Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

New Volvo Owner-850R WAGON

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo Owner-850R WAGON

I just purchased an 850R wagon yesterday and have been doing some general research and checks on the car that I read here since getting it home.

The car has 187k miles on it and maintenance and repair documents from the day it was sold new. I'm now the 3rd owner. In all the documents and repairs done I saw nothing relating to the PCV system being cleaned or replaced around 60k or 120k....with this discovery, I checked to for the oil mist out the dipstick tube and oil around the oil cap. I have both.

I was looking down the Intake hose and noticed one of the hoses connecting into a 'PTC' or (Positive Temperature Coefficient heater nipple)has a section completly broken with no connection to the PTC.

I plan to replace the PCV system completely, but am curious if I can still drive the car with this piece of hose missingandnot making a connection?

Thanks for any helpthat can be provided in advance.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New Volvo Owner-850R WAGON

Someone might have bypassed the factory setup and ran the hose different.
The hose that attaches at the valve at the back of the motor to the induction hose runs all the way to the other side of the intake behind the power steering pump.
People cut alot of that extra hose out.
It gets done by capping the port on the side of the intake. Then cutting the plastic hose by the induction hose and reuse the elbow and a small portion of the plastic hose. Then run a rubber hose from the plastic hose up to the vaccum tree on the intake and call it done.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 AM

Tech,
Thanks for your response.

I do turn my own wrench on mostly the simple issues with maintaining a vehicle.
Is replacing the entire PCV system something that I may have to consider a volvo mechanic to do? If so what would you suspect a price would be for someone to do it? I like to do my own work, but don't want to get in too over my head especially with a car I am just learning on....

Also, is there a better way to fix or re-route the hose lines for thePCV? In reading what you mentioned above, that looked like another route to consider....is it? or short-cut that could lead to more problems? Like most I want to fix it right the first time and not take a short cut unless it makes sense and prevents any damage.

I forgot to mention in my first post the car is a 1996 model 850R.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator

You should be able to replace it your self.
You will have to remove the intake to replace it but we can help walk you through the entire job.
I run the hose like explained above to cut out the extra hose in my opinion that isn't needed.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM

Tech,
Thanks for the advice and replies....
I saw a writeup on how it is done on another site and really it looks like just moving a lot of stuff to get to it. Nothing real complex that I could see except the intake part.

I think I may give it a go.
Thanks for the help andI will more than likely post again if I hit a snag.

Take care,

Old 02-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

No problem we will be here to help if you need it.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
jmd

Let us know how it goes. I, too, am a relatively new owner of a '96 850 turbo wagon (not R model, though...nice!). I've been thinking about cleaning/replacing my PCV system before i think about getting it chipped.

Post up some pics if you get a chance. I always love seeing other people's sport wagons.

Oh, and welcome!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I have wanted an "R" model (sedan or wagon) for a while now, but when I find one for sale I always seem to either just miss out on it, or not have the funds at the time.....oh welll, some day

Old 02-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the Welcome!!

Actually, I felt lucky I even found one with all the maintenance records since new and so well taken care of. A really nice family in Atlanta owned it and were sticklers for up keep. I was surprised the PCV issue was not addressed, but I have record ofrepair 10k miles ago they put some MAJOR $ into replacing the turbo, struts, tires, cam sensor seals, timing belt, water pump, belts & hoses....I knowI am forgeting something else.

I'll get some pictures up very soon...hopefully this weekend. It is Black with a beige interior (suede and leather). VERY well kept I might add. There are some dings on it (hood/roof) looks like hale damage, but nothing serious. I spent a good portion today detailing it some with some cleaning here are there.

So far it has been a blast to drive to/for work.

Again, thanks for the welcome and I'll try to post some pics this weekend. Guess I'll be ordering the PCV parts soon.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:56 AM

Here are some pictures as promised...

[IMG]local://upfiles/14787/E2BDE74FC9814B519B221821F19DF19D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14787/74D8F33B9C294BBE9D22732FE1C4C37A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14787/649245BBB31047798D8A9CC9EC138AC0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Looks good I love the R's!!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 AM

Thanks Tech!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM

Nice R... Good that you were able to cach that fine R.

I did the full replacement of the PCV system by purchasing the kit at FCP Grotton http://www.fcpgroton.com/index.htm. Or you can also get the parts from IPD.

There are several web sites that have good descriptions on how to fix/clean the PCV. I did get in there and clean the manifold and PTC from old crud. The hose that links the manifold to the PTC was broken.

http://lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

Old 03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the PCV on my son's '96 850 N/A yesterday so many things are still fresh in my mind.

You need a 1/4" drive socket with a swivel and a 6" extension to get the intake manifold bolts loose. The lower intake manifold bolts are the most problematic and the bolt to the (US) passenger's side is the toughest. For that one dump the swivel socket and just go with a straight 6" and a 3" extender stacked together - it helps to get yourhand in and feelwhere you are aiming forget to it since you cannot see it. You need to snake around the A/C lines and get just behind the power steering pump to get to it.

The bottom of the intake manifold has slotted bolt holes. You only need to loosen those bolts a couple of turns to get the manifold off. The upper intake manifold bolts need to come all of the way out.

The EGR valve is a pric&. Loosen the flare nut with a 22mm wrench before you try to remove the valve. The valve itself has a pair of funky long bolts that take an 8mm socket to remove. Most socket wrenches will bottom out before the bolts are free so you have some hand cramps in your future trying to spin them out by hand. I found that keeping the outer bolt snug and removing the inner bolt first kept the strain off of them and allowed me to deal with them easier by hand.

Leave the lower intake manifold bracket a tad loose until you start the bolt from the bracket to the manifold. Tighten the lower bracket bolt last.

Good luck,This can be done in the driveway.

I love the look of the Volans!

...Lee

Old 03-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the website leads TGRJMP and OZark Lee thanks for the hints. This is one of many projects I hope to complete in the coming weeks.

On the Volans...I love those wheels too. Unfortunately and suprisingly one of the wheels is cracked and bent pretty bad. I found some OK looking aftermarkets for now and plan on getting all the Volans re-done in the near future. The aftermarkets look similar, but black....just looks odd to me with the car since I have an attachment to the OEM wheels.

Anyway, thanks again for the compliments and hints on repair. Hopefully I'll have an update soon on completion and maybe my next project.