oil now leaks from cam seal , burns out rotor - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 PM

Default oil now leaks from cam seal , burns out rotor

I have a 95 850 wagon non turbo , seems to have high crankcase pressure , it leaked out the filler cap and dipstick , so repaired that and now it has leaked out the cam seal into the dist , creating a nice little fire and burning the rotor and cover , so the questions are , is this a common problem with these motors ? , when I blow compressed air down the breather hose from the cam cover it seems to flow ok , though when the engine was running and I placed my hand over the oil filler hole the pressure did build up to quite some degree , is there a valve or control in the recirculation system that will close off this recirculation when the engine is running ?

or some other reason that i am not thinking off that would allow the pressure to build ...

can the recirculation system under the intake manifold be removed and cleaned without removing the intake manifold itself ?

this engine has gotten hot once when the radiator / hose junction failed , no typical head gasket issues are evident and there are no hydrocarbons in the cooling system , is it possible though for combustion to be getting into the crankcase ??

does anyone know the head torque figures so i can check the head tension , have done a quick check and they seem very tight , not getting any movement when giving them a tweak

I should have guessed that the cover was securing the cams but no ....

thanks for any help i get ..
Old 06-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Default RE: oil now leaks from cam seal , burns out rotor

Vent box under the intake is most likely clogged.
The intake will have to come off to get to it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Default RE: oil now leaks from cam seal , burns out rotor

And I would replace the entire PCV system as a kit; many on-line vendors sell kits:

FCP Groton:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-ex...36/by_year/45/

eEuro:
http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresu...2&cat=1021

IPD
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-850/Engi...-1-72-153-849/

Make sure to get the new intake manifold gasket; some kits include it. I would also re-replace the oil cap gasket & dipstick O-ring, because they are darn cheap.

JPN