Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

oil in spark plug hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil in spark plug hole

hey guys l need your help with something.l replaced my lifters a few weeks ago and it seems like the spark plug seals came off a little bit and its letting oil into the spark plug hole.a friend of mine recommended a spark plug extension.what is that? l want to know what guys on here think before l get it.l might want to use that till l get the chance to open up the valve cover.will it stop the oil from getting into the plugs?
also can l remove the valve cover without removing the timing belt just to replace the spark plug seal?
any suggestions will be appreciated.thank you

Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, if you pull that cam cover with the timing belt parts still attached it will likely cause the cams to snap, lift from the back, etc. Don't try skimming on that. You'll have to pull the belt, remove the cam cover, do all that clean up, reseal the cover and torque it all down all over again. Yes it will likely take 4 hours but that's a bad/sad mistake.

Don't get any plug extensions, just do the job ASAP.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM

thank you brother for the reply.l will do that asap but my landlord is being a pain and complaining about me working on my car where l park it. l need the car to drop off my sister at work and all and find time and go over my friends house and get it done soon.will leaving it to leak cause a big problem if left for about a day or two?thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a spark plug extension and I have no clue why anyone would recommend it for your situation. They are normally used to get the plug out of the combustion chamber to keep them from being fouled out if you have a ring or valve problem where the engine is burning too much oil.
When your

Attached Thumbnails oil in spark plug hole-spark-plug-non-fouler.jpg  

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 08-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
This is a spark plug extension and I have no clue why anyone would recommend it for your situation.
l guess it will not stop the oil from getting into the plugs?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Administrator

If the oil is leaking from the seal on the valve cover it's going to continue to leak into the spark plug well. Only difference is the plug would be sitting up a bit higher in the hole and it's just one more thing that might seize, strip or cause a driveability problem as the plug in now out of the combustion chamber. Not a good idea

You want to make sure you use a little anti-seize on the spark plug threads so you don't have any issue with one seizing into the head

Attached Thumbnails oil in spark plug hole-anti-seize-jar.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM

If the oil is leaking from the seal on the valve cover it's going to continue to leak into the spark plug well. Only difference is the plug would be sitting up a bit higher in the hole and it's just one more thing that might seize, strip or cause a driveability problem as the plug in now out of the combustion chamber. Not a good idea

You want to make sure you use a little anti-seize on the spark plug threads so you don't have any issue with one seizing into the head
wow brother thank you soo much. so can l use this anti-seize on the spark plugs and drive it for a day or two till l find time to take the cam cover off?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator

anti-seize is something that you can use on anything. Any time you are assembling something where the fastener is steel and you're screwing it into a similar metal or especially when it's a dis-similar type of metal (steel spark plug, aluminum head) it's a good idea to use it.
You don't need to use it and it's nothing to do with the oil leak. It's just a preventative measure in a normal installation.

"A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°Cto 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant – ideal for marine use. Non-aerosol version meets Mil Spec #907E. Aerosol - Level 3*"

You should be OK running with the leak for a couple days as long as that leak doesn't fill up the hole and start coming out the top of the cover. In that case you're leaking too much to risk driving it.

Attached Thumbnails oil in spark plug hole-blown-engine-cartoon.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM

anti-seize is something that you can use on anything. Any time you are assembling something where the fastener is steel and you're screwing it into a similar metal or especially when it's a dis-similar type of metal (steel spark plug, aluminum head) it's a good idea to use it.
You don't need to use it and it's nothing to do with the oil leak. It's just a preventative measure in a normal installation.

"A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing and to assure easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°Cto 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant – ideal for marine use. Non-aerosol version meets Mil Spec #907E. Aerosol - Level 3*"

You should be OK running with the leak for a couple days as long as that leak doesn't fill up the hole and start coming out the top of the cover. In that case you're leaking too much to risk driving it.
thanks brothers for your input. l really appreciate it.could have looked at it tomorrow but my landlord is being a pain.will have to go over my friends house and take the cover off.thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't pull that plug out or it will allow the oil to drian into the piston area. Just leave it like it is until you are ready to fix it. One of my old neighbors has had that problem for years on his Nissan Maxi, just keeps driving it.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Don't pull that plug out or it will allow the oil to drian into the piston area. Just leave it like it is until you are ready to fix it. One of my old neighbors has had that problem for years on his Nissan Maxi, just keeps driving it.
thank you brother.l will do just that.much appreciated