Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Odometer, dashboard lights, and odd noises.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer, dashboard lights, and odd noises.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/161

That's what I need, right?

I plan to replace all my dashboard lights when I repair the odometer (right side of speedometer/needle don't light up), but can't find them at fcpgroton. Is it something I'll be able to find at an Autozone?

Today I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the right side of the car. Two things seemed to set it off: turning right (shifting weight away from the right side) and moving the fan speed. After a second at the new setting, it would stop. Any ideas?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Odometer, dashboard lights, and odd noises.

Yes, that is what you need to fix the odometer. As for the lights, you should be able to find them at AutoZone, but IPD also sells a kit with all the bulbs in it. LAstly, I think the squeeking sound you hear is your heater/AC blower motor. They are a known failure item. Actually they rarely sieze up, they just start squeeking and driving you crazy!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Are you sure it's the blower motor? The fact that it squeaks constantly if I'm going right is making me think it's something else. If it is, is there a simple way to tell and is it an easy fi?

Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Pmalloy,

A couple of questions for you.

Have you ever found water in the passenger foot well?

Does your blower squeek when on low and squeel when on high?

Have you ever changed the cabin filter?

The reason that I ask is that, just after I bought The Anvil and a really good thunder storm, I found almost an inch of water one morning and couldnt figure out how it got in the car. It was raining when I last got out of the car and I made sure to button it up. Windows up, roof down.[sm=smiley20.gif]

The cabin filter is located under the cowl which meets the wind shieldin front of the passenger area and if the cowl is not in proper contact with the wind shield water will drip off and right into, onto, the filter and down onto the motor. [:'(]

It turns out that the previous owner neglected to mention this little quirk and about a month later the fan began to squeek a little and then a lot and finally itgot unbearable. The squeek was coming froma bearing in the fan and there is no fix just a replacement.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM

Hello again Pmalloy,

I forgot about your dash.

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Ligh...s/p-72-106-549

I hope this helps .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM

I have a base model, and was under the impression that they don't have cabin air filters. Also, I've never once found water in the passenger footwell.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 AM

And I think I'm just going to try to find the dashboard lights at autozone. I'm too cheap to spend $30 on three bulbs.

Thanks a lot for the help, though.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 AM

Hey Pmalloy,

Then your one fortunate dude [sm=smiley20.gif].

As you can tell from my questions the reason that I had to replace my blower motor.

Oh well, just a shot in the dark. That is all that I have to add.

Ihope you can solve this .

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 01:48 PM

I wouldn't go with the kit. They sell the bulbs for $0.90 each, which means you're paying $5.40 for the bulbs and $24.55 for the DVD. There's wonderful instructions all over these web sites already on how to do the job, so why pay the extra $$$ for directions? It will still be $7.00 in shipping though. 8^(

1993-1997 Instruments - IPD #3E92821
1993-1997 Trip Computer bulb - IPD #3E90012

Old 06-26-2008, 08:40 PM

Living in Canada and needing the kit I found that it is almost $80CDN for shipping from IPD [:@].

As much as I would like this kit I am not paying $105 for something that starts out at $25.[sm=nono.gif]

I really only need the bulbs because there are a couple of how to posts here so the disc is not needed.Unless it has boobies or things blowing up, I will pass on the disc [sm=smiley36.gif].

I guess I am going to have to find someone in the states who I can send the cash to and can buy the kit for me and mail it to me. I mean, if you go to the post office the weight of the kit cant be that much and, you dont have to tell them what is really in the box.Any savings is a good thing when it comes to my Brick.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Hey Quick Brick-

You need the bulbs from IPD? I live In Portland and once a week I am driving literally past IPD. Maybe we could work something out.

Let me Know
Ray

Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Well hello Autoxray,

Thanks for the offer becauseI just cannot, in any possible way, justify over a hundred bucks for something that costs less than ten .

I would be willing to work something out with you if you want to send me an email and we can work out th details.

I am sure if the bulbs are in a small box with bubble wrap the weight at the post office could not cost that much to mail.

I have to go to work now, last midnight shift for the week, and will look forward to your email in the morning.

See. It never hurts to help

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-27-2008, 08:46 AM

So are you looking for the kit from IPD which is $29.95 US?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:25 AM

Hello Autoxray,

I just got in from work and to my surprise, yours was the first reply I got when I opened the mail.

That is the kit that I was looking at. (http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_skus/10294.jpg) Are we speaking of the same thing.

When I went through the check out, to find out the shipping costs [:@]($78USD), I just about dumped a load [sm=smiley19.gif].

The shipping is three times the price of the product. OUCH.

All I need are the bulbs, themselves, and I will use the removal/replacement procedure found here.

If I can find a price for the bulbs with the tax and what it might cost to ship them from there to here I would be greatful [sm=smiley20.gif].

PM me andand we can exchange infoand you could find out what the weight of the bulbsand what ever container is appropriate are for a to me total.

From there it is just a matter of time and I will be able to see the trip computer again and get rid of that dark spot in the cluster. I will work on the light in the shifter later. I have no idea whatthe trip computerwould look like all lit up but I am sure it would becool [sm=smiley16.gif].

Thanks for the reply.

PM me.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Quick Brick,

Here are the separate bulbs that are included in the kit:

Instrument bulbs: 3E92821
Trip Computer bulbs: 3E90012

Both are $0.90 each. I just bought some for my 97 854 R

Old 06-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Hey now Bur Jr.,

Thank you for the price list.

Sweet jeezus that is so much cheaper than the IPD kit price. Basically six bucks for the entire dash to come alive.

Where did you buy the bulbs?

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Looks like those are IPD part numbers. Do we know how many of each are needed?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Quick Brick,

I bought them at IPD. Those should be links to the parts at IPD.

Autoxray,

Need 4 or5 of the instruments bulbs depending on which dash you have (VDO or Yazaki) and 2 of the trip computer bulbs. I bought like 8 of the instrument bulbs and 5 of the trip bulbs just to have extras if I ever need them. I figured the shpping would be the same either way. My son also drives a 97 850 GLT, so I thought I might need them down the road for his car, if not for mine again.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Thanks Bur Jr. ,

You said that you bought them seperatly, right?

That has got to be one informative disc [sm=smiley36.gif]

Now, to figure out how to get them from there to here for less than Ipd and their eighty dollar shipping charge [sm=boohoo.gif].

I think that I have a line on them with another member and if all goes well I will be lit in no time. Hey, I have gone almost three years without them (trip computer - center left went a couple of weeks ago) and if it takes a little longer, oooohh well .

I am in no real hurry and do not want to rush a good thing [sm=smiley20.gif].

I checked the links and now I have something to work,I now know what they look like,with so thank you for that.

I am about to head out the door and will stop by Radio Shack, The Source up here, and see if they can help.

If this works out andI can find them I will take a lot of photographs of thereplacement process( from my point of view)and find a way to post them for others to view/check/learn from .

Thanks again people.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Update all,

Thanks to another member here, Autoxray, I have received the coveted dash bulbs for so much less than the list price of the kit. Thank you very much.

Ive come across a some other issues in the last couple of weeks and have to decide what to do. Actually, I know what Im going to do. I am going to fix them but still need a few things.[/align][/align]Quick List:[/align][/align]PROBLEMSOLUTION[/align][/align]Car pulls to the right when braking.Replace front left/drivers caliper.[/align]Believe seizing/seized caliper as there[/align]is some dusting but not like on the right[/align]side which would indicate that the [/align]right/pass is working properly.[/align][/align]Mild rotor wobble when braking. Replace rotors. Already have in the back of The Anvl.[/align][/align]Car has stalled out a few times,oncePulling codes for directions to the problem,[/align]sitting at a light and once while runningwill post all codes later.[/align]at sixty KPH.[/align][/align]Both the Temp and Tach guages haveI am not really sure what would cause this[/align]dropped to zero while driving. A smack and need help here.[/align]on the dash brings them back up/reading[/align]properly.[/align][/align]Having a problem with the seat back. Believe that it is a faulty switch, itself, is failing and will[/align]The tilt switch seems to be bad as it will have found a few on eBay.[/align]only move forward incrementally but will [/align]move back with not trouble.[/align][/align]I am planning, we all know what happens to the best laid plans ,for this weekend to purchase/install a new caliper and replace the rotors,top up the fluidandremovethe dash to replace the lights. [/align][/align]Any suggestions that anyone has are appreciated.[/align][/align][sm=icon_cheers.gif][/align][/align]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odometer, dashboard lights, and odd noises.