Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Overheating and oil on manifold? Any damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating and oil on manifold? Any damage?

Hey guys so apparently today the car was overheating for some unknown reason I assumed that the engine oil cap was loose didn't look very tight and there seem to be wet marks around the engine oil cap. Is there a reason why it would even come out thou?

By the time I had deduced that the car was overheating and open the hood up there was a bit of steam, the car was working fine I parked it before I even opened up the hood. The temperature gauge was 1 point above centre so thats why it took so long before I took notice. Anyhow I was wondering is there any chance of damage? I hope not...but best to know right.

Also the oil stick has white clumps all over it...does it mean it too dry? Normally I don't take after these things so I am not quite sure any insight would be helpful thanks!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

It could be a lot of things. The engine oil cap has a seal under it and it has probably gone bad. It is an easy fix. The overheating could be a lot of things. First, when the car is cold, check the coolant level and refill if necessary. Then check all the hoses and connections for leaks. Start the car and run it to see what happens. If it starts to overheat again, shut it down and go from there. White milky oil could be either the oil has moisture in it from a lot of short trips in cold weather, or it could be water/coolant in it from a blown head gasket (worst case scenario)

Once you get the overheating issue pinned down, change the oil.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM

+1.....Over heating and something white in oil could be the favouring symptoms for a blown headgasket but make it sure before you start stripping the head off.
Any contamination of coolant?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:58 AM

had a mechanic look at it and he said the white stuff is condensation due to the cold air during the winter. -24 C here recently so pretty damn cold. Replaced the engine oil, there drips he also said onto the exhaust manifold which caused the smell. This is his take on it. Also many drips said fixing that i might as well get a new car. Damn >< anyhow thanks for the effort guys. The car heats up faster than before. I can't tell if he's wrong or not...but the coolant level is still high and oil level is also. Smell hasn't been around for a while at fully warmed temperature. Any other ideas let me know =D!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would keep an eye on the fluid levels, and drive the car. WHen the weather finally warms up, crawl under it and look for the oil leaks he is talking about. Post what you find to the group here and we can help you repair it, probably for less than you might think.