Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Pay on the front end or on the back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pay on the front end or on the back!

Well I was looking for an economical driver rather then spending more for a later model. What I found was a true one owner 1994 with 72,000 miles. Unfortunately it was pretty much maintained hit and miss at jiffy lube with very little time spent at the Volvo dealer. My mechanic called me with a list broken down into must do, recommend but can wait and when ever you want. Timing belt and associated components will be changed inluding the water pump which is leaking slightly. Breather system is clogged requireing removal of the intake to clean out. Left fron caliper piston is seized and all brake hoses are suspect and will be replaced, cam sensor is bad and will be replaced. Both upper strut bushing need replaced as well as several other bushing that are cracked and falling out. All filters will be changed and fluids flushed and renewed. Drivers seat back cable needs replace. Left outside mirror motor to be replaced with a working used unit. Complete tune up to be performed. Good news is the fram e is solid with no evidence of damage or accident of any kind and no rust. Overall a decent car that has to be brought back to my standards both for reliability and longevity. Was it worth it? Only time will tell.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Pay on the front end or on the back!

I think it will be very well worth it.

Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Don 't forget to tell your mechanic to replace serpentine belt.

There are several things that you can replace yourself. Search for my how-to posts on...

.. change ATF
.. replace Thermostat and ECT
.. replace bulbs in dash switches

Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 PM

We'll I talked to the tech working on my car and he says it will be done tomorrow. He said it runs great after all of the above work including a complete tune up. All belts were changed including the serpentine. It also needed upper and lower radiator hoses. He said the breather system was so clogged up he didn't know haow it ran as good as it did. All fluids were changed and it needed an alignment as it pulled somewhat to the right. He said the tapping noise at cold start is all but gone after cleaning the system and addign fresh oil. I guess the money was well spent as it sounds as teh 72,000 mile car should not be good for at least 172,000 miles! I will get it back tomorrow evening and advise.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Well, I got the car back yesterday and it runs great and everything works. I guess I could have just bought an 850 that was twice as much as what I paid but then there still would not have been any guarantee that more money would not have been spent on unseen repairs. I now have a car that I can depend on and will maintain it from here on out correctly.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:47 PM

A couple of things to be aware of...

The glove box handle/latch is very fragile.
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=2870
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/cha...pic.php?t=5254

Some folks remove the plastic cover over windshield wiper motors and use a shop vac to remove all debris in air ducts to AC and Heater. These folks believe that dirt settles into AC Evaporator causing it to rust. FCP Groton offers a cabin air filter (that is installed under this plastic cover) to keep all of the dirt and debris out.