time for the Timing Belt + Water pump front end needs a complete rebuilt ($650 - 30 pieces from FCP) which includes Tie-Rods, Lower Tables, Shocks, Top Plates, Boot Kits, Sway Bars

For 393,000 km this car freakin moves, needs a tune-up, no misfiring, clutch grips very nicely, a bit of rust on the hood and trunk. 4 Lightly Used Toyo 16's. He's asking 1500 negotiable, with the amount of stuff to do on, (don't count labour) Is it worth it or should I keep looking and what's a reasonable offer?

Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Got Boost?

I would offer 1000 see what they say,maybe 1200. If you dont feel this is the right car...then wait.
It is your choice. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: New to Forum, thinking about buying Turbo 850 and megasquirt