Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parts questions

I am new to this site and I am trying to decide which parts to use on my 1995 850 GLT. I want to put in new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I have always heard that you should use all oem parts when replacing ignition components for most reliable results. I have read some posts here but I cannot decide which cap and rotor to use that are actually oem without going out in 5 degree weather to the car itself.

I am planning to order from one of the following websites:

http://www.volvopartsdirect.com
or
http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com

one site says bosch is the oem cap and the other lists an oem cap with the following part number : #SIGB464

Is there any online resource around that lists actual oem part numbers for my vehicle? The car runs great but the wires are at least 6 years old.
I plan to use bosch platinums for plugs
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: parts questions

I bought my ignition parts at www.rockauto.com. Buy the Bosch distrib cap and rotor, and Bougicord plug wires.

Regarding plus I bought NGK Iridium IX, without any problem, but most people recommend standard Volvo plugs.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I justfitted a new cap, rotor and wires (from my local supplier) - all Bosch, andI fitted Volvo plugsas I had heard from several sourcesthat non-Volvo plugs don't perform as well - not sure if there is any truth in this but they were not much more in price than NGK or Bosch. Car runs pefectly.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:25 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Greetings from Chicagoland (though I really wish to go back to good old North East someday, including MA where some of my friends are. In my prejudice, people in MA are MUCH nicer than people in C.....).

Anyway, many of the tune-up questions are answered at the following:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

I'll copy & paste what I posted in the past:

ROUTINE TUNE-UP ITEMS:

1. Spark Plugs (Genuine Volvo or Bosch Platinum is a good choice, I use Bosch Platinum).
2. Plug Wires (French Bougicord is the OEM, Bosch makes them as well but I went with the OEM).
3. Distributor Cap & Rotor (Bosch is the OEM).
4. Air Filter (MANN is the OEM).
5. Fuel Filter (Bosch is the OEM).
6. Tyre Rotation (watch out for the rotation direction arrow on the sidewall).
7. Exterior/Interior Light Bulbs.
8. Checking for Transmission Fluid Level.
9. Checking for Power Steering Fluid Level.
10. Checking for Brake Fluid Level.
11. Checking for Coolant Level (must not be at MAX mark when cold, it has to be about the middle between MAX & MIN). Should you decide to replace coolant, use high-quality coolant and avoid cheap/generic brands. I use Prestone, as Volvo genuine coolant was $20/gallon.
12. Checking for the Condition of Battery (Do multimeter test & S.G test).
13. Check the condition of serpentine accessory belt. I usually replace it once/2 years or 20,000 miles.

The above replacement items have different intervals, some may need replacing soon, some can be deferred until later. Also, it may not be a bad idea to do the alignment, if there is no servicing record. However, if the car runs straight with the hands off the steering, it probably is ok and can be deferred until later.

Also, if the alternator is original, replace it NOW. Mine failed at 130,000 miles/12 years, and safety factor concerned, 100,000 miles/10 years is about the life for original alternator. I recommend rebuilt Bosch with lifetime warranty (I got mine from Pep-Boys, about $220), or a new alternator. If this thing dies, your sister would be in trouble! If the age of battery is unknown and the tests show poor results, I would replace the battery as well (I personally like Interstate Battery).

Lastly, the old adage "You get what you pay for" absolutely applies to maintaining Volvo, so when it comes to parts, you want to go with OEM or of higher quality. For complex problems, it pays to go to Volvo dealer/shops that specialize in Swedish/European cars, even though they charge more than other average town garages.

---END OF COPY---

Yes, Volvos, as well as many imports, are VERY sensitive to parts quality. I always try to go with OEM, they are 15-30% more expensive but in the long run it pays. I myself use FCP Groton of CT as the primary parts source:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm#850

Groton has good parts illustration that no one else seems to have, and they list part numbers as well. It usually gets to Chicago within 2-5 days, it may befaster in MA. Check out their Web and see how you like it.

Good luck,

JPN