Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

One Side Of My Radio Has Lights Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One Side Of My Radio Has Lights Out

Either this just happened or I never noticed it before, but only the right side of my radio lights up when I turn my lights on. I'm pretty sure it worked when I first bought the car because I did some driving at night. I did take the console out to replace the microswitch, and I may have not driven at night since then. Could I have not plugged something in right when I did that, or is just a bulb that burned out in the radio? How do you get to the radio bulbs if that's the case?

Old 08-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: One Side Of My Radio Has Lights Out

No that will just happen.
I have heard some people say they replaced the bulbs before.
There might be a post here about it.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have problem with the radio as well. I have the lights on the display but radio stoped working for some reason?! When it's on all I see on the display are the channels, fm1 for instance and I hear noise from the speakers. Next time I turn it on it doesnt power up at all? Really strange. Everything is plugged in and I switched radio's, I took one from my wife's car and it works fine so all the connections are fine but what happened to the radio unit all of a sudden? [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: hordezla

I have problem with the radio as well. I have the lights on the display but radio stoped working for some reason?! When it's on all I see on the display are the channels, fm1 for instance and I hear noise from the speakers. Next time I turn it on it doesnt power up at all? Really strange. Everything is plugged in and I switched radio's, I took one from my wife's car and it works fine so all the connections are fine but what happened to the radio unit all of a sudden? [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Your radio is going bad time to replace.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's what I thought. Already located one for $35, will replace it..thanks!

Old 08-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Administrator

That is a cheap price I hope all is good.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have one from my 94 850 Turbo. It's the SC-810. It works fine. I am getting ready to put it on e-bay. I also have the CD Changer that goes in the glove box. I am probably going to put it in the R.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...howtopic=28017

rubusen writes...

Here is a link to instructions for replacing the light bulbs in an SC-810.
http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/i...showtopic=8357

As the writer says, the process for the SC-816 is just a little different, in that 1) you have to remove screws from the face plate as well as pry the plastic latches off the stops on the chassis, 2) the bulbs are the newer type that are on a removable base, and 3) you'll need 5 ea. Chicago miniature bulbs #7219 (I got mine at Radio Shack 2/$1.49).

So when you remove the front plate, do so gently to be sure you have released all the screws--there's a little metal tab on the **** side that is held on by a screw--it's deceptive, since the metal tab is attached both to the face plate and to the chassis by a screw. I say deceptive, because I couldn't figure why the face plate wouldn't release after loosening the tabs and removing the screws that I could tell went through the plastic of the face plate; then I spied the little metal tab, took out the screw, and the faceplate came free.

Removing the circuit board is the same as the writer explains.

Take the bulbs out from the back side of the circuit board, and examine the base. You will see that each of the long bulb contact wires comes through the base and makes 2 wraps around the flange of the plastic bulb holder. The top of the flange is the area where contact is made with the circuit board. I used a sharp, pointed knife to remove the melted spots on the back of the flange where the wires are held on with the melted plastic. You'll know what I mean when you examine one. Cutting off that plastic makes it possible to dig out the end of the wire so you can unwrap the contact wires and pull the whole bulb + wire out through the front of the bulb holder.

Before installing the new bulb, be sure to take the blue cover off the old bulb and put it on the new one. Without the cover, the radio is way too bright and white at night.

Insert the new bulb's contact wires through the holes and wrap the new wires in the same pattern that the old bulb wires were installed. Be sure that you get clean side-by-side wraps on the top side of the flange with the new wires. Cut off the contact wire flush at the base at the same spot the old one was cut. Install the bulb.

I recommend that you replace all 5 bulbs when you're there--trust me, you don't want to do this again in a couple of months

http://www.volvospeed.com/vs_forum/i...showtopic=8357
Mike H. II writes...

This procedure covers how to replace the lights inside the stock radio on a Volvo 850. I realize many people have replaced their car stereo by now but I’m throwing this procedure out there in case a couple people want to get their stereo lit again like I did. I originally did this work three years ago and posted the info elsewhere but since all the bulbs are still lit I figured it won’t hurt to get it into the archives here.

My car is a ’93 850 with the original SC-810 radio. Like many parts on the ‘93’s, the later stereo models are a little different but this procedure would apply to the later models too. The SC-810 uses 6.75V bulbs that are seemingly impossible to find. I used 5V bulbs that were just slightly brighter than the remaining bulbs so I recommend replacing them all. Just as your 12V car runs at 12.5V-13.5V, running a 5V bulb at about 6.5V seems to work OK, at least for three years so far. The intensity and color of the new bulbs matched the other dash lights very well. I keep my dash light brightness slider at about 80% brightness which is still easily readable and seems to greatly extend the bulb life.

Parts list for SC-810:
7 bulbs , T-1 miniature, Chicago Miniature Lamp P/N 683 (5V). I purchased at www.newark.com, P/N 96F5813, a 10 pack for $13. They have a $25 minimum order at that site.

Later models:
6 bulbs , T-1 miniature, Radio Shack type 7219 (12V), P/N 272-1092C, 2 pack about $1.69

1.) Find the radio code first – then remove the radio by pressing in the little latches on the side so they pop out and you can pull the unit out. Undo the connectors and pull out the antenna.

2.) Start disassembly with the ***** – they pull straight off. I had to pry a little with cardboard under the little screwdriver so I didn’t mark the faceplate. Remove a screw on each side in the black plastic track closest to the faceplate. On the top and bottom of the radio you will need to pry the faceplate off the metal frame of the radio. If you go gently, you’ll be able to see where it’s clipped on. This is a very complicated plastic part so you really don’t want to hurry and crack it.

3.) The printed circuit board you now see has all the bulbs on it in small plastic holders. The board is held in by 4 little twists of metal that passed through the board. Gently straighten them with a needlenose plier so they will be able to pass through the slot in the board. (Later model radios have 3 screws instead). The board now is removed by pulling straight out, but there is no easy way to do that. The pins that are still connected behind the board are near the preset button and volume **** areas. Gently pry from the sides a little being sure the metal tabs will pass through the circuit board but don’t bend anything too much. Once the board is free, the new bulbs can be installed.

4.) The bulbs are soldered into little plastic sockets that are soldered onto the board. I de-soldered the sockets from the boards to make it easier but you probably don’t have to. (Later model radios have sockets that untwist from the board) Remove the old bulb from the socket by twisting the bulb back and forth until the wires break off at the bulb. Pull the remaining wires out the sides of the socket and don’t cut them off. The bulb has a small rubbery cover that must be reused to give the correct green color. Gently roll the edge back without tearing it to remove them. Press the cover over the new bulb. Insert the new bulb into the socket by fishing the new long wires out the opposite sides of the socket. Be sure they aren’t crossed under the bulb anywhere. Twist the old wires and new wires together, solder, and cut off the excess. Resolder the socket to the board if you removed it.

5.) Reassemble the board by pressing it into the radio body, being sure the little metal tabs pass through the board and the pins enter the sockets underneath. Twist the metal tabs just a little to lock the board in place. (Later models replace the screws). Verify the bulbs will fit into the holes in the faceplate. Be sure there are no finger prints on the inside of the faceplate before you snap it back in place. Replace the two screws on the sides and press the ***** back on. Plug the radio back in the car and enter the code.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a lot of work to replace light bulbs! I know I will need them in the winter so I still have time. I hardly ever drive after dark in the Summer. It was pretty dark when I went to work the other day because of a storm and that's when I noticed it. Thanks fopr the info. I was going to do it soon, but after reading that I'm in no hurry.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:33 PM

My car has an SC-815. I needed Part No. and Serial No., so the dealer could look up security codes.

Along the side edges, below the lower half, there is a hidden tab/slit on each side. Obtain a nail file, thin screwdriver blade, or whatever (even your finger nail will work if long enough). Insert object and press in against hidden tab for about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The tab is spring-loaded and it will pop out half-way. Pull tab out the rest of way. The tab has a circle/loop. Place finger into loop and gently pull. The radio will begin to come out, like a desk drawer. Continue to pull gently and you will be able to remove radio. At this point, you will have access cables, wires, and antenna cord.

I hope that this info helps new owners!!!

Old 08-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

What a pain in the old whazoo! I had nothing better to do today since I was not aloud to drive or go to work because I had a colonoscopy this morning. So I decided I know the bulbs in the radio need to be changed and if I do that the wife won't have me doing other crap around the house. What a poor design. I can not believe how much you have to do to change light bulbs in a radio! I could not hav figured it out w/o these directions that's for sure.

On thing I will say if you are going to do this, is to try and get brighter bulbs. I got the ones from Radio Shack and they are not very bright, but there is no way I am doing anything about it now. They are in and it I can see them.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Hey - you guys did this project 2 years ago - everything still working fine?

I myself have the same problem (2000 S70) 2 out of 5 lights ARE working. Also unique: my backlight for thecrystal displayhas never worked in the dark - which makes it hard to see track numbers and frequencies in the dark.

I attempted this project today using those Raido Shack bulbs with interesting results. I found the housings to be very delicate and broke one attempting to break the old lead to theold lightoff. In the end I needed to just "tape" the new leads onto the circuit board - (I saved theremaining oldhousings)

My results were a panic: Now my display displayed gibberish! And I think only 2 of 5 lights were still working and they're not the same two!

So, I started again, rechecked my connections (again, with the tape, but man, it seemed tough to get those old leads off under that melted plastic....and I was losing time...) I also wiped down the back of the circuit board.

I placed the radio back into the dash and was happy enough to see my display now displaying correctly that I could care less about the other lighting issues! In the end I picked up my mess, and called it an afternoon. I'm right back where I started with 2 our of 5 working, which isn't terrible...considering I saw what could of been worse.

For others attempting thisproject: Use a "small electrical" screwdriver set, and use a lot of light. This forum and thread have been most helpful.

Rick

Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM

yallshould just upgrade the crappy radio to an aftermarket one

Old 11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Try taking one of the lights out of the 850 or S70 radio to a Honda dealer and see if they can match the bulbs. I read this somewhere, but have not tried it yet. They have the back and everything so you don't have to mess with the thin little wires glued into plastic. Let us know what you find.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:58 AM

Ya, I found em, Jim... My route at work takes me past a Volvo dealership in Keene, NH on Fridays....so last friday I stopped in on company time....

ready for this?? $9 a bulb!!!!but they come with the bluecolored covers.I figure I'll pick one upevery Friday and slowly change them all one at a time. But without the backlight on the display I still cant see the radio frequency in the dark...

sigh...

Rick

Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

$9.00 a bulb? Wow, did you try going to Honda? If they work, they will be much cheaper I'm sure.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 AM

I saved my receipt and I'm going to bring an old bulb to work with this friday. Turns out I got the wrong one - too big. I was close though considering I picked up the first replacement on a whim and had to go from memory to help the parts guy out. Till next week...

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Are these the same bulbs that would illuminate the sunroof, rear defrost, etc. buttons?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: dkbmx8485

Are these the same bulbs that would illuminate the sunroof, rear defrost, etc. buttons?
Negative. The bulbs used in the radio (Alpine, J@p@nese, BTW[8D]) are smaller and are kind of embedded in the socket. I once tried to remove one and ended up shattering it. So, I soldered one but the one I used was darker than the original bulbs.

You should be able to find the bulbs for the dash switches at Radio Shack. The spec may not match but the ones I bought at RS were brighter than the originals, which I liked. But this process requires soldering, except I remember that someone noted that it may not need soldering but I read it AFTER I fixed mine[8D].

JPN

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

My lights went out again on the radio that I had done previously. I went to Honda and got their bulbs and they worked fine. Had to give them a little extra push, but they did go in and they do work.

One thing to watch for though is the little blue condoms that go over the bulbs. You will need to keep them and put them on the Honda bulbs.

Little blue condoms, that's pretty funny if I do say so myself! They are a pain to take off without tearing them. Not too hard to put on though.

Quick Reply: One Side Of My Radio Has Lights Out