Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Here

Well I'm new here. I used to drive 04 Jetta GLI and had to sell it under some financial circumstances. I couldn't convince myself to go out and buy a Japanese car. So instead I got a 97 Volvo 850GLT. Fully loaded but automatic and it only had 89,xxx miles on it. The engine is in a very good condition and the transmission shifts very smooth. I would like to know if have to look out for anything mechanical. And if possible to see some of your setups that you guys have. I was also curious what the most common vendors are that you guys use. The front valence is a bit scratched up and was wondering if it was even worth is to but a new one. Please excuse my noob questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated

pics for clicks from my old ride

Name:  resied7.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  61.9 KB

Name:  resied5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  69.8 KB

Old 08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Default RE: New Here

^You don't have any links but that's a real clean Jetta. Is it completely stock?

GLT is kind of underpowder imo, but it's a good choice nonetheless. The biggest problem you need to look out for is that the ABS is going to fail. If you ever have a ABS light or a CEL (they're related, so you'll have both at the same time), you're going to want to get the ABS unit rebuilt instead of buying a new one (much cheaper).

The A/C evaporator is also like that, so savor every minute that you have a/c.

Other than that, the 850 is an interference engine which means you MUST be very exact about maintenance. At 89k miles, I assume the timing belt was changed recently, if it wasn't, do it NOW. I could list some other problems that other members have had, but at 89k, you're kind of far away from them (fuel pump possibly, and you're going to probably want to replace the PCV system later).

Bottom line is that these cars will last a long time IF you treat them right. 300k miles is not a problem.

What's a Valance too btw?

As to websites, check the sticky at the top. But the best sites for stock parts are eEuroParts.com and FCPgroton.com. For after market, there's a variety of options. Probably not as many as your Jetta, but since the car's already turbo charged, after market isn't as important since most of the parts are universal anyways.

Let us know if you have anymore questions. Btw, you got pics? Or at least what color is the car?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Oh, and regarding setup, I dont' have anything real special.

But a cheap mod is to paint your bumpers black (mine were faded as hell). You can do this using Kiwi Shoe DYE ($2.49 or $3.49)

Name:  DSC03220.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  92.0 KB

Before
Name:  DSC03217.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  102.2 KB
After
Name:  DSC03226.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  134.1 KB

Check my thread a couple threads down about my HIDs.

You might want to check out VolvoSpeed.com too. Using the two sites in conjunction is basically all you'll ever need.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:09 PM

Wow...thanks for all the great info. By front valence I meant the extra lip on the bottom of the front bumper. The right side eat a curb no dents but a nice scratch. Timing belt and all the maintaining was done before I got it. The thick a** rub strip is not fainted at all, some rubbing will bring the shine back.The car seems like it has beentaken care of very well just some minor scratches here and there. But I was expecting that for a car that’s 10 years old. The car is all white and I love it. I will take some pic’s this weekend hopefully. I like your HID’s but that will be something in a little while for me. I have one last question. I have a CD option in my head unit but no CD player so I say I should have a CD changer but I cant find it, so I guess the previous owner took it out, but where would it be located at originally?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Gotcha. I've never seen the term valance before.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of the black bumper at first, but it has really really grown on me.

My setup is nothing close to some of the other people, but at least you can get somewhat of an idea. And the last owner stole the good rims and gave me the winter set so my wheels are crap too. lol.

The CD changer is in the trunk. The previous owner might've taken the insert (they did with mine), which means you gotta go hunt one down. Don't pay more than 30 shipped. I think I paid 20 or 25 shipped.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all came with the same head unit with the CD whether the CD changer was installed or not. It is probably wired for one though and if it is factory it is in the trunk. I like white 850's as you can tell from my signature. My white one is my favorite, but if I find a red 98 V70 T5M with charcoal interior, I'm buying it and getting rid of the burgundy 98 V70 GLT. Which by the way is the car that I never have a problem with. So I'm not looking too hard.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Hey RedTurbo, about that Kiwi shoe dye trick on the rub strips; How long does it last before needing to be redone? The black 850 we just bought for my son of course has the gray bumpers & rub strips. I would really like for them to be black as I think it would overall make the car look better, especially once we get the windows tinted. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:42 PM

If you want aftermarket parts S70Driver posted a huge selection of websites you can choose from. Here is the thread. https://volvoforums.com/m_38616/tm.htm. And modding volvos is not cheap, as I assume it was with the jetta since there are so many vendors.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: jks2

Hey RedTurbo, about that Kiwi shoe dye trick on the rub strips; How long does it last before needing to be redone? The black 850 we just bought for my son of course has the gray bumpers & rub strips. I would really like for them to be black as I think it would overall make the car look better, especially once we get the windows tinted. Thanks.
For our bumpers, it seems that the Kiwi Shoe Dyeapplies verywell. When I was researching if I remember right, some people had theirs going for over 2 years. But at least 1 year for sure.

Another product would be forever black, but that's more expensive.

If you do decide to do this. Taping up everything is unnecessary since it'll rub right off, and don't do it in the sun like I did. Other than that, it's quite easy. Just apply as many coats as you want (depending on how black you want it to be).

Doing this on Black cars looks very very good, and especially with tint, it'd be even better.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks RedTurbo. We're going to give it a try. Then we'll tint the windows. On this or Volvo-Forums.com I saw where someone painted their stock grill black. I think that would look good too. If we do it I'll take some pics and post them.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:45 PM

Be sure to follow up. And remember to paint the door handles too.. Oh, and it is kind of hard to get the part where the front bumpermeets the trim, so youmight want to pick up a piece of triangular foam to getinto those cracks.

Personally, I like stock grills, but to each their own...

And instead of painting, some people opt for aftermarket grills, which you might like better...They're kind of expensive, but I guess if you like it, what's the harm? I know EST performance makes one...Other than that, i'm not completely sure since I don't really look at these things..

Old 08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you bought a nice Volvo.

I have a few questions for you to answer.

1. What is your budget?

2. Do you want power?

3. Do you want handling?

4. Do you want interior/exterior mods?

A great place to starts searching on this forum is through the link here, https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm
Also this one here, https://volvoforums.com/m_65537/tm.htm

You could replace your front valance (Bumper) with one found on the 850R models. These can be bought from the dealership and Viva Performance. They are color coded and if your color isn't available you will have to get it repainted as they might not be able to find a primmered one for you.

If you want an extra lip good luck. They stopped making the CF lips awhile ago and they are very rare and hard to find now a days. You could find a place to custom make you one though to your specs.

Some of the popular website's (Vendors) we like are... IPD USA, EuroSportTuning (EST), Viva Performance, QuickBrickMotorSports (QBM), FCP Groton (Mainly for OEM parts, but they do sell some aftermarket lenses), SharpHID (Best place to buy your HID's when you want to purcahse a set).

Old 08-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you mentioned the door handles. I would have completely forgotten that. The grill I can take either way. I've seen a picture of the stock grill painted and of the aftermarket grill. I like the chrome but if the boy wants to change it we'll give it a go.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM

Yeah if you want to do something with the grey trim you can do a few things.

1. Kiwi Shoe Dye

2. Forever Black

3. Paint them your OEM car color and if you do this paint your door handles as well.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM

Glad you mentioned the door handles. I would have completely forgotten that. The grill I can take either way. I've seen a picture of the stock grill painted and of the aftermarket grill. I like the chrome but if the boy wants to change it we'll give it a go.
I take back my suggestion of the EST grill, because over at Volvo Speed, some guys were complaining that the grill was breaking their hood latches.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

I take back my suggestion of the EST grill, because over at Volvo Speed, some guys were complaining that the grill was breaking their hood latches.
I had a IPD grille on my old 850, loved it. However the hood latch broke. So either way you put it your hood latch has the potential to break.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:45 PM

^So how do you open the hood?

I knew this one lady who would use a tweezers and try to pull it out. lolol.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: RedTurbo850

^So how do you open the hood?

I knew this one lady who would use a tweezers and try to pull it out. lolol.
I rigged it with a coat hanger till I got a new hood latch.

Luckly on the 70 series I don't have to worry about that.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

On my yellow car they are real black and that looks good. Obviously somebody did something to make them that way. But my white car has grey and they don't look good. I want to keep them grey because of the grey tip to the rear spoiler, but hate putting the stuff I have on everytime I wash the car. Do they kiwi grey shoe die? Is there a Forever Grey?

Old 08-15-2007, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

On my yellow car they are real black and that looks good. Obviously somebody did something to make them that way. But my white car has grey and they don't look good. I want to keep them grey because of the grey tip to the rear spoiler, but hate putting the stuff I have on everytime I wash the car. Do they kiwi grey shoe die? Is there a Forever Grey?
If you look on IPD's website you would find they have a product for Black and a product for Grey.

At least they used to.

Quick Reply: New Here