New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

97 850R Wagon Owner - Columbus, Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 850R Wagon Owner - Columbus, Indiana

Greetings!

I've been hanging around the forum for awhile, but have yet to post an introduction here.

My name is John, and I live in Columbus, Indiana. Other vehicles in my fleet are a 95 Thunderbird Supercoupe, and a 96 Explorer Limited. I do a lot of my own maintenance.

I've enjoyed the 850R since my folks bought one from the local Ford/Honda dealer back in 1998. The car was previously registered to Volvo.

I recently got my 850R from my folks when they decided to get a newer vehicle and wanted to downsize their fleet by 1 vehicle.

I've always liked this car, the price was right, and my previous daily driver, a 95 Thunderbird Supercoupe, is getting high in miles and rough all over. It's to the point where it's no longer really dependable, and what I need at this point in my life is dependable.

I have 3 small children - ages 6, 5 and 9 months. Admittedly, the 850R is a 'tight fit' for my family, but I love it.

The car has about 115k on it. The car had been sitting for a few years with minimal use since the odometer gears failed at 105,xxx. I'm guessing it has had 10k miles put on it since, but it's only a guess. Probably actually less. The gears recently arrived from FCP, and I'm going to install them soon.

Since I purchased it, I've done timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires, new shocks on the tailgate, and some heavy cleanup work. I've also done the euro side markers, replaced all 4 door speaker with some 5-1/4 polks, shaved the tailgate emblems and replaced a broken front corner lens.

I purchased a PCV kit from FCP that I will install soon. I also need to claybar the paint and get a good coat of wax on it.

The front spoiler is broken. I have the piece that is broken out, and would like to have it fixed soon. Hopefully it can be fixed, and I won't have to replace it, as the bumper cover is not cheap. I also have a rear spoiler for the car that I hope to have painted at the same time.

Other things I have some interest in - possibly adding the 3rd row of seating, eventually upgrading the suspension and brakes as necessary, and keeping an amazing piece of engineering on the road. After working on my Fords and previous vehicles, working on the Volvo is much more user friendly.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, sounds like you have a nice wagon there. Keep us posted with how the repairs are coming.